ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So my 172 has an oil leak!...

Bought it on Friday, and now has a pretty large oil leak. Had it check out by a local garage and it looks like it's leaking into the cambelt casing... What are my rights in getting my money back as this obviously is not fit for purpose, and how to I go about this?
The car had an Mot when I bought it and it says on the advisories "oil leak?" which shows that it had an oil leak when I purchased it.

Thank you
Rizzel

Mk3 dci
I dont think theres much you can do as it states on the MOT doc that it has the leak.. Not sure if warrenty would still cover it but its still probs a pain in the arse cos they'll try the "wear and teat" or that you're not driving right :/

The MOT was done after I put a deposit on the car, so before the transaction was complete it had its MOT done... he told me it passed, but didn't tell me that it said it had an oil leak. So surely, I was sold a car that is not fit for purpose?

If you bought it from a dealer you have 6 months warranty but this does not give you the right to bill the dealer without letting them repair it first.

They will often say you only have one or three months but that is incorrect.

If they refuse to rectify the issue then you may take them to the small claims court and I'll get you the link to some previous cases because the judge will rule in your favour so it's cheaper for the garage to bite the bullet and fix the issue before it gets taken any further.

pimp mobile Zafira
If you bought it from a dealer you've got 28 days to notify them of any issues so they can be sorted outside any warranty. After 28 days you would have to see if your warranty would cover it.

Great, thanks for the replies, will see what the dealer says tomorrow. Am I better to call them and let them know, or just take the car there?

pimp mobile Zafira
In my experience I would call them ASAP just to let them know about the issue. By just turning up your not guaranteed to get it on the ramps and be looked at there and then. If you haven't already I'd do a walk round the car jotting any issues down so they can be looked at also. The only other way to deal with problems outside of the 28 days and if no warranty is the sales if goods act and that is a nightmare. Good luck mate

In my experience I would call them ASAP just to let them know about the issue. By just turning up your not guaranteed to get it on the ramps and be looked at there and then. If you haven't already I'd do a walk round the car jotting any issues down so they can be looked at also. The only other way to deal with problems outside of the 28 days and if no warranty is the sales if goods act and that is a nightmare. Good luck mate

Ok will call them when they open in the morning and see what they say. thanks

lol its hard to enjoy it knowing there is oil leaking onto the cambelt.

Sorry one last thing, my mechanic that had a look at the car also said that he thinks the engine that is in there now isnt the original engine that was put in the car. Is there anyway that I can prove this. If this is the case, then the engine could have done 200,000 miles for all I know right?

Black 172
Good thing you bought from a dealer. You have the right to reject faulty goods and get a full refund within a "reasonable time frame", which is generally a few days after buying. They should be fixing this for you, and if they refuse your probably within your rights to demand a refund. Try to follow this up ASAP as the longer you leave it the less rights you have. As time passes the law allows for used cars to develop faults.

As for the engine being swapped, I don't think you can do anything about this. As long as it's a 2 litre engine as described, then you got what you bought.

Good thing you bought from a dealer. You have the right to reject faulty goods and get a full refund within a "reasonable time frame", which is generally a few days after buying. They should be fixing this for you, and if they refuse your probably within your rights to demand a refund. Try to follow this up ASAP as the longer you leave it the less rights you have. As time passes the law allows for used cars to develop faults.

As for the engine being swapped, I don't think you can do anything about this. As long as it's a 2 litre engine as described, then you got what you bought.

Have already email consumer direct for advice, just awaiting a response from them. Going to call the garage in the morning and see what they say. Will post what the outcome is tomorrow, thanks for the advice :D

Why does your mate think it's got a different lump in it?

He said there are bits of the lump that have been sprayed which is a sign that it has been out... doesn't necessarily mean its a new engine but the ***** thing has been out for one or another reason. There is some yellow paste stuff between parts of the engine which looks like it was an engine that has been reconditioned. I'm no mechanic, so just saying what he said.

Anyway took it back yesterday and it is getting repaired. Looks like when the cambelt was done, something wasn't put back right.

So the garage took it back, had the engine in pieces to replace two seals on the cam shaft.... been told it is now 'as dry as a bone'....

went straight back to work after picking the car up... reverse after I finish, and there is a small patch of oil on the floor!
Had the car sitting at work from 10 this morning till 11 at night... moved the car and there was a patch on the floor about 10cm across...

advice on what to do now please??
I dont want to have to drive all the way to the garage again, its nearly an hour away...
Should I call them and tell them it still has a leak but I dont want to drive all the way there, or....?

:( feel I have wasted £3500

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
£3500 grand?!! That's to buy the car and have the engine work done?
You could have bought a mint 172 for that, or even a half decent 182!!

I'd ring them to at least see what they say.

Last edited:
  Black 172
Try rejecting the car, you shouldn't have to put up with this after spending £3.5k and you've given them the chance to fix it and they failed.

172DD Cup
What he said. Reject the car under the sale of goods act. If they get funny do it in writing. tell them you've been advised you can also recover out of pocket expenses ie cost of travel to and from location. If you've got home insurance it might include free legal advice if you've paid for it. Go post a thread up on consumer action group forum, they'll point you to letter templates you can use.

sent via tapatalk

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
There is a very good chance that the vehicle has more than one oil leak

im not sure about the oil leaking from the gearbox, will be taking it to my mates garage this morning so he can get it up on the ramp and have a look... Im really pissed off.

Am I entitled to get my money back now?

Black 172
Probably but you need to hurry. You've only got a very short time to reject goods outright and get a full refund. As time passes your rights diminish.

320d
I'd try and reject it as above. £3500 for a leggy 172 is very expensive. There have been some superb examples gone on here for £2500. Mint PH1's are under £2K now and they're the best ones any way.

172DD Cup
worms
a
can
of
up
open
;)

it is expensive though. £3500 would get you a decent 182, unless of course you're buying on finance than obviously you'll have to pay a small premium. if you are buying on finance or hp, then the credit company has some responsibility here as they "own" the car.

i'm 99.9% sure they will have changed the cam seals, and fitted a non vvt seal to the vvt pulley

how can I tell if they fitted the wrong seals?

Im going to call them to tell them there is still a leak, this will be the second and last time I give them the chance to fix it, then I will be asking for my money back. I really like the car which is a shame

So he told me to bring it up tomorrow, said they ran it for 30 mins to make sure there were definitely no leaks... could it possibly be residue left in the tray from where it was leaking before? Isnt there like spongy stuff in there that absorbs the oil?

172DD Cup
So he told me to bring it up tomorrow, said they ran it for 30 mins to make sure there were definitely no leaks... could it possibly be residue left in the tray from where it was leaking before? Isnt there like spongy stuff in there that absorbs the oil?

arguably the garage should have cleaned anything up, but you really should find out if it's actually leaking first. you're going to look a bit foolish if you turn up and it's not leaking.

Get it fixed and tell them they'll get the invoice from renault

Lol as nice as that would be, I doubt the garage would be like, oh yeah ok then Ill pay it now..

arguably the garage should have cleaned anything up, but you really should find out if it's actually leaking first. you're going to look a bit foolish if you turn up and it's not leaking.

So I lifted the car up and took off the tray, there is oil all hanging off the sump, im sure they would have cleaned all that up when it was 'fixed' before... taking it up to them this lunch.

And I cant tell if its coming from the same place.. doesnt matter really, there is oil leaking and im not leavning them alone till it is fixed...

If they cant fix it this time im getting my money back lol

(59) Clio Extreme
Lol as nice as that would be, I doubt the garage would be like, oh yeah ok then Ill pay it now..

So I lifted the car up and took off the tray, there is oil all hanging off the sump, im sure they would have cleaned all that up when it was 'fixed' before... taking it up to them this lunch.

And I cant tell if its coming from the same place.. doesnt matter really, there is oil leaking and im not leavning them alone till it is fixed...

If they cant fix it this time im getting my money back lol

My car was doing exactly the same. I went away on holiday 2 weeks ago and got a phone call saying my car had a oil leak. My mum took it to the garage on Tuesday that just passed and apparently it was the gaskets had burst or something and to top it all off it was backfiring like mad with no power aswell. Still not got it back!