ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So the amplifier is the culprit!

Yozza'd Titanium 182
My amplifier wont turn off even when the keys arnt in the ignition.
Why is this?

It has been giving me flat batterys

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Ok been out and inspected it abit more...

When the CD player and the Remote wire are completley removed the amplifier shows the red saftey light.

When the CD player and the Remote wire are connected the green light comes on.

What i can't understand is why?? its one simple wire going from the back of the head unit straight to the amp.

The earth is a good solid earth.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
The remote wire is going from the amplifier to the blue wire coming from the back of the amp... its the only wire it could go to.

Also it has been working fine for like 4 months.

Polo + Micra
so i was right? :cool:

i'd say cd player is goosed if it is sending a constant +ve down the remote wire

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
The remote wire is going from the amplifier to the blue wire coming from the back of the amp... its the only wire it could go to.

Also it has been working fine for like 4 months.

That doesnt make sense :S

A blue wire(Remote) needs to go from the Amp straight into the back ov the Headunit. if this is not connected then it will not work to your needs. so better to check you have them fitted properly dude

Polo + Micra
if i had to guess again

i'd say the the amp had a bad earth but picked one up through the phono leads and has goosed the circuit board in the cd player and now it applies 12v to the remote as soon as it gets a supply

Yozza'd Titanium 182
the earth isnt bad tho... plus when i remove the cd player ( unplugging the remote and phono the light is still on but its red

Polo + Micra
so what is it then?

if the amp was wired up right and working fine it should have no lights on with everything connected but with the cd player off.

i know it may have been earthed in the same place for months could it not have come loose? oxidised a bit? cable frayed?

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Well lets put it this way... The problem is on of the following

1) Bad earth - but its not a bad earth and hasnt come loose
2.) Head unit is goosed - I have had the head unit about 2/3 week (possible)
3.) The amp has had it - Its not been dropped or bumped as its secure

I guess the only way to sort it is to just borrow an amp and wire it up and see what happens.

If the light still wont go off then the head units had it
If the light goes off, it prooves its the amp.

Polo + Micra
if the amp found and earth through the cd player and sent some current down it it would possible fry a cd player in about 5 secs even if the cd player was about 5 secs old

if you change the amp and connect it up and it's fine then i'd say it was the amp

if you change the amp and you get a fault/protect light then i'd say it was the wiring

if you change the amp and it comes on with the cd player off then it's probably the cd player

also don't connect the phono leads just the power cables

I made a new earth in my old 172 by drilling next to the spare wheel well, through to underneath the car. Sanded back the paint, bolted in the earth and painted over.

I recommend doing it this way rather than use the rear seat mounting bolts like most people do.

Impreza WRX
if you have just bought the stereo, cant you whip the old 1 back in? only takes 2 mins, my guess is head unit connections. Like the head unit is getting a constant live even when the car is off. Worth a go mate

try swapping the red and yellow wires over behind the HU, they should just be bullet connectors. One is the constant live and the other is the ignition wire.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
its earthed to the seatbelt, my old HU is knackerd thats why i have the new one

Dink - i think you may be correct!

Il try the above and get back to you ( i will try a different earth too! )

vaux cavalier
If the amp shows a red protect light with the remote feed disconnected, (as stated in previous post), then its an amplifier fault...Simples...

Yozza'd Titanium 182
right bad news followed with good!

The HU is now fucked! Flickering, flashing and now won't turn on.

but...

I took it back to the shop and they kindly swapped if for a new one.

I also bought a battery when i didnt need one (amp was draining power) and they said if i bring that back they will exchange it for a new amp...

Fair enough really.

Theres been a few comments about having a good solid earth (which is the first thing i need!)

Were do you suggest is the best place!?

I've already suggested the best method of getting a good earth on your amp. Scroll up, please don't start another new thread on it.

I'll try and find you a pic of my earth point, but I sold the car 3 years ago so the pics might be long gone...

Yozza'd Titanium 182
I've already suggested the best method of getting a good earth on your amp. Scroll up, please don't start another new thread on it.

I'll try and find you a pic of my earth point, but I sold the car 3 years ago so the pics might be long gone...

lol i wont mate
made me laugh that did, yeah pic would be ace! thanks

aren't the tail light screws plastic thumb screws?

..J..a.m.e..s.. I dont have pics any more, but i'll try and explain in more detail.

Find yourself a T-8 or similar nut, bolt and 2 washers. Now, I found a section of the boot floor (under the carpet) right in the corner under the rear light. If you look right under the car you should be able to see the same flat piece of boot floor. Now, centre punch the area where you're going to drill the hole, and get your drill out. Drill a hole 1mm bigger than the bolt you are going to use to secure your earth. Make sure you can see the hole from underneath the car too. Sand away the paint and tidy up the swarf around the hole inside the boot, and push through the bolt witha washer and the earth wire attached. Tighten up the nut underneath the car after adding the 2nd washer.

Lick of paint around the area in the boot and cover it back up with the carpet.

Solid earth point. Done.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
hmm, thats the obvious place to put it, is it a good earth?!

Look under the headlight screws, you will see a 13mm bolt with like a black metal hook type there(one each side) remove that and bolt it in there, Thats a perfect Earthing point tbh. i had mine for 3years on that point until i decided i had enough of the boom boom boom

Yozza'd Titanium 182
New gear & STILL wont work!

After trial and error with not much look i have gone and got a new CD player (the same one as i had which i swapped for a new 1) and i have sorced a 2nd hand amp
I have a good earth spot too

THE GREEN LIGHT ON THE AMP STILL WONT GO OUT WHEN THE ENGINE AND IGNITION ARE OFF!!!

Here is a diagram of the setup.

help.jpg

im getting very very frustrated now

the only thing i can think of is that it must be a fault in the cd player
:(