ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So whats the deal with the VAG 20Vt conversion on these things??

172 Cup (Track)
Unfortunately i came across a Clio which someone has put a 20Vt in and now i cant see past the idea of doing it myself! :dapprove:

Seems the best way by far of getting loads of power for a decent price, doing it yourself anyway.

It would probably be a job for next winter so i can get everything else on the car working good on the track (suspension etc) and then have everything to do the conversion ready for winter.

Obviously the usual issues apply, mounts need making, driveshafts ( i read a company done them for £95 ea), and most importantly the wiring.

Is there anyone or anywhere who does any kind of dealings with the conversions or is it a case of get the welder and Autodata pin-out info at stand-by??

350bhp is very easily achieved by the 20vt and they cost very little to buy in the first place, that would be awesome in a Clio! :race:

172 Cup (Track)
Bigger turbo , injectors, fuel pump and map are main things towards that power, obviously other things inlet/ exhaust.

Anyway, thats not at question, its the fitment im wondering about??

And rods and valve train. A 350lb-ft motor is well over £2k just to build.

Fitting, just involves a few mounts made up and some driveshafts.

I'm halfway on doing one myself but it's just been pushed to the back of the yard.

172 Cup (Track)
And rods and valve train. A 350lb-ft motor is well over £2k just to build.

Fitting, just involves a few mounts made up and some driveshafts.

I'm halfway on doing one myself but it's just been pushed to the back of the yard.

Drive link do shafts for you too?

What you doing for ECU and wiring?

Is VAG ecu able to be kept?

172 Cup (Track)
It would be ideal keeping the VAG ECU as the standalone ECU will be the most expensive part of the conversion.

Far from negative, just realistic. I've had more than my fair share of tuning 1.8 20v's. Great engines, far from a cheap conversion. Especially difficult if you use the stronger 02m.

172 Cup (Track)
Far from negative, just realistic. I've had more than my fair share of tuning 1.8 20v's. Great engines, far from a cheap conversion. Especially difficult if you use the stronger 02m.

I said the standalone would be most expensive part of the conversion, which is getting the engine in and running. Wouldnt you agree? If not, please expand?

To buy a 210/225 engine and box your looking at over £1200 already. Intercooler and pipe work, turbo assuming you want an aftermarket item upwards of £900, plus a clutch, £600 was the cheapest smf clutch you could get awhile back. Converting the clio to a hydro clutch pedal etc, forged rods £350, plus gaskets £200, super tech valvetrain £600 ish. Shafts and mounts £400 ish after you've got materials etc.

172 Cup (Track)
To buy a 210/225 engine and box your looking at over £1200 already. Intercooler and pipe work, turbo assuming you want an aftermarket item upwards of £900, plus a clutch, £600 was the cheapest smf clutch you could get awhile back. Converting the clio to a hydro clutch pedal etc, forged rods £350, plus gaskets £200, super tech valvetrain £600 ish. Shafts and mounts £400 ish after you've got materials etc.

Lol why would i buy a 210/225 engine if im tuning anyway? You can buy engines for £300 complete because theyre everywhere. Same power outcome once tuned.

The CONVERSION costs, i.e whats required to get the engine in and running?? The tuning is seperate.

mounts are made yourself and cost pennys.

even brand new special made shafts are only £95 plus vat.

You convert box to cable clutch using other VW parts. Simple.

Just forget even commenting, your being negative for no reason.

You can't run a cable clutch with an 02m. You'll need an internal water pump engine, so that rules out the cheaper 20vt's. Conversion costs then, still includes a new turbo and manifold. As you won't want to run the k03 turbo as it'll be pointless to have less power than stock.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I'd have another in a flash build 2, you sound like you know your onions ;)
Can I have decent coil overs and a lsd l...

172 Cup (Track)
Id use 5 speed box and cable clutch, plenty people use them with high power and heavier cars.

Youve seen Andys thread, he used AGU and AUM, both cheap engines to buy, and he ran 370bhp through 5 speed.

As said twice now, the conversion costs are to get it in and running, before any power upgrades.

So, if i need standalone to get it running- its the most expensive part of it.