ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

so why a clio? whats peoples reasons for having one

cup 182
whats peoples reasons for owning there clio over other makes of cars just wondered as theres obv a few enthusiasts out there that like them what type of clio do you have and why?

RB 182 FF
Because it's got to be the biggest bang for buck and actually a comfortable car for everyday use! I love my 182FF, got all the tack you need in a car plus it's pretty cheap to maintain and enjoy, and the added bonus is on twisty's it's blooming great! :D

Liquid Yellow R27
I'm on my fourth Clio now. Started off with a 1.2 litre, then a 1.4 litre, then a 2.0 litre 182. Now I have a R27 (Clio 197 F1). Clio's are all I've ever owned!

For me, I've always liked the shape of them and they're just fun to drive. Handling is great and they're fairly cheap for what you get, especially the sport versions. With the 182, it's a 2 litre engine in a small, light shell. It's like owning a road legal go-kart that's also a comfortable car to use daily. It's also great on fuel for a 2 litre engine.

Just going to leave this here...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Megane r26
I've had 3 now a ph2 172, 197 and me current one a 182 trophy.

For me its the old bang for buck, they tick all the boxes. Great for hooning around a track or country lane, great for everyday use and still fairly comfortable for distance.

Plus they fairly cheap to run and repair and modify. Also I think they still look fairly modern and have most mod cons I could want for.

First ever car I drove was my parents 1.2 8v ph2, always wanted a 182 from the moment I saw them. Good bang for your buck. One of my biggest reasons for not having a more modern hot hatch is they are all huge!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
My missus likes being nailed in confined spaces and it turns out the 172/182 is also a pretty fun car to drive! #Ding-Dong

They're cheap to run, fairly cheap and easy to maintain, fairly apealing still to the eye and for sub £1200 you won't really find a car that does everything as well as these do.

Still got my first car - 1.2. I picked it because it was cheap to insure, cheap to buy, looked good, cheap to do nice little mods to and the interior although a rattle box is actually quite nice

Suzuki Jimny
Went for the 200 because it was the best value at the time. Doesn't need modifying because it's spot on as it is. The only close car was the GT86 but that's £10k extra!

My missus likes being nailed in confined spaces and it turns out the 172/182 is also a pretty fun car to drive! #Ding-Dong

They're cheap to run, fairly cheap and easy to maintain, fairly apealing still to the eye and for sub £1200 you won't really find a car that does everything as well as these do.

That explains the mark that's on my rear seats then ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Bought one in 2003 and never been long without one since. Had quite a few cars, some supposedly a lot better by normal standards but I just find it perfect for what I want-a semi practical, cheap to run fun car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You have to spend a lot of money to get a better car IMO.

No other car for £1500 Is as good as a 172. IMO of course.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
:approve:

stormgrey_zpsf5efb73b.jpg

BG V6, LY 182
Why a clio? I have no idea.

Reasons for having it? Some tit decdided to put a v6 in the back, and it worked. It's crazy. You cant get another example for the same price.

Out of the only 2 cars that were in budget, good condition etc & local enough, one was a clio & the other was a clio. so yeah :p

Listerine & Poledo
they're cheap, loaded with kit (compared to others for the money) and drive well.
also, they're gangsta.

especially 1.2's with big exhausts and some nailed-on 172 parts, they're the most gangsta ting on planet bruv

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Renaultsports? It's the brand. The association with motorsport (F1, single make series etc.), good reviews from magazines, cheap and cheerful etc.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
They are bloody good cars, for what they are!

I had literally no problem with mine in 3 years!! They handle well, go well and aren't a bomb to maintain!

And they have character imo.

133/225/CLS AMG
For me when I was learning to drive all my mates had either Ford Fiestas or Vauxhaul Novas, neither of which really did anything for me. I preferred the looks of the Clio (MKI) and because none of my mates had one I hunted down a nice little 1.2 Oasis which I loved.

Then that was it for me, had a Clio 1.2 Grande (MKII) and then a Clio 172 which put me on the RenaultSport track and that was that.

Don't get me wrong I like plenty of other cars/brands but have a soft spot for RenaultSport and their kind of underdog status. Although I sold my first 172 back in 2005 I ended up with another by chance when it came up as a complete bargain.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
cheap and fun basically

and of all the hot hatches the look and feel of them stands out. I've owned fiestas/corsas/polos and none really stood out. even the basic 1.2/1.4 etc clios are fun to drive.

brand loyalty a bit too, I like what Renault sort of stands for, less of the stigmata associated with ford or Vaux imo

i needed a cheap runabout urgently and had always veered away from anything french....needs must and a 1.2 16v dynamique came up cheap,so bit the bullet and have to say,fell in love with the little car.....it had a couple of annoying things like a leaky sunroof etc,but it kinda added to it's charm.

I was instantly converted and they are great fun to drive and pretty well spec'd for what they are.......now upgraded to a ph1 172 and have been smiling a lot more lol.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
I have absolutely no idea, but this is my second 172 cup and I'd have another any day of the week.

Possibly because I feel it's last of the original concept hot hatches, small car big lump.
I even prefer the 172 cup as it's not got all the creature comforts and feels more old school to me. Except aircon, I must have aircon when sat in the M5 traffic jams.....

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Just happened to get an amazing deal on one just down the road to me... had one previously and actually didn't like it that much! But this one's been an absolute pleasure to own :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ideal trackday toy IMHO, practical compared to a caterham etc as at least you have somewhere to carry tools and tyres etc, cheaper to run than a scooby or evo, and really good fun on track.
Surprisingly comfy long distance cruisers for a little hatch too, so perfect for ring trips or long trips to lots of uk tracks :)

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent fun on the track. I played in a 172 and a 182 that we're great fun. I own a 197 that is currently being 'track prepared'. Awesome fun for the money

cup 182
i like the 172 cup as its underrated, track focused, quick, quite rare, and a possible classic in years to come, since iv bought it my other cars hardly been used, only issue is its a 4 seater

FF Racing Blue 182
My brothers fault when he was in his early 20s he traded in his mx5 for a brand new 172 in 2002.....yep loved them sice then

I was upgrading from a 106 GTi. the 106 actually feels quicker, especially at lower revs the power seems more available. But there are very few creature comforts in them at all and they're very very dated.

I always said whenever i buy a car, it will be faster than the last. will get tough as i get older!
1.1 106, 1.4 106, 1.6 106, clio 172. No idea what's next a few years away. I'll be a doctor by then so something nice hopefully!

Clio Cup
i dont know - barring a motorbike - i can go faster from a-b than 800 quid , always has 205 gtis and mk2 golfs and they are overpriced now

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Seen a brand new 182 in black when i was 17, ever since i've always wanted a Clio Renault Sport.

So i've had four. I love them, and tbh, think i'll always have one in some way, which is pretty f**king depressing.

172, Focus
I bought mine trade price from the dealer I worked at, cheap with a view to tidy it up and sell it.
I did all the work to it that it needed and used it for a week before I put up an advert...

Then one night I happened to take it for a drive down the coast road near me and I totally fell for it.

My ep3 type r is the car that ended up being sold and I still have the Monaco and still love it just as much today as I did that night nearly 3 years ago.
The 172 is everything, in my opinion, a hot hatch should be.