ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So.... Xbox one or PS4?

Which one?

• Total voters
  Nissan 350z
Hard to say at this early time. I would have thought i will go for the Xbox One but it depends what my colleagues and friends go for as we often do Gears of War Wednesday evenings for example :cool:

So will largely depend what everyone else gets.

F82 M4
i understand that, i dable in IT, but whats the point of a pc being twice as good as a console if the games are just as good or arguably better on a console anyway.

Its all well and good having a bugatti Veyron that will do 250mph, have any of the owners been anywhere near that figure?

With PC games the game has to work with a lot of different pc capabilities whereas on a console it can wring all its power as they are designing it for what they know the user has, its a bit like the apple store vs the android equivalent. You have an iPhone, you download an app, you know it'll work, same as buying any ps4 game, whereas with a pc you have to check compatibility, you might have something already installed on the computer conflicting with the new software or you might have to keep upgrading the pc to keep up with the games, much more costly than purchasing a console and knowing all the games will work on it for the next 10 years.

this argument will always be around, but from what we are seeing so far, and this is from launch titles where they haven't even begun to grab the full potential, the games are looking stunning, by saying the ps4 is 50% as powerful as a pc, you are insinuating that we are comparing a ps1 game to a ps3 game in looks, and that just isn't the case, plus console gamers are playing on a 50" screen sitting 6ft away, pc gamers are sitting at a desk with a relatively small screen and close to it, its a different environment.

To say that if a ps4 came within 50% of a high end pc he'd buy one is ludicrous, show me a pc game that looks 2x better than what we have seen this week, these console sole purpose in life is to play amazing games well, i think we'll be ok.

Oh and if the PS4 is only 50% as good as a high end pc, and the PS4 is supposedly 50% more powerful than the xboxone............ ;)

I enjoy a good debate :cool:

Name me a game that looks better on a console than it does on the PC? :)

Yes I agree there's the problem with compatibility, however this is so much better in the modern world than the past, I can't say I have a game that doesn't work on my PC. Even the golden oldies are still booting up with no problems (there's no doubt some people do have problems though).

With regards to playing on a 50" TV compared to a monitor then it's down to personal preference. I prefer a monitor as it feels way more immersive. I'm sitting right in the action, about 80% of my view is taken up with the screen whereas only about 30% of my view is taken up sitting on a sofa 6ft away. I use a 120hz monitor as well so I can actually see games running at 120fps, that's 4 times higher than what the PS3 can push out and I believe the XBone and PS4 are limited to 60fps. The difference in 120hz compare to 60 is like night and day. Plus a lot of people play games on the PC at a higher resolution than 1080p whereas the TV's are limited to 1080p.

You need to remember that it's not the PC's fault the games don't look twice as good, it's the developers. There's no end of console ports these days, the games are simply not pushing the PC's to their limits because the consoles are holding them back. Don't get me wrong, the games still look excellent on the PS4, but the PC's will still look better. Just take a look in the PC screenshots thread above. :)

ST1050, 320d
So in short, gaming as a whole is being held back by the console market, and the consumer who isn't willing to spend mega bucks on a more capable console...

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
i understand that, i dable in IT, but whats the point of a pc being twice as good as a console if the games are just as good or arguably better on a console anyway.

Its all well and good having a bugatti Veyron that will do 250mph, have any of the owners been anywhere near that figure?

With PC games the game has to work with a lot of different pc capabilities whereas on a console it can wring all its power as they are designing it for what they know the user has, its a bit like the apple store vs the android equivalent. You have an iPhone, you download an app, you know it'll work, same as buying any ps4 game, whereas with a pc you have to check compatibility, you might have something already installed on the computer conflicting with the new software or you might have to keep upgrading the pc to keep up with the games, much more costly than purchasing a console and knowing all the games will work on it for the next 10 years.

this argument will always be around, but from what we are seeing so far, and this is from launch titles where they haven't even begun to grab the full potential, the games are looking stunning, by saying the ps4 is 50% as powerful as a pc, you are insinuating that we are comparing a ps1 game to a ps3 game in looks, and that just isn't the case, plus console gamers are playing on a 50" screen sitting 6ft away, pc gamers are sitting at a desk with a relatively small screen and close to it, its a different environment.

To say that if a ps4 came within 50% of a high end pc he'd buy one is ludicrous, show me a pc game that looks 2x better than what we have seen this week, these console sole purpose in life is to play amazing games well, i think we'll be ok.

Oh and if the PS4 is only 50% as good as a high end pc, and the PS4 is supposedly 50% more powerful than the xboxone............ ;)

You forget it's the current generation of consoles ancient life span that has made most PC games fall within the same bracket. Now that consoles are finally having a refresh, the quality in PC games will increase. PC games will (or at least can) ALWAYS look better, it's not debatable.
His argument very much balances on the possibility of developers catering better to the PC now that consoles have more fire power. People might not be arsed with the hassle that ensues sometimes with PC gaming, but that doesn't change the fact the PS4 and Xbox One are essentially on paper mid range PCs. What you saw at E3 was developers putting their backs out now that they have the hardware available on a much larger market segment.

So it's not really an argument or a debate, just a god send to both sides. Graphics will improve, everyone is happy. Enough talk about hardware now...at least until launch problems with the Xbox One lol.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
I enjoy a good debate :cool:

Name me a game that looks better on a console than it does on the PC? :)

Yes I agree there's the problem with compatibility, however this is so much better in the modern world than the past, I can't say I have a game that doesn't work on my PC. Even the golden oldies are still booting up with no problems (there's no doubt some people do have problems though).

With regards to playing on a 50" TV compared to a monitor then it's down to personal preference. I prefer a monitor as it feels way more immersive. I'm sitting right in the action, about 80% of my view is taken up with the screen whereas only about 30% of my view is taken up sitting on a sofa 6ft away. I use a 120hz monitor as well so I can actually see games running at 120fps, that's 4 times higher than what the PS3 can push out and I believe the XBone and PS4 are limited to 60fps. The difference in 120hz compare to 60 is like night and day. Plus a lot of people play games on the PC at a higher resolution than 1080p whereas the TV's are limited to 1080p.

You need to remember that it's not the PC's fault the games don't look twice as good, it's the developers. There's no end of console ports these days, the games are simply not pushing the PC's to their limits because the consoles are holding them back. Don't get me wrong, the games still look excellent on the PS4, but the PC's will still look better. Just take a look in the PC screenshots thread above. :)

this is the point i am making, the potential of the pc is nothing if the developers arent taking advantage of it.

As has been said though, it all benefits us no matter which side of the fence we are on.

£350 for a ps4 with 10 years gaming life and the impressive array of games coming out seems like a bargain though.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Both pre-ordered and looking forward to what they offer. Cracking pre-order deals, too - courtesy of my good lady. :D

Don't fret. The new generation of consoles won't hold PC titles back half as much as people think (or, arguably, as they have done before). People get hung up on how poor the console's GPU is when compared to a top-end PC. Sure, the PC will always be king but it's not just about the GPU. The fact that the new consoles have a significantly larger pool of memory to play with makes a HUGE difference as far as consoles are concerned. I'd rather have the XB1/PS4 with the planned spec as opposed to a console with 50% more GPU grunt and 50% less memory. S**tty amounts of available memory in previous consoles are generally more crippling than the perceived lack of GPU (or CPU) ability.

Mini JCW
I'm going to get my PS4 pre-ordered soon.

Wondering whether to upgrade my Panasonic plasma at the same time or wait for 4k panels to become reasonably priced.

...... Or wait for Pioneers to restart producing their legendary Kuro TV line *

* I can dream :(

Yaris Hybrid
On the topic of PC gaming. The excessively long console generation helped PC gaming IMO by helping remove some of the reputation the PC has for being overly expensive and requiring constant wallet busting upgrades. That was certainly the case in the days when most PC games were exclusive to the format back in the 90's and constantly pushed the tech. The market ended up eating itself.

These days the average Joe could buy a cheap PC and play games on it that match or exceed the graphics of consoles.

Those of us that spend big bucks on upgrades each year need to remember that we are an utterly worthless tiny niche in the eyes of developers. If you want big titles on your platform as we do then we need a big consumer base behind us. We have that at the moment.

If the consoles weren't holding back the hardware demands of PC games we would soon go into a hardware arms race and implode just like we did in the past. Very few will want to develop AAA big budget games for systems that are only owned by the minority that can afford £2500 rigs.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
I'm going to get my PS4 pre-ordered soon.

Wondering whether to upgrade my Panasonic plasma at the same time or wait for 4k panels to become reasonably priced.

...... Or wait for Pioneers to restart producing their legendary Kuro TV line *

* I can dream :(

Panasonic plasma is basically the best tv you can get, the kuro pioneer technology is in the top end panasonic tvs :) so if I were you, buy a new top end Panasonic plasma

Mini JCW
Panasonic plasma is basically the best tv you can get, the kuro pioneer technology is in the top end panasonic tvs :) so if I were you, buy a new top end Panasonic plasma

I do much prefer the richer more natural colour palette they provide. Only gripe with my now 4 year old panel is A) the power consumption and B) the lag with fast moving objects.

Worth waiting for 4k tech though?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Well a newer one would be an improvement, I don't really have any motion blurr on mine, occasionally but not that I usually notice

Up to you wether you wait for 4k, depends what price there gonna be probably in the £2000+ region, how long you keep tvs And wether anything really utilises it to the max at first. There's arguably little noticeable difference on tvs under like 60 inches

Ill probably wait till 4k is released, either buy one or get a current top end display as their price will drop

none :(
Undecided what to get, xbone has some good launch titles and better controller, however saying that maybe the ps4 controller is better to hold now.

Does the new kinnect have to be connected all the time, xbone does seen a little bulky too.

Have they finally cleared up the used game senario on Xbox yet.

Listerine & Poledo
Update

The FRee version of DriveClub is basically a pay-to-win game. Like Real Racing 3 on phones (best example I can think of).

Sure, it'll work, but if you want another motor, best get paying. Carry on like that and you'll buy the game several times over by drip-feeding your money into PSN

dk

911 GTS Cab
Update

The FRee version of DriveClub is basically a pay-to-win game. Like Real Racing 3 on phones (best example I can think of).

Sure, it'll work, but if you want another motor, best get paying. Carry on like that and you'll buy the game several times over by drip-feeding your money into PSN
Not entirely true, unless you have a source? It doesn't include absolutely everything the disc included but a lot of it, I've read it just won't include all cars.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Both pre-ordered and looking forward to what they offer. Cracking pre-order deals, too - courtesy of my good lady. :D

Don't fret. The new generation of consoles won't hold PC titles back half as much as people think (or, arguably, as they have done before). People get hung up on how poor the console's GPU is when compared to a top-end PC. Sure, the PC will always be king but it's not just about the GPU. The fact that the new consoles have a significantly larger pool of memory to play with makes a HUGE difference as far as consoles are concerned. I'd rather have the XB1/PS4 with the planned spec as opposed to a console with 50% more GPU grunt and 50% less memory. S**tty amounts of available memory in previous consoles are generally more crippling than the perceived lack of GPU (or CPU) ability.

Consoles will FINALLY get a decent draw distance now...... hopefully! :)

​D.

Mito Sportiva 135
Draw distance and pop-up are my main bugbears - the graphics even in the current gen are decent enough. It's amazing how draw distance (or lack of) can ruin immersion in games, especially RPGs, racers and FPSs.

In Dragon's Dogma characters often don't appear until you're right next to them - really bad.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
I'd say it depends if developers sort themselves out. I think that the more these games become bigger and more complex the more bugs titles by the likes of Rockstar and Bethesda will have, who has actually managed to play a Fallout or Elderscroll game without it freezing? Imagine that now with a much much larger game that's harder to test.

Still BF4 all the way, 64 players on console will be madness!

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
christ, check out how big the ps4 controller is!
uP4KpSg.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Or look how small the XBone controller is...

Some people on here complain that the PS controller is too small (its fine for me personally). Wonder if XBone has gone a lot smaller or if in fact the PS4 controller is built for giants now?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well it doesn't look that big in comparison to the old one.

The pre owned games thing was last week in their U-Turn unless something else has been mentioned recently?

S2H

RS Clio 200
The xbox one controller looks sweet. Just a 360 controller with minor improvements :)

Look how ergonimical it is shaped compared to ps controller which looks cheap and nasty. Don't even get me started on the position of the thumbsticks!

EDIT: XB1 has over taken PS4 in the thread poll lol

Titanium 182
Both very even, which is to be expected.

Judging by the Xbone 180 thread I expected it to run away with this poll.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at the position of the thumb sticks not being right! Are your thumbs offset? I know mine aren't so work perfectly well with the PS3 controller.

S2H

RS Clio 200
it's universally recognised in the gaming community that the xbox thumbsticks are positioned better. it's not like it's something i've just made up lol

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
If your talking ergonomics the ps controller actually looks more hand friendly. But don't let that get in th way of your fanboy thoughts

Titanium 182
The 360 pad is pretty much perfect, dodgy d-pad aside. I use mine all the time on PC/Mac. However, the PS4 pad looks miles better than the PS3 one (although I've got used to it now). A larger pad, reduced deadzones, concave triggers and proper grips on the thumbsticks will definitely help.

If your talking ergonomics the ps controller actually looks more hand friendly. But don't let that get in th way of your fanboy thoughts
Hand friendly in that the right thumb will be mainly using high buttons while the left uses a low thumbstick?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Hand friendly in that the right thumb will be mainly using high buttons while the left uses a low thumbstick?

No, the shape of the controller looks as if its easier to hold. The Xbox one quite literally looks like a box.

BUT

were only going on looks, I assume S2H hasn't held one yet so isnt really in a position to comment on which one is ergonomically better.

for years I've had no problem using a ps3 controller, and I've quite happily migrated to a 360 controller. I'd quite happily go back too. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft (probably more in sonys case) have spent millions in making the new controllers as comfortable to hold as possible though.

​as for the joysticks, I suppose they'd be accused of copying sexbox if they moved the left stick now