ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So you think racing is too expensive, think again.

182cup & 172 racecar
BUDGET RACING WITH THE EMPHASIS ON BUDGET

The Track Attack Race Club announce the lunch of what they believe to be the cheapest way into circuit racing today, the 206GTi Production Cup.

Utilising the 206Gti Hot Hatch this is latest offering from TARC to make entering motor sports affordable. If you build your own car, donors are available from ebay/autotrader for as little as £500, add in roll cage and other safety equipment you need to go racing and you could have a self built car out on circuit for as little as £2000. New professionally built cars available for £3950. Sponsored by HRX gives you half price entry fees too.
10828160_817107348336976_5968774351824284998_o.jpg

TOYOTA CELICA RACING

The Track Attack Race Club announces the launch of its latest low cost entry to circuit racing with the introduction of the CELICA TROPHY.

Having launched a number of race series and championships since inception back in 2004, when it launched a race series for dedicated to the Toyota Mr2 Sports car and still going strong today, it has always looked at ways to encourage people into racing
and knows how cost is often the reason many don't participate.

This new series is deliberately aimed at those on a tight budget and uses a car that is readily available, easily converted to a race car, where spares are inexpensive and has put together a subsidised package for everything you will need from roll cage to clothing and even in some cases sponsorship for an all inclusive option.

With its touring car style rear wing adding to the race car feel, it’s a great way to start a race career, 14 races at 7 circuits. Join in when you like , do as many or as few races as you wish even share the car and the costs with a mate. Why not give it a go ? You know you want to.

OFFICIAL LAUNCH DAY ROCKINGHAM MARCH 7 , POP DOWN SEE THE CARS TALK TO THE RACE TEAM AND MAYBE HAVE A RIDE BEFORE COMMITTING.
10998883_817105431670501_4870622718480383468_o.jpg

10974234_817105361670508_2648048704728447273_o.jpg

Our racing club are offering several ways of getting into racing, and it might not be as expensive as you would think.

Plus you don't even need a car.
The Carbon8 Coupe Cup is a budget conscious race series for Gen one and two, two litre Hyundai Coupe and offers accessible motorsport whatever your experience level, all on a level playing field. The cars run a strict set of construction rules using control parts from some of the top names in motorsport to ensure that both costs are kept in check and there is parity amongst the cars. Although the use of control, mandatory parts sounds expensive, the Hyundai Coupe Cup has been conceived to get as many budding racers on the track as possible in a package that has been thoroughly developed and sorted for handling and reliability proving that budget racing doesn't mean compromising on quality.
Cost controlled, competitive racing is the key to the Hyundai Coupe Cup which is why the cars run reasonably close to road specification with MSA safety equipment and limited tuning to both the chassis and engine. You could, if you wanted still MOT, tax, insure and use your Coupe as a ‘daily driver’ if you wanted.
Currently you are able to buy an ‘off the shelf’ newly-built race car for as little as £4295 from one of our Cup approved builders or, if you fancy building one yourself, the basic control parts come to under £1800. These consist of the series marked Safety Devices roll cage, AVO coil-over suspension Pipercross filtration and EBC Brakes. When you take into account that decent Coupe’s can be picked up off eBay for less than £500, it makes the Coupe Cup possibly the cheapest way to get into motorsport in the UK.
We have several major household name motorsport component manufacturers on board to supply the control parts, quality names such as Safety Devices, Pipercross, EBC Brakes and AVO Suspension. The basic specification of the cars run a six-point bolt in series cage and suspension wise, coil overs with adjustable platforms and adjustable damping have been specially manufactured for the series by AVO. This offers more tuning options and the ability for the driver to set up the chassis more to their liking without spending further.
We will be at the Track Attack launch day on the 7th March at Rockingham, and for more information on joining the series and what it can offer visitwww.coupecup.com

31479_699290023419477_1694484376_n.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
180 I think.
When you look at these prices compared to doing anything with a Clio, it's cheap.
I'd even thought about selling mine; and doing each race meeting in a different car.

That would be fun.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's the older 137 gti they're talking about.

No regs on their site yet, but it looks like you take a standard, high mileage 206 and fit £1500 quids worth of stuff which one assumes just about buys a cage, bucket seat, harness, extinguisher etc.
Youre then left with a high mileage car on standard bushes, dampers, shocks......... At least the clio series designates coilovers, decent tyres etc.

It also misses the point that the cost of racing isnt buying and owning the car, its fuel, tyres, entry, consumables, damage.........

Just another (of already too many) one make series IMHO, off the top of my head I can think of:
XR2/ST fiestas
Minis
Clio 182
BMW compacts
MR2s
Now 206s and celicas
And Im sure there are many many more.......

182cup & 172 racecar
And your point being?
Oh and the Clio production class doesn't allow coilovers, only class A.
We aren't making people join us racing, but just giving another option.

So yes, the more the merrier.

Well not really, sailing went the same way and you wind up with many classes all effectively offering the same thing, and as a result, smaller grids.

Clio 182 Cup
I've been thinking about going circuit racing for about 25 years, the cost of a car isn't the problem, it's the initial costs/hassle of ARDS test, medical, license, overalls, helmet etc at least £1000 before your first race then the entry fees and travel costs plus the possibility of being involved in someone elses accident and writing your race car off!
I do agree that there are too many classes, potentially poorly supported, if I was going into a budget one make series I would go for MX5s, big grids, lots of options for racing.
I have done some rallying, similar problems to the above but at least if you have an accident it's going to be self-inflicted which I find easier to accept and I prefer throwing a car around on a variety of surfaces to going round in circles!

750 mc also do the mr2 championship which is very cheap, the only trouble is is the entry fees and running costs 150-200 a meeting (more if a double header), then race fuel and fuel to get to the track and back so around 100, if the tracks a fair way away you've got digs the night before (possibly 2 nights) so there's another 150 for hotel (2 nights) another 60 odd on meals and food over the wkend, so your still looking at 500 - 600 a meeting, you usually get 2 a month in the summer so your looking at 1200 a month just on racing and that's without new tyres mechanical break down or replacement tyres, I'm not saying these aren't cheap forms of motorsport but still out of my reach

I used to spanner for a guy in the rover 216 gti championship in 97 and he used to budget a grand a meeting, that included a test day before hand race entry, race fuel and 2 new slicks, God knows what that would be now, I now spanner for my boss who races classic stuff (mk1 jag and an E type) and the entries are rediculous

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
As everything, what's cheap to one, isn't to another.
Golf? Set of bats £800-£1500
Membership as above. Not putting it in the same league, but everything costs.
We have one lad , Adam Gittings, member on here, drives to a meeting, does his 2 races, and then drives home.

We usually have one a month, this helps with costs, plus you don't have to do all the races as it's not a championship.

Most people sleep in cars or vans, hotels are for rollers.
And these cars above are for hire, so you just turn up and cars already there for you.
Derek 12
I too came from a rallying background, and used to frown apon circuit racing, but believe me, it's great fun, and more to it than meets the eye.

Anyway, nobody forcing anybody to do anything, just making people aware of what our club offers, and I'll think it is fairly 'cheap' way to go racing.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
A friend of mine races in the 750 series in the BMW Compact cup which I have been to spectate a few times last year. They run a vareity of classes on the same dat,e so from a spectator point of view their is always a good vareity of cars etc. I would highly recommend spectating at one of these or similar race meetings, its a cheap and entertaining day out

182T
What area do you live Joe? If you want some form of competition but very limited budget then check out your local 'Motor Club'. Not car clubs with 'Cruzin' mannn or whatever its called. Local 'Motor Clubs' arrange small scale local competitive events - Autosolos (large carpark/airfield 'races'), Autotests (similar), 12 car rallies (2 hours, country lanes, check points, frantic), Sprints, Hillclimbs, and also (more expensive) Stage Rallies.

My local club charge £2.50 for a 12 car rally, £15 or so for an Autotest etc..

Edit: Sorry for the hijack - just realised.

First thing you need to do Joe is buy a Goracing pack, all the details are in there to book your ARDS test and to obtain your medical and race license.

Then you need your ppe, such as race suit, boots, gloves and helmet.

From this point on you can build, hire or share a race car.

The race car build can be anywhere from a production spec car to a full blown racer, budget depending.

The Tricolour Trophy have a production class (ideal for the clio) and it can also run in Class A

750mc have the 182 cup series thats controlled by Ktec, i.e you build the car to a spec given in the regs using ktec main parts. This is so all cars are on a even playing field

MSV run the track day trophy aimed at novices but are 45min races (the above are 15mim sprint races).

Tintops also a 45min race have a Class B that just caters for Clios.

All have slight different regulations.

Clio 172 Cup
I see your guy's race series are on at Cadwell the same time as me in the BRSCC MX5 championship. Will be good to have a look around and say hello!

Will have to have a good look into it. Maybe just try to do some more trackdays and go from there. Least with trackdays you can just get on with it and don't need to worry about memberships/equipment etc.

I was just thinking that one rich asshole could happily put me into a wall and end my first race and therefore career because I couldnt afford another car. When looking at it like that it.....

WRX
I was just thinking that one rich asshole could happily put me into a wall and end my first race and therefore career because I couldnt afford another car. When looking at it like that it.....
Same could happen to lots of people on trackdays. How about making your track car MSA compliant? Then you could do an occasional race in between trackdays. OK, you would have the outlay of fees etc. but you would also get the adrenalin rush of that starting grid.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Same could happen to lots of people on trackdays. How about making your track car MSA compliant? Then you could do an occasional race in between trackdays. OK, you would have the outlay of fees etc. but you would also get the adrenalin rush of that starting grid.

I'm toying with the idea of curcuit racing my 172 when I finished using it for Hillclimbing.
I could just never bring myself to curcuit race the Cossie.

Rich