ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Socket set for 1/2" Impact Gun

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
So i've finally got round to buying an impact gun after years of swearing at wheel nuts.

Now my regular socket set is 1/4" so won't work without an adaptor, but being hand tools it's probably not advisable to use it with a gun, but all the deep socket sets i've seen don't seem to have as many bits, so what socket set do people use with a 1/2" drive gun?

Can I use a 1/2" to 1/4" adaptor for my regular socket set, or should I buy a proper 1/2" set for the gun, if so what are people using?

Basically i'm lazy and want to use my new toy for everything.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Just buy any generic 1/2 drive impact set (black) off eBay. They are softer than CV so won’t crack with impact. 1/4 is pretty much good for trim screws, you’d be shearing 1/2 to 1/4 adaptors for fun with an impact gun.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I forgot I had these knocking about, the 3 deep sockets came with the gun 17, 19, & 21mm.

The two rails between them have 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19 & 21mm.

That should be enough for most jobs on a car right, or am I best getting a set of deep sockets too?

Last edited:

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Very few bolts on a car that can be accessed with an impact gun & deep socket combined IME.

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Use any combination of adapters and extensions you like. I would advise against using universal joint adapters! from experience you dont want one of those hitting you in the face with 400nm of torque behind it.

Impact sockets are black and are a softer material than chrome sockets. The idea is the socket takes the shock and deforms over time. A chrome socket will transfer the shock through the drill to the gear set. That being said dont let it stop you using them i do and will continue to do so.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Use any combination of adapters and extensions you like. I would advise against using universal joint adapters! from experience you dont want one of those hitting you in the face with 400nm of torque behind it.

Impact sockets are black and are a softer material than chrome sockets. The idea is the socket takes the shock and deforms over time. A chrome socket will transfer the shock through the drill to the gear set. That being said dont let it stop you using them i do and will continue to do so.
Great info, cheers for that.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I’ve found you’re better off with deep sockets. 9/10 times my impact gun won’t fit in to the spaces I need it to so having a couple of extra inches is always good.

... I said inches. Giggity.