ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solution to having no tap outside?

Is there any way I can run a hose from say, my kitchen tap? Unfortunately I don't have a tap/hose outside and it makes cleaning my car an absolute nightmare. Having to constantly fetch buckets of water, most of which ends up on my feet!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Indeed there is, Rob (TheEvilGiraffe) off here has a solution, its not the best, but it works.

Just allows you to run a hose off a normal tap, PM him and he'll probably tell you where he got it from

EDIT: Here you go

Ah didn't know you could get a hose connector for a normal tap. I'll have to get one and try it out!

It's not an option to fit an outside tap unfortunately - listed building

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
fit an outside tap, get a kit from b&q for about £20....

Priced at £7.59..see linky below!

Ah didn't know you could get a hose connector for a normal tap. I'll have to get one and try it out!

It's not an option to fit an outside tap unfortunately - listed building

All it takes is simple screw tap on the pipe...which then has its own feed to the outside tap which you drill through the wall...attach said 'outside tap', then PTFE the b*****d...takes about 20 mins if you've done it before...an hour if you are unsure.

really is a piece of piss and you shouldn't need planning permission as its just a hole in the outside wall for pipe to go through (from beneath the kitchen sink), then the rest is this connection to the pipe.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=outside+tap+&x=0&y=0

Donny, depending the grade of listing, it is quite possible this type of alteration would not be allowed.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Donny, depending the grade of listing, it is quite possible this type of alteration would not be allowed.

Bloody Hell Stu, for a 14mm hole! I appreciate that you're in that game (or have been), so know more about it than me. :)

Yep. Have a look at this, gives a basic overview of listed buildings renovations and improvements regualtions http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/property/moneyandlegal_renovatingrulesandregs.shtml

Above BBC link said:
If a building is on the list, any building work will require 'listed building consent', according to the Planning Act 1990. This is obtained through the local planning authority. Even minor works, such as painting or simple repair work in some circumstances, falls under the scope of this act.

The penalty for ignoring this act is up to a 12-month prison sentence or a fine to an unlimited amount, or both. Then you can be expected to carry out, at your own expense, further works to the listed building to remedy the impact of the unauthorised works.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Yeah it's unfortunate that I have to live here (Mum's house) for a while until I've got some more cash. No option to install a bloody tap due to the building being listed so I'll have to try the connector thing on the kitchen sink tap and run it through the (tiny) back garden so I can wash my car properly.

However that no rinse stuff does look pretty good, it may even be easier than using a hose because you only have to dry one panel at a time instead of the whole car. If the car is caked in mud or something I imagine it's not the best option though

I wasn't even allowed to run a network cable up the side of the house because of this listed building nonsense, so stupid.

DCi 100
I used to use the hot tap in the summer, was reasonably a pain running in and out all the time.

I think Chrispy and his friends use a 30 metre long hose attached to a normal tap in his uni flats, so not impossible!

Hyundai i40
Watering can i use

but im sure you can get a thing that you fill with water with a hose that comes out of it.

LY 182
I just use a couple watering cans that are only ever used for the car. Always give them a good rinse out before hand though. I go down to the garage first and use their pressure washer which costs a couple quid max. Just use that to spray off some of the excess dirt. Back home, watering cans, wash two bucket method and job done.