ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solvent to dissolve oil during inspection?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Not quite sure if this is the right section or written the question right! But, basically...

Have a bad oil leak. Mechanic said it's shat itself so bad that it's just everywhere and cannot pinpoint where it's coming from. Said I need an under body clean up and bring it back over for them to investigate further. I'm going to pop to this place tomorrow, but only problem being apparently they're not 'coilover friendly' lol and have issues getting lowered cars on their ramps.

Mentioned to a mate at work today who had a similar issue and said his mechanic had some spray which he sprayed all over to simply dissolve the oil away. Went through Google Images but couldn't remember what it looked like! Anyone had similar done or can recommend a product?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yeah brake cleaner would be the one.

I get 5L of it from euro car parts fairly cheap and use a solvent compatible pump sprayer.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As above brake cleaner, 5l will be well more than enough for even the worst oil leak and costs about a tenner from the factors, get a pump action pressure sprayer and just spray the s**t out it.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
As above brake cleaner and if you’ve got access to an airline even better!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Thanks guys, going to give this a go next week. Let's hope it's not the turbo, though I suspect it is.

Meanwhile, I did indeed rip my splitter into two visiting the car cleaning place. Then they told me they probably couldn't do it. So all in all, a very successful trip 🙃