ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some 182 Trophy advice, please.....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In a nutshell, a worthy upgrade from a FF 182?

I've had my 182 for nearly 2 years now and I'm thinking of speaking to place I got it from and tranferring the finance to a 2nd hand Trophy. I really, really like the look of them - especially seeing one up close (cheers Ad!) on the NW Run the other weekend.

I don't like the 197 and as much as I'd love an F1 Meggy, I think the daily running costs maybe a little too high for me.

Toys, switches and options do little for me, so I'm not that bothered about losing them. The lack of xenons (?) would be annoying, but nothing that the rest of the car couldn't make up for.

Has anyone got experience of both a FF 182 and Trophy? And given the choice, are there sufficient differences in the cars to warrant the change?

I'd really like some feedback please chaps (be it good or bad).

Cheers,
D.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I went from an 04/04 172 FF to a trophy.
For me there is no comparison, as soon as i drove it i knew i had to buy it.
Which for me is strange as i usually look at a couple & buy the best one, if you know what i mean.

So it aint got auto wipers, climate & xenons etc. But when the recaros give you a hug & you show it a series of bends you soon realise why all the mags rave about these cars.

Who gives a toss about cloth back seats, i don't as im never going to sit in them & you don't see them whilst driving.

172's & 182's are rare at the best of times but how many Trophy's do you see..

The way these cars ride the bumps & awful road surfaces on the b roads out in the sticks where i live has to be experienced to believed.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Theres 3 troph's near me haha.
Seriously though i'd give up xenons for a trophy anyday

ian

M2 Competition
Would it not make more sense to get a set of h&r's/ leda's fitted to your 182, and even the trophy recaro's.

That way you get all the toys, and awesome suspension.

Lee

BMW M2C
I went 172 to 182 with cup packs to Trophy. The Trophy has something special about it for me. Though I reckon the 182 with Cup packs was a better all rounder. Especially on the piss poor roads I drive each day.

I'm still glad I swapped, and this is the longest I've kept a car in a long while. It's just hit 21k. It would be on more had it not been off the road for a while.

I'm a big fan of the Trophy as I was going to get one before my car. I opted to get a FF 182 Cuped with Recaro options and stick by that choice.

I want to get Turinis and a v6 spoiler for it because 182s do look best with these as the Trophy demonstrates - I'd personally mod ur 182 as it'll be the cheaper option and if your like me the black will look stunning with the mods! Plus... you keep the toys! :)

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
A Trophy will retain it's value better than a FF 182. So £ for £ wise the switch to a Trophy is worth it, plus just take one out for a drive.

You'll answer your own question then. Trophy all the way for me :)

BMW 535D
on the face of it id stick with the 182, however i havent driven a trophy and im willing to bet that i'd change my mind if i drove one :p

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Decisions, decisions! Oh, eck! :S

The Recaros are p**n and the rarity of it just really appeals to me. Finding a good one maybe hard? Is there any hike in insurance with it having that gold-laminated, diamond encrusted, titanium suspension setup? Any excuse for the insurer's to bump up the premium, eh? ;)

Thanks for all your comments, guys...

D.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Darren, I was very sceptical about the trophy at first and didnt really want to like it. I personally feel it is a worthy upgrade. I love driving the trophy and it does have some significant improvements over the FF. Getting a mint one shouldnt be too much of problem, although a bit of patience would be required.

I have driven signifcant distances in both....agree with lee that the ride quality is poorer though on trophy and maybe annoying. A plus is that the retention on them seems very good still. Insurance isnt massively difference.

I'd not bother mate.. the reasons i would do it is..

the suspension, fair enough its better, but you wont get the full use out of it on the UK roads anyways, unless you are a complete nutter..

the colour, i dont like it

just seems like a big change for not alot?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
I'd not bother mate.. the reasons i would do it is..

the suspension, fair enough its better, but you wont get the full use out of it on the UK roads anyways, unless you are a complete nutter..

the colour, i dont like it

just seems like a big change for not alot?

lol you clearly haven't driven one.

106 GTi
To be honest I prefered my drive in a Full Fat 182 with H&R's more than I enjoyed the tets drive I had Trophy. Who knows if this would be the same long term living with each.

The Trophy is great if you like Red, want a limited edition car and won't want to modify it.

For me I dont like flat Red cars and prefered the coilovered setup meant the trophy was a no no for me.

Chocolate Bar™
I had a black mk 2 with turinis and a V6 spoiler, i'm picking up my new car on sunday which is a mk1 172

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Not worth it imho. Recaros are great and the suspension is fantastic, wheels are also an improvement.

Colour is not to my taste and undecided on spoiler.

I have a FF with cup packs and Recaros and that for me was the best (non Vee) Clio money could buy.

I love all the toys, climate, zenons etc

Yet to lose to one on track aswell (least 4 times) and mine was 100% standard.

Only improvement i would make to mine would be Blistien coilovers.

Resell value certainly favours the Trophy tho.

Megane 225
Definitely drive one Darren, it's the ONLY way you'll know. Sounds like it's right up your street though.