ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some 197 questions from a 172 owner

sw1

Clio 172
Hi Al,,

I have been scanning these forums for a while and they are a great read, here's a brief bit on my background.

I'm 29 and purchased a 172 a few years back when I had some financial difficulty and was forced to sell my beloved 325ci sport convertible.

I feel in love with the fun driving of the 172, in fact when I moved house recently I sold my MK V Golf GTi to raise some extra funds and got a clio 172, once again awesome car.

Anyway on to the questions, test drove a 197 in the summer and loved it, I know it's not fast then the 172 but I enjoy the fact it's more an everyday car similar to my Golf GTi where you can boot it when you decide too.

1) What is the build quality really like, when I test drove it it seemed as good as my Golf. However as I have owned several new cars I notice that doesn't last long.

2) Can the 6 disc changer take MP3's? If not does anyone know if I can integrate an Ipod with it some how? Also is the 40 w stero considerably better soundwise?

3) I do around an 80 mile round trip every day, mostly motorways. WHat sort of MPG are you getting from the car, when I'm on all the dull as dish water M4 every morning I've been achieving 38mpg in the 172.

4) How much do you think I would get for an 03 plate black 172, just had new discs and pads. 42,000 on the clock? Some issues such as the dreaded sterring wheel grip and some scrapes on the wheels.

I was thinking of getting a new TT or something but when you seriously look at the cost of a decent TT, around 28k and compare it with an almost fully specced 197 (15.5k on Broadspeed) it doesn't strike me as been 13k better.
icon_smile_big.gif

I also contemplated a Civic but then I realised how much fun I have in my clio around the back country roads, for me that's what makes it such a great car. All my mates drive 6 series Bmers etc but then they have large debts to go with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Have you considered a megane 225 Trophy? Look sexy as hell and go like stink. Say goodbye to type R's!

clio 172 cup
Have you considered a megane 225 Trophy? Look sexy as hell and go like stink. Say goodbye to type R's!
or what about the limited edition megane renaultsport 230 f1 team r26.Very exclusive car to celebrate renaults win in f1 this year(and blows away CTRs,lol)

If yor doing 80 miles ado which would I guess be on motorways the 197 isn't ideal gearing is to short.

15k is a lot for a car that isn't a stand out.

It's also a nice sum of money for a 'nearly new' performance car.

How about doing a "What should I buy for around 15k" thread.

I bet you get some real food for thought.

Good luck.

Golf 7R
When will ppl realise that the 197 just does not come up to scratch, the megane is so the better option here 230 with lsd, the 197 could and should have been so much better!

133/225/CLS AMG
Any Megane 225 or the 230 is gonna be a winner. For motorway cruising its ideal, drop it into 6th and you'll be hitting 3000rpm at 75.

Also the amount of torque its got makes it ideal for a rolling blast. 0-60 isn't that different from the RS Clios but test drive a Megane and you'll see feel the difference.

I am a bit biased though. :D :D

Turbos.
The Clio is a new generation Renault, it is leagues ahead of the Megane IMO. A valid point about the gearing. I would kill for a 6th gear in my 172 but the 197 is just as bad despite being a 6 speed.

Megane Mk4
1) What is the build quality really like, when I test drove it it seemed as good as my Golf. However as I have owned several new cars I notice that doesn't last long.

It's STILL a renault at the end of the day, does anyone have to really answer this? ;)

2) Can the 6 disc changer take MP3's? If not does anyone know if I can integrate an Ipod with it some how? Also is the 40 w stero considerably better soundwise?

Yes it does, but in all honesty you might be better buying an aftermarket cd/mp3 head unit for your current model as it's not any better in the new clio.

3) I do around an 80 mile round trip every day, mostly motorways. WHat sort of MPG are you getting from the car, when I'm on all the dull as dish water M4 every morning I've been achieving 38mpg in the 172.

It's got a shorter gear ratio, wasn't designed for motorways but the mpg will probably be the same, designed for the track imo, joys of performance cars.

4) How much do you think I would get for an 03 plate black 172, just had new discs and pads. 42,000 on the clock? Some issues such as the dreaded sterring wheel grip and some scrapes on the wheels.

About £5K judging by every other thread asking the same question.

Personally I'd stick with your existing car, they look better, lighter, faster etc.
If you haven''t already, go take a test drive in one and judge for yourself but I guarantee you, it won't feel like your 172, I test drove one and I was glad to be back in my 182. However at the end of the day it's upto you.

clio 172 cup
you considered focus st or astra vxr?been in vxr torque steers yes but not as bad as i was led to believe,and on the straights in 3rd jesus! don,t think a meg sport would stand a chance.

EVO magazine stated:

"The biggest let-down is the engine, below 5000rpm forget it"

"You continually have to change down when you don't really want to, and sometimes even then it's not enough"

"Second gear out of a hairpin really should be adequate but it never was"

"It isn't a relaxing motorway car either, the motor hitting a frenetic 4500rpm at barely 85mph"

"The tragedy for Renault is that this car appears to have lost so much in the transition from the previous model"

In summary and taking into account many professional opinions and those of the forum members who have driven the 197, this car simply doesn't move the game on enough for Renault.

It is frenetic when you don't want it to be (on the motorway) and too slow everywhere else.

A bigger, better cabin isn't enough to make up for the shortfalls elsewhere.

I wanted to love this car (and buy one) but I just don't (and won't).

RenaultSport clio 172 mkI
I wouldnt buy a Megane 225 either. There are other Hot Hatches out there that are way ahead. I could never buy the Megane knowing that the Ford dealership round the corner have an ST. (Or Vauxhall have a VXR).

R26
took a mate out in my 197 he ownes a focus st
he was gobsmacked on how much better the 197
handles

mpg is veary much the same as my old ff172

had the 197 5 weeks now not a single rattle
or squeek to be heard

and it is quicker than the 172 i had
now its run in a it

Tangoed Works
The 197s that Ive seen on the road have so much road presence. I love the way they stand out and look so purposeful. Not driven one yet, but if they can boost performance with a revised model, would defo be worthwhile.

If handling and stopping are vastly improved over 1*2 standards then its not that difficult to realise a bit of extra poke from the engine or shed a bit of weight to make it into the car it should be.

I remember when the Ph1 172 came out and it was the most powerful hot hatch out at the time, but mags werent giving it rave reviews like they were the 182 cup / trophy. Just goes to show that renault came out with a good product to begin with and perfected it towards the end.

sw1

Clio 172
Ordered my 197, I really like it and that's the main thing.

I'm not into constantly ragging it to 60 but I love throwing my 172 around on country lanes that I drive in.

I think I got a fairly good price on it too, hopefully it should turn up mid january.

Thanks for all your replies

Ordered my 197, I really like it and that's the main thing.

I'm not into constantly ragging it to 60 but I love throwing my 172 around on country lanes that I drive in.

I think I got a fairly good price on it too, hopefully it should turn up mid january.

Thanks for all your replies

So, virtually everyone that takes the time to reply to your question agrees that the 197 is frenetic, slow, underpowered and just not a good enough replacement, yet within two days of posting this thread you tell us that you've ordered a 197.

Why post the thread at all?

sw1

Clio 172
Owning a 172, this is my 2nd one now, I personally think the 197 looks far better then the 172 and more modern obvioulsy given the172 is an old design now.

I also think it feels more solid and better built and at a very reasonable.

Isn't that the whole point of forums to post quesitons and use the knowledge of the members?

If you also read the questions they wern't a what's better I was asking for genuine answers.

I accept I lot of you love your 172's and I like mine too but I think the 197 is better handling, may not be as fast to 60 but I don't think that's what it's about. It also has a better seating position then the standard 172.

Remember different people have different views on what they want in a car, I think it's ace for the money it's cost and I have brought a few new cars in my time including a brand new 33k bmw 325ci sport convertible and recently a MK V Golf GTi.

I do a lot of miles a day for work so I want a cheap and cheerful commuting car that I can throw round country lanes if I want too.

Given that pretty much every major stream media review rates the car bar apart from the high revving engine, I like the new grown up 197 but then again I am 29 ;o))

There are always going to be people that don't like new models for shape reasons, every one raves about the megane but I don't like the look of them but respect that other people love them.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
After I took the 197 for a test drive at the dealers, I felt kind of dissapointed. But now I've had one round cadwell and brands (twice), I have to say it has grown on me a lot. It's better than my 182 in almost every way, if only it had a little more poke. The handling is just awesome, the brakes are superb. It is really frustrating that it doesn't have a bit more pace!

Megane Mk4
tbh I'm still not convinced into paying more for a car that lugs more weight around with less options than my current clio is a good move.
I've been in the 197, test drove it and wasn't impressed at all with it. It's lost it's appeal to me as a clio owner. I'm 31 years old and it's proven to be a let down with both myself and the wife agreeing on it. It's not what the clio used to be, it's gotten old to much before it's time imho

If and when it comes to sell on the 182 we have now, it won't be for a 197.