ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some thoughts on my new Cup!

Well, picked up my new Cup on Saturday, so I thought Id share my initial impressions with you all! :)

After a nice drive down to the dealership, found her sitting outside all ready for me - first impressions were favourable - the colour especially looked gorgeous. Something was just right about the car. Anyway, after a quick inspection and the handover, it was back on the motorway for the journey home.

I was told by the salesman that the engines are bench tested before fitting so other than taking it easy to bed the brakes in and get used to the car, there was no real need to run it in. However, being slightly suspicious of all salespeoples banter, I did take it fairly easy on the car at first. Im impressed by the pace of the car already - a real wee pocket rocket :) Just beginning to rev it to 6k now that Ive done over 550 miles - an oil change around 1000 miles and then Ill be free to give it death on a regular basis :D Found the brakes pretty sharp, but good - still slightly wary of them due to slidey roads and lack of ABS. Like the handling as well - sits nice and solid on the road without feeling too harsh.

However, I have experienced a couple of the build quality issues that seem to be reported - first of all the trip computer gave up the ghost after about 3 hours. Next up was a rattle which appears to be a loose passenger seat sub frame, and I think the drivers door might have dropped on its hinges slightly.

And then, this morning on day number 3 of ownership, the heater direction control kind of stuck and then seemed to give - with the result that I cant select where the air is to go :( So straight into the nearest dealer with the list. Result - they managed to fix the trip computer (faulty stalk/button) but apparently the hook on the end of the heater cable has broken, so theyll need to order that in.

To be honest, the (admittedly minor) problems have taken the shine off of the new car a bit, but I can just about forgive them so far. Hope these small teething problems will be the last of my build quality grumbles *fingers firmly crossed*

Not overly impressed with the aftersales side of the dealers so far - didnt seem particularly bothered about my problems on a 3 day old car, plus the Parts dept looked as if Id began to speak Dutch when I asked if I could order a set of clear side repeaters for the car (despite being told by 2 different salesmen at 2 different garages that the 2003 model 172s now come with them). Ho hum! Anyone else managed to track down these elusive items that Renault are clearly not doing? ;)

Hoping to attend a ClioSport meeting soon to chat with a few owners - Ive spoken to a couple already (hullo Marc and Paul!) and get some bits and bobs ordered for the car. Induction kit and exhaust will be quite high on the list as Id like to hear a bit more of that lovely engine note :)

Anyway, happy motoring fellow Clio peeps!

They are lovely cars and I know youll enjoy it as I have!

Agree with you about the after sales Service. Renault in Abingdon were - and still are - complete crap! Some poor bloke from Renault UK phoned me to see how things were and he found himself ripped a new arsehole!

If I didnt want this car so much Id never deal with Renault again, but its too good a car so as soon as Im driving I forget all the hassle!

Enjoy!

Sang

H22A7 Accord Type R

I have to agree with you, the aftersales can be a bit of a pain in the back end!!! There was this woman at my Leeds Dealership, really not very helpful! I went a bit mad wi her, practically told her i bought a new car and pay her wages lol!!! Biach! But, hopefully there will be no major problems........... happy ownership to you mate! Notice how the 1.2 boys are the first to greet you!! lol...........hmmm envy

What renault have you dealt with, ive dealt with canterbury and their before and after sales standard was excellent! their was a chip in the paintwork dont know if it was there already but they took it in no quivels and redid the whole door.
Im gettin the usual rattles but just turn the music up, theres mire to enjoy than to worry about that, but i know what you mean by new car.
Anyway ive now done 2500miles, but no oil change yet, and have been thrashin a bit, im gonna do one soon but its alright that i havent had one yet isnt it? or is it?

P.s my wheels never get that clean anymore! grrrr

lol yeah, i am envious, the cups look so damn good!

I agree, aftersales is crap, i think the one mine got sent to was blackfen or blackheath, in south east london. Annoyingly i must of had about 5 questionnaires sent to be my post. I made sure they knew how i felt!!

My door was hung badly, you could see it easily but it wasnt picked up. VW wouldnt do that but there you go, dont expect to get a fautless renault!

Thought id mention i saw one of them 4 seater espace things today, looked really cool, huge things!

Picked mine up month ago ,not had any problems .fitted a k&n 57i ,sonds great ,and a set of 17"speedline turinis (same as standard wheels)with 205/40/17 contisportcontact 2s tranformed the car ,worth doing.The car is getting better and better done 3000miles now and still ment to get better.

I can supply K&ns , alloys and tyres

The 16"s are now for sale at £595

gord r

Quote: Originally posted by Sangy on 17 December 2002

oh and I want pictures of the car next week as no way will it still be that clean!
Yup - its filthy already despite a jet wash and a bucket and sponge number :(

gord r, im lookin to get the 17s too! but in white!

wanna know what it looks like first! any chance of a pic to satify my desperate needs!!!???

S2000

Gord,

Where about are you? Also, do you have any idea if the Speedlines will fit the standard 172s, re: offsets etc??

What renault have you dealt with, ive dealt with canterbury and their before and after sales standard was excellent! their was a chip in the paintwork dont know if it was there already but they took it in no quivels and redid the whole door.
Im gettin the usual rattles but just turn the music up, theres mire to enjoy than to worry about that, but i know what you mean by new car.
Anyway ive now done 2500miles, but no oil change yet, and have been thrashin a bit, im gonna do one soon but its alright that i havent had one yet isnt it? or is it?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by DannyBoy on 18 December 2002

Im gettin the usual rattles but just turn the music up

Just set your stereo to speed 5 so that it turns the volume up for you as you go faster. Works a treat for me :D

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by The_Gza on 17 December 2002

And then, this morning on day number 3 of ownership, the heater direction control kind of stuck and then seemed to give - with the result that I cant select where the air is to go :( So straight into the nearest dealer with the list. Result - they managed to fix the trip computer (faulty stalk/button) but apparently the hook on the end of the heater cable has broken, so theyll need to order that in.

My heater controls broke a couple of weeks after getting the car. Took 3 visits for them to fix it.

Well where should I start my temp gauge broke, I had myCup kerbed Reno Sheff avoid they with a barge pole!

Anyway wnet to York after Reno Uk coughed up some Vouchers for my wheel, all going well until thy try to put a mk 1 172 alloy on my Cup, I must have said Cup 100 times to the Staff.............And to make matters worse they tried say it was the right wheel even though they had a brand spanker in the showroom! Idiots

Anyway long story Reno are piss poor me thinks with Customer Serive unless you kick up a fuss....But make so so nice cars..

Im at 3500 and havent changed my oil!

Look at previous posts about my wheel saga and that will put you off Sheff Reno for ever!

Or pm if you wish....to talk Cup!

_KDF - explain the set your stereo to speed 5 to me. Is thins something I dont know about?

The_Gza - my passenger seat rattled too. The dealer replaced the runners and its fine now (so far)

My Cup now has 3000 miles on the clock. Bin back to the dealerstwice now, once for a scratch on the drivers door and the PAS pressure switch was leaking slightly but now it looks like the fluid has got on the belt and it squeals on startup. But i still love it every time i drive it.

My dealer in Stoke-On-Trent are quite good now (then this is my 5th new Reno from them so they are used to me know:D). Took my car in last time and got a brand new laguna as a loan car.

I have lowered my car on Apex springs and put on a Ramair filter (they are only £70 and the fit is far better than the K&N on my mates 172 plus it sounds sh*t hot.

May take some pics when its clean.

Paul is that just a replacement filter and not an inductionkit, I want to change my air filter but dont want to jepordise my Warranty!

My cups been in for a blown interior overhead light, a new alarm coz the hazzards where going of driving down the road and alarm comin on even when the car was unlocked! Service light i jmentioned yesteray is now off - must have been a glitch caused by the cold weather! Rattles coming from steering column and over near passenger side. 4000K buzz has gone now probably from rakuing it the metal of the heatshield has melted back into place! Anyone changed to a replacement green element (not induction kit)?

I have had the exact same problem with my cup. First the alarm problem. Then on my way to renault to complain that the thing was going off every minute the hazard lights started to flash. This happened on Saturday and I am still waiting... Has anyone else had this fault yet? Mine had done 5000miles. Does anyone have any solutions, maybe we could let renault know as they clearly seem to be unable to fix it.

In the meantime I have a brand new 1.4clio to potter around in. I guess when I do get the cup back it will seem like a bullet.

Craggy - its just you mate;) Its a bit further South

Sounds like its fairly common to have a couple of niggles. Turns out that the "fix" for my trip computer was to fit the wrong stalk :cry:

So, back in tomorrow to get that fixed as well. 5 days old, 3 garage visits already

abbs_172. The Ramair is a ful induction kit. I had it on when it went in for warranty and they did not bother.

THe thing is that they know i have modified all my cars and the still replace them under warranty.

THis is my last car a Megane coupe http://www.coupe-club.co.uk/Megane_18-1.JPGhttp://www.coupe-club.co.uk/Megane_18-1.JPG. Sold it as the warranty just run out (3yrs) and still replaced engin mounts saying it was lowered 60mm and on 18s

It all depends on the dealer at the end of the day.

James - the cause was an open circuit board and over sensitive ultra sonic sensors in the alarm - all sorted now though only took them a few hours and no road test - last time they done 25 miles on my car for no reason other than to have a good old rake in it - and they done it recently with my other silver one! Not happy with renault service engineers either!

Oh and Ive managed to get two or three stone chips on the bonnet either side of the badge - nasty ones too right down to the primer - paint doesnt seem that good and it ll need a good waxing soon - starting to get dull patches !

cup has been back 2 times since 29 sept new.nearside back brake not touching at the top of disc. front pass seat adjuster v.stiff. rear sport badge pissed big time.dealer has kerbed rear nearside alloy and b****cks tyre!

1600mls no oil change,dealer says first service 12000mls or 2 yrs.

320d M Sport

Err, probably!;) I had been up since 5AM!!! Cleaned it at 6AM, and was in Bury at 8AM!!! Hard work this Clio lark u know! Still, got the results in..........back of the net (As Alan would say)