ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soon to be Clio 172 Cup owner

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi, I have recently saved up enough to buy what will be my second car, and as the title suggests, I fancy a 172 Cup. I have read about a lot of people having pleasant experiences with them, and can't wait to get behind the wheel of one. My plan is to compete in road 12 car rallies and targa rallies with the Clio and generally have fun. I am also interested in track days. My current car (1.0 litre Corsa) has been fun in rallies, but I just think it is time to move on to something that actually accelerates in any gear above 1st, now that I can just about insure it. I am an automotive engineering student from Oxford Brookes University and a member of Oxford Universities Motorsport Foundation (in case anyone on here knows of either). Looking forward to tuning and weight saving in my own car too, as working on cars you don't drive can be a little tiresome, and you don't really feel the benefits of your work. If anyone has any comments about 172 Cup's they think I should hear, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome along.
They are not "all" pleasant experiences but yes, they are great fun.
Make sure you shop around a bit first to get a good car and not a shed.
A lot to be learnt on this here forum, enjoy :)

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Thanks! Yeah, I am quite concerned about having one that hasn't been cared for properly. I guess they have all been thrashed, but at least if they have been cared for properly it shouldn't be too bad. I can do jobs like the cambelt and dephaser pulley myself with no troubles, and engine/gearbox mounts, strut tops, and clutches etc, but my ability ends at rebuilding engines and gearboxes aha! Thanks for your reply, I have been hiding in the shadows of this forum, but as of having got the money to actually buy one decided now was as good a time as any to start my account. Looking through all the buying guides etc, but are there any things they usually don't mention? Cheers.

Welcome to the world of Cup ownership. I've had a 172 and now my Cup. Prefer the rawness of my Cup, feels a bit more involved. As has already been said shop around and get a couple test drives to get an idea of what they should feel and sound like. The engines are naturally whiny which you'll notice almost straight away and watch out for torque steer, crunchy gear changes are quite common in cars that have been launched of the line alot.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Had mine for just over a year: saw some real sheds before buying this one.
This is not the car to take the girlfriend on long continental holidays in, too basic and bumpy.
But for chucking round the lanes, competing in, its nigh on perfect