ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soon to be supercharged.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Hi and welcome to my project thread,

I'm sure I had one before but I couldn't find it, so here the new one :D

I ended up owning this phase 1 Renault Sport Clio 172 by acedent really. I was always a Ford man at heart, (still am deep down.) I took it in part ex as an non runner. I traced the fault to the engine bay wiring loom and I was going to shift it on right up untill the point I took it on roadtest.

What can I say. I so wanted to hate this stupid pile a Renult crap that had been a pain in my arse for the last couple of days. Sadly It took 3miles for me to decide it was staying :drive:

The first thing that drew me into the car was just how lively the engine was. It pulled so hard and just felt like it wanted so much more than all the abuse you could chuck at it. The steering was so tight and sharp, and as for the handling, it was just increadable. How it gets round corners at the speeds it does still baffles me today.

This is what it looked like when I brought it.

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

So the Clio was staying. I decided to use it as a track car as i wanted to get into track days. My theroy was that if I binned it, it didn't really matter as it would be cheap to fix or replace (turth be told now, Id be gutted if something happend to it!) So the track prepping begun.

The first thing to do was to fit the bucket seats from my old Focus RS powered Transit Connect Van, Strip out the interior and fit a better steering wheel.

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

53cb364f.jpg

d5bb32c0.jpg

6ffce802.jpg

ff9b5814.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

7edf1582.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

I then did my first track day at castle combe. I could fault the car. It punched so much higher than it weight, holding off Civic Type R's, Scoobys, Evos, VXR's

150500_10150321752635154_552175153_16358939_5025341_n.jpg

The only real issue I had on the trackday was getting the heat out of the brakes. They overheaded a coule of times, so i removed my foglights and made some home made brake coolers

0d7e0f3c.jpg

As the standard wheels were fitted with Toyo R888's for track use, I treated it to a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's

1fb7e341.jpg

Just before the next track day, I fitted some Vibra Technics engine mounts (full kit) and binned the aircon. Both very affective mods in my opinion.

134488_10150355595540154_552175153_17033797_4619620_o.jpg

Here she is on track at silverstone. Thats my mum in the passanger seats and the brake discs are just starting to glow :twisted: :twisted:

WoodyWP.jpg

I then took it off the road for a bit and carried out a full check over and fitted some gaz coilovers, comp brake top mounts, heat wrappped the exhasut mainfold, fitted a trackday exhaust and some camber bolts. I then did a soaking wet track day at beadford autodrome.

LMP_7361.jpg

LMP_7188.jpg

LMP_7065.jpg

All was going well with the Clio untill one nice going down to lakeside cruse. On the way down we found a brand new R35 Skyline to play with, Not that there was much playing, Them things are rapid. After a couple of 3figure speeds passed the him, and then him past me, then me passed him (fair play to the guy. He seemed to really enjoy a little tear up) the Clio started to feel down on power. I couldn''t put my finger one exsactly what it was. It just didnt feel itself.

When we got to lakeside I checked all the levels witch were all fine and set off home. Sadly on the way home it started to knock :| :cry:

After 140,000 miles the engine had finally taken all the abuse it could and had spun a big end shell.

194047_10150437161215154_552175153_18136079_127206_o.jpg

191837_10150437180915154_552175153_18136311_3994185_o.jpg

204590_10150437191960154_552175153_18136432_685725_o.jpg

202072_10150437193775154_552175153_18136449_7481590_o.jpg

192645_10150437195020154_552175153_18136468_2211326_o.jpg

194413_10150437197395154_552175153_18136495_6680990_o.jpg

The damage

194414_10150522436595154_552175153_18273538_2325034_o.jpg

I wasnt't gunna let this be the end of my awesome little track car. As a matter of fact, this was a perfect excuse to put some plans I had into action.

Im now half way through rebuilding the engine, fully forged, low comp ready for a supercharger. The figure im going for it anywhere between 300bhp-350bhp. No more No less. Im also going to be fully rebuilding the gearbox and fitting some 4 pot brakes. :)

Hopefully ill have another update shortly :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Awesome!

I see a black Ph1 on white wheels with a massive sticker all over Chertsey/Addlestone most evenings. One of your mates I presume?

I also remember seeing your Transit when I was in my Ph1. I said to the Missus
Me said:
Look at that pikey piece of s**t and his big exhaust.
Then you booted it and left me for dead.

I'm still picking bits of my straw hat out of my teeth, lol.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Awesome!

I see a black Ph1 on white wheels with a massive sticker all over Chertsey/Addlestone most evenings. One of your mates I presume?

I also remember seeing your Transit when I was in my Ph1. I said to the Missus Then you booted it and left me for dead.

I'm still picking bits of my straw hat out of my teeth, lol.

It was the exhaust I hated most on that van. I needed a custom one and as you can imagine no one sold a 3 inch system for a connect. I went down the local powerflow to get them to make me a system. The plan was never to have it as loud as it was, I actully wanted a quite system to add to the suprise. The bloke at powerflow was jsut about to weld the mufflers in when i noticed they only had a 1inch bore hole through them. When I said about it his reply was, they used the same mufflers for all the bore pipe, so the hole in the box had to be for the smallest pipe they sold. In they end i ended up with No box's init at all. The pipe came off the turbo and out the back!

I do miss that thing. It was 320bhp when I sold it. The looks on people faces were priceless!!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love the Transit mate. Any build threads? Never got to read that one.

Liking the attitude you have. Quite refreshing on here. Sort of just do it, no pissing around attitude and at least when you do most of the work you know it's real power and not a number that some company charged you 8k for.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along. Do you know how long these things usually take you guys?

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Love the Transit mate. Any build threads? Never got to read that one.

Liking the attitude you have. Quite refreshing on here. Sort of just do it, no pissing around attitude and at least when you do most of the work you know it's real power and not a number that some company charged you 8k for.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along. Do you know how long these things usually take you guys?

The transit took about 2 weeks to build fully. This however is going to take quite a bit longer. It sounds silly but this is actully a much bigger scale project. Also I thought RS tax was bad on parts. Clio Rs tax seems to be new level! lol

I hope it will be at Trax, on the standard management with no supercharger. Reson behind that is im going to run the engine is with no boost. Once its run in, Im then going to bin the standard managment and fit the charger.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice idea mate, you clearly have you're head screwed on. I'm sure you could show half the RS tuners a thing or 2.

RS tax is a lot but even Standard Renault parts are a rip off. I work as an assessor and some of the prices Renault charge for small things are mental. So indeed you are definitely right!

Can't believe it took you 2 weeks to fit that engine in your transit! Don't have one lying spare for my FRP do you. :eek:

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Ive got a sliver top zetec turbo setting about waitng for a good home. Although I think jacks Mk2 XR2 has dibs on that lol.

Focus RS engines are massivly pricey. I gave 2k for the one from the van.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not a Turbo fan. I fancied Throttle bodies though. Don't think it's ever been done on the FRP yet.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I'm a turbo nut! A lag addict! When that boost comes in, its just a totally awesome feeling.
The pure reason I'm going for a rotrex is in hope that the linner power delivery will spare the gearbox from shitting itself every time I push the go button.

I'm experimenting at the moment, getting a casing and machining it out to take bigger bearings. I'm also having all the gears heat treated and shot peened.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Thank you for the kind words. I should have another update soon as alot of the engine parts are coming back from the machine shop this week, ready for the engine build. I've also ordered some billet alloy to make the caliper brackets with :)

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Small Update:- The Brembo's Are On :)

I wanted to upgrate the brakes on the clio without moving to bigger wheels (size 15inch) and I didn't want to use wheel spacers either. I found a cheap set of 406 Coupe Brembo 4 pot calipers and I came up with this..........

Normal brakes, Forgive the rust, the car has been sitting in the garden for 8months now.

c9636540.jpg

Note how far out the standard disc offset is

bb438c87.jpg

I needed to move the caliper more inboard so's not to need wheel spacers. I decided to run a different offset disc to move it all in. These are Ford disc's im guessing due to the 4x108 holes in them but they were easily re drilled to 4x100

4c4efe04.jpg

Note how much more these discs are tucked in by

60b92cdd.jpg

Once I knew where the disc was in refrerance to the caliper mounting bolts I was able to fab up some new mounting brackets in the correct thickness to alow everything to run inline. I used stainless steel witch was proberly overkill but its what I had laying about.

63009497.jpg

67fe1874.jpg

51da898a.jpg

Once I was happy with the bracket I'd made, I gave it a quick paint. Im not one for shiney bits everywhere.

f6eeeee6.jpg

e5f6d5c3.jpg

Annoyingly the caliper needed to sit right over the top of the bracket mounting bolts so I had to shave away some of the caliper but luckly is wasn't that much so didn't affect the strenght of the mounting.

e61e908a.jpg

And there we are done! I use the Team Dynamics everyday and the standard wheels of track use and both if with about 5mm of clearance. :)

f50795ab.jpg

96e95b8f.jpg

a7bf078f.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It doesn't look like the caliper is sitting far enough on to the disk. Excellent baragin on the calipers.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
It doesn't look like the caliper is sitting far enough on to the disk. Excellent baragin on the calipers.

I don't know why the pictures look like that. I think its the angle they've been taken. When you see them on the car they look fine. The tops of the pad are over the top of the disc by about 1-2mm

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Small update today.

Ive decidied I want the car too be 1000kg with me in it. That gave me too options. Lighten me or Lighten the car!

So today I started by taking out the dash and removing the sound deading from behind it and removing anything elce I felt I could live without.

ed339535.jpg

1b7f11bb.jpg

042921bf.jpg

As it was all apart, I decided to remove the heater box and get rid of the air-con matrix too

c655e0be.jpg

8500a38e.jpg

Also as everything was out, I decided to try and find a way to lower my steering coloum. As my bucket seats are mounted very low to keep my weight low, even with the colum on its lowest setting, the steering wheel was still a bit high for me. So I got to work on the lathe with some round bar and made these spacers.

8977707c.jpg

d22ad209.jpg

f11ea9b0.jpg

282f5189.jpg

ab43813d.jpg

Next I got a bit carried away and cut the dash in half. It actully fits very nicely.

e75fae9b.jpg

29871da5.jpg

398804e4.jpg

Then to finnish the day off i fitted my Cup spoiler and suck on a couple of track stickers. Yes I have driven every track that I've stuck on lol.

7aa28ec8.jpg

Next week im going to rip the ABS pump out and the brake lines ready for full braiding and install all the cables to put the battery in the boot.
roi.gif

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
The engine parts have finally arrived back from the machine shop!- Engine part p**n inside this post!

After shite service from a local machine shop, they have finally delivered the goods and appart from there crap customer service, there work is as always TOP!

Work I had done:-
Pistons weight matched
Rods end to end balcenced and weight matched
Flywheel skimed
Block Faced
Block Bored
Block Honed
Crank chain gear and cambelt gear keys
Full rotating assembley balanced.

DSC03889-1.jpg

DSC03890-1.jpg

DSC03887-1.jpg

First job was to repaint the sad looking block to smarten it up a bit :)

DSC03892-1.jpg

Then I had to measure all the ring gaps to make sure they're all correct for aplication.

DSC00740.jpg

Once I was satified with the ring gaps, the rings could go on the pistons, and the pistons onto the rods.

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

Next it was time to full clean the pistons and rods after putting them together and totally cover them in oil before putting them into the block.

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC03895-1.jpg

DSC03897-1.jpg

Next is a big order from renault, Bearings, Gaskets, Seals to finnish off the bottom end. Then I can start work on the head :)