ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SORN for 6 months - practical considerations?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
For those of you who declare you car SORN and only tax & run it for 6 months of the year, how do you choose when to put it away and when to bring it back out to play? To make the most of the British summer, do you run it between 1 April and 30 September?

Also, how best do you look after a car which isn't going to be run for 6 months and is parked outdoors over winter? What things should you do before you tuck it away, during the hibernation period, and when you want to get it back up & running?

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
It's not a car, but with the bike, I fire it up every couple of weeks, keep it under cover (luckily I have a garage too for it), move it about to stop it being sat on the same spot on the tyres for so long (keep them pumped up too), and that's it.

Battery hasn't even needed to be left on charge, but if yours does, then get a trickle charger/ battery conditioner.

I have never sorn'd my car so I can't help you there but if I was to leave my car standing for six months outside I would give it a good wash and clean and invest in a car cover, just to know its protected!
Then maybe 1 a week (or 2?) just give it a little run up and down the road, just to keep everything moving, also the correct grade oil for the weather! Oh and a steering lock, just so some little guy wearing a burberry cap and donnay trainers who's life motto is YOLO doesn't take it upon himself to go for a joyride! Thanks

53 Clio's & counting
If you can't use it its best to fill it right up with fuel so moisture can't collect in the fuel tank and rust, put the car on axle stands if you can to keep the weight off the suspension and bushes, if axle stands are no good then pump up the tyres to 50 plus psi to aviod flat spotting them.

Change the oil before hand too so there is no moisture in the old oil, and keep a window cracked open to help ventilation - a carcoon is perfect as it keeps blowing ar through to aviod any moisture

Sunflower Ph1 172
Give the interior a good clean. One thing I noticed over winter on the sunflower whilst it was sat over winter was mould on the seats. I ended up having to remove all the seats and give them a thorough clean, as well as the rest of the interior. Mould is easy enough to get rid of, but it's potentially quite dangerous when disturbed (if you breathe in the spores). So I'd say spray some (non bleach) dissinfectant on the seats, and keep and eye on them.

Also make sure the tyres are fully inflated. I left mine for 6+ months on fully inflated brand new tyres and the pressure had dropped to ~20psi however structurally they were fine (no cracks or flatspots) even though the car hadn't moved at all in that time.

Also get a waterproof car cover, mine didn't take too long to clean the car after it had been say for so long, but you'll be surprised just how much dirt and sand collects in the little gaps from rainwater.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Maybe start the engines once a fortnight and put heaters on to keep it dry ish, might help with the Mold..

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is dry stored but I run it every few weeks and turn it around on the drive and work through the electric commands. Try o avoid flat spotting etc.

also, disconnect the battery to reduce drain and quick charging - really fucked my battery quick

O

Oakley12

Leave the handbrake off.

THIS!!

Take handbrake off and put into gear. Get a good car cover and leave windows open half inch. I'd say start car up once every 2 weeks & like mentioned above, change oil and filter. Also make sure car is clean inside & out. Inside due to mould & outside due to car cover scratching the paintwork if dirty. Let the car run for around 5-10 minutes once started. 50psi in each tyre as stated.

​Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
megs off the road for 6 months of the year. handbrake off. no attery in the car. I unlock it every now and again and connect the battery to air it and cleaning it this weekend for the first time this year. it DESPERATELY needs a unit to stay in though...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unless the car can be covered/garaged I wouldn't leave it for 6 months. Will probably do more harm than good.

GW Stage 2 R26
Leaving a car outside with a car cover on is bad news IMO. No matter how soft it is, it will be scratched to buggery when you take it off..

I wouldn't sorn a car for 6 months outside

Mine gets a good wash and dry (including drying the coilovers etc... so they don't rust)
I usually give the coilovers a quick spray with some shock lube just to stop the rust.
Parked in the garage with handbrake off and a trickle charger on the battery

Once a month I fire it up - leave it to tick over till oil is nice and hot - move it up and down the driveway to move the tyres around or you can get flat spots

That's about it

I tax mine 1st May till October as summer tends to last quite late in this country and there's cheap track days around September/October