ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

South coast newbie Clio 172 cup

Clio 172 Cup + VX220
Hi Everyone,

Heard lots of good things about this forum so thought i'd sign up! My brother and i have just bought a 2003 Clio cup 172. We were looking for a fun car for hill climbs as well as using it to lug kayaks around in the summer.

This is what we went for, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271468492408

It needs a little work but we have a rough idea of the problems. There is a fair bit of play in the offside wheel which we discovered was the track rod end, so we bought new ones for both sides, crazy cheap!

There's also a horrible noise under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd, we assume this is the engine mount but we're not sure which one. what's the best way to test them, jack the engine up from underneath? Bearing in mind we're trying to keep bills to a minimum are the k-tec upgraded mounts worth going for?

The only other thing is the clutch, seems to be really springy and bites quite near the top, i find it quite difficult to drive at low speeds. Is this normal or is the clutch on the way out?

The bodywork needs some work as it has a few scuffs and the interior was well.... disgusting lol spent the entire day giving it a good clean with shampoo which has brought it back to life!

Overall we're very pleased and for the money it's a great motor!

172cup
Hi and welcome the clutch sounds fairly normal, Ktec engine mounts are good but for roads use are hard there solid top months are good all are expensive i would get a paid membership on here and look in the for sale section there's normally one's for sale, the noise under acceleration could be gearbox finger's crossed it's not