ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spark plug problem!

None
I think this maybe my fault for not doing better research before hand but i took my 182 for some new plugs the other day and since then i have had a couple of issues with cold starts, jumping when cold and popping, after doing research on here i know now i should have got them to put in the NGK PFR6E-10 plugs but i just looked at my receipt and it shows they only charged me £17 for the four plugs so clearly they are wrong but here lies my problem, it's now saturday and i won't be able to change them in time for FCS tomorrow so will i be ok to drive from yorkshire down to FCS and back on the plugs i have in without any lasting damage?.......it seems to run fine once warm but so far i have only done small trips.

Also i will be putting the NGK's in myself when i get them so any advice on how to get to the plugs would be much appreciated, i'm pretty competant but a step by step guide would be great if anyone has one please?........i don't want to take anything off i shouldn't be doing :(

PS
The garage i use are a bosche service centre so the plugs they used will most likely be bosche.

Many thanks in advance :)

ibiza cupra
think you can only use the ngk plugs mate. bosche ones will be wrong. not sure if they will cause any damage or not but will definatly effect the performance of the motor.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
iirc, Danny of the sideways variety knows all about these. Deffinately worth sending him a pm.

ITB'd MK1
he PM'd me the other day actually :) The low price is new though, definitely wont be the correct platinum plugs for that price, I pay significantly more than that at trade.

Removing the plenum isn't too hard really. Someone wrote a step by step the other day, so i wont repeat it all.

None
Cheers for the advice guys, i've pm'd Danny this morning so i'm off now to see if i can find somewhere that will sell the correct plugs and then i'll try get them in before FCS tomorrow :)

None
One more question guys, this might sound daft to the techies out there but is it ok to remove the battery terminals on the 182 with regards to the alarm?.....reason i ask is because on my old land rover discovery i had to remove the terminals within a set time after turning off the ignition or the alarm sounded.....i think it was some kind of anti tamper thing.

None
Ok cheers guys, i went to find some plugs this morning but no where stocks them so i'll be driving to FCS with the ones that are in and i'll get some proper ones off ebay next week, i might even do a newbie style step by step guide with pictures for those who aren't confident with the mechanical side of things....like me :)

Ps
I couldn't find a decent guide in here anywhere that hadn't had all the picture links removed so if anyone has a link to a good guide on here for changing 182 spark plugs could you copy the link please?..............thank you :)

None
Just a little update on this problem, i had to leave the plugs the other day as i ran out of time before FCS so i decided to go anyway, engine management light came on but i decided to risk it, spoke to Tom from jms at FCS and he said that it won't want to run right with bosche plugs in but the light coming on was more an indicator that the engine wasn't happy rather than a full fault..........turns out the plugs that my garage used were bosche super plus plugs.

Today i decided to give the plugs a go as i managed to get some from a local motor spares supplier(wish i had done that before being ripped off on Ebay as i still haven't received the ones i ordered from there the other day)
Anyway long story short, i did the plug change and now it's running a brand new set of NGK PFR6E-10 spark plugs, unfortunately the light is still on and it still struggles to start so i think i'll get it too RS tuning next week and see if Paul can do me a Rolling road session and maybe read the fault while it's on the computer.

My plan is to get jms to fit me their new intake manifold and together with Paul at RS tuning do the live mapping but i want this engine management light to go off first.

By the way........it did the 300 mile round trip to FCS with no issues other than the light being on

I also decided to do a comprehensive beginners plug change guide myself so i'll be putting that up as soon as i have done the write up, i found the ones that are their now are far too vague for begginers to follow, like not mentioning that you have to pull out/remove eight or nine pipes/wires to remove the plenum itself, my guide will include lots of pictures too ;)

Last edited:
  monaco 172
Just a little update on this problem, i had to leave the plugs the other day as i ran out of time before FCS so i decided to go anyway, engine management light came on but i decided to risk it, spoke to Tom from jms at FCS and he said that it won't want to run right with bosche plugs in but the light coming on was more an indicator that the engine wasn't happy rather than a full fault..........turns out the plugs that my garage used were bosche super plus plugs.

Today i decided to give the plugs a go as i managed to get some from a local motor spares supplier(wish i had done that before being ripped off on Ebay as i still haven't received the ones i ordered from there the other day)
Anyway long story short, i did the plug change and now it's running a brand new set of NGK PFR6E-10 spark plugs, unfortunately the light is still on and it still struggles to start so i think i'll get it too RS tuning next week and see if Paul can do me a Rolling road session and maybe read the fault while it's on the computer.

My plan is to get jms to fit me their new intake manifold and together with Paul at RS tuning do the live mapping but i want this engine management light to go off first.

By the way........it did the 300 mile round trip to FCS with no issues other than the light being on

I also decided to do a comprehensive beginners plug change guide myself so i'll be putting that up as soon as i have done the write up, i found the ones that are their now are far too vague for begginers to follow, like not mentioning that you have to pull out/remove eight or nine pipes/wires to remove the plenum itself, my guide will include lots of pictures too ;)

Nice1, should be good, all the guides I found had all the pictures removed

None
Just an update........

Had it on the diagnostics at RS Tuning today, the bad plugs hadn't caused a lasting issue and it turns out the engine management light coming on was a coincidence as it was triggered by the ABS system and nothing to do with the plugs at all!