ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sparying wheels the same color - need primer?

F56 MINI Cooper S
So I am going to go over my wheels with gloss black which is what they are at the moment, so i take it I wont need to primer them first?

I am thinking:

Sand over existing black paint with VERY fine sandpapers, few layers of gloss black, and then finally laquer them. Is this an ideal way of doing it, or will it be better to primer before the black paint goes on still?

Thanks

F56 MINI Cooper S
Is it necessary i primer though, as they are already black. If i sand them and go striaght into paint it will still work or not as well?

M135i
Should be fine like but its just recommended to use primer like even if its just a little coat would only need one tin

F56 MINI Cooper S
Maybe just do a thin layer of primer before then.

Wont need much preping/sanding down before will it as im doing the same colour?

Depends how good you want the finish to be I guess. Are you respraying because they're curbed?
If so it'd be hard to sort the scratches without sanding right down.

If not, you could just use some high grade paper, sand down all the laquer, respray over the basecoat, then lacquer again.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Just simply because when i had my tyres changed the fitters took some of the paint off, plus theres a few chips from over the winter so I want them looking mint again now its summer.

Just wanted to know the best way of doing it, dont really want to have to start from scracth again

F56 MINI Cooper S
Yeah i only need high grit sand paper dont I just so it is keyed enough and ok to stick? After keyed I can go straight in with the gloss black paint.

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
personally i'd put a coat or 2 of primer for the paint to stick to, i normally put 3 coats of primer

F56 MINI Cooper S
hello - went with no primer in the end, done them all day today, waiting now for them to dry for a few days