ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spigot rings - safety question?

ChrisCurr

ClioSport Club Member
  RenaultSport clio 17
Can anyone tell me if the spigot rings in the centre of the wheel helps to hold the wheel on? or is it just a locating device?

The reason is I have fitted some 17" superleggeras to my car but the centre hole is around 70mm, there doesn't seem to be any problems but wondering if it's safe?

Cheers

Chris.

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
i have them on my wolfrace wheels i was told not needed but helps to make the wheel sit flush to the hub

hope this helps

Nathan

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
PUT THEM ON, my wheel came off cos i didn't have them on (didn't come with wheels) luckily i was only doing 10mph cos i thought i had a punchture and was stuck in a single traffic lane, so kept moving to head towards a stop area, but thud thud thud, doink, the wheel came off, and now i have a broken wing, luckily the hub wasn't damaged had to call RAC cos the crappy renault jack broke trying to lift my cup up, so RAC man took bolts from other wheels and bolted it back on, i then ordred some spoggots from ebay.

i had my bolts on very tight, done about 500 miles with them on, then it happened. So put the spiggots on or go buy some from ebay. cos the wheel won't be centered properly, and after a while the vibration will force the wheel loose then your bolts will come off and if your on motorway your frucked !!!!

ChrisCurr

ClioSport Club Member
  RenaultSport clio 17
Thanks Dude,

I've ordered some, still not convinced they are needed but better to be safe than dead :)

ermm....now u have scared me bout yr wheel falling offf....i have had my 17'' wheels on the car for bout 8 months they were originaly of a tigra so the the ofset and the center hub thing is different....i had to put 10mm spacers on the front to clear the brake calipers then had to get longer bolts from Rtec so that it could actually reach the hub....the only prob i have had is vibrationn at over 80mph the tyre shop said this is because need spigott rings as it helps to centralize the wheel....

so the only thing i can say is that without them you are not garanteeing the wheel is central on the hub hence the vibration at high speeds

any one know how much and are there different ones to order also where from...cheers guys

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i got some from ebay, u need to measure your center bore size and the center size on the wheels, then they make um. as well as preventing your wheels falling off, you will have a less bumpy ride :)

ChrisCurr

ClioSport Club Member
  RenaultSport clio 17
Hi Vic,

The centre on a 172 ph1 is 60.1mm, you then need to measure the inner of the wheel. Type wheel spigots in ebay and you'll find the ones you need.

koi

Audi S1
Defo fit spigot rings unless you want to see your wheel bouncing down the road in your mirror...oh that was a great day lol