ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

split CV boot fitting ball joint - help!

on my williams 3 i was planning to replace both bottom ball joints - while removing the first one i had the drive shaft etc flop over the side iof the wishbone and i ripped it putting it back - this job is loads harder then when i did it on my 16v! :mad:

how difficult is it to replace the outer CV boot? whats involved?special tools?

does the nut and bolt retaining the bottom ball joint need to come right out? i took the nut off and the bolt is in very tight

any help very much appreciated as i need to decide weather to try and fit the boot etc myself or get a "proper" mechanic to do what i thought would be a simple job - the main thing i have found is the suspension is so hard that re-fitting the old ball joint was near impossible! is there an easier way of either lifting the suspension or lowering the wishbone to re-fit the two ball joint bolts?

or would it be best to bolt the ball joint on prior to inserting it into the suspension setup??

basically, undo driveshaft bolt in the middle of the disc which is fappin TIGHT. undo the 2 strut to hub bolts push the shaft out of the hub, then replace the gaitor.

not too tricky but youll need a minor earthquake to release that bolt if you dont have air on it...or use a long bar and try that, worked for me.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if its got the claw style cv joint on the outer part of the shaft you would be easier stripping it from the inner end and sliding your new gaitor on from the inner end.is it a o/s or n/s driveshaft your asking about?

it o/s and for £20 ill keep my office boy hands clean and sort i think!

cheers for the advice though - my problems with such jobs is i break thing in the process, this is why it needs doing in the forst place!