ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Split & Polish... Mad'in Refurb

These Mad'in split rims are my pride and joy and thought it was time to make them something special by giving them a split & polish... Dare i say i love these wheels more than any car lol

The wheels looked like this when i bought them

IMG_2708.jpg

I refurbed them in matt black for my 5 GT Turbo which kept them rather stealth and understated

IMG_5668.jpg

I have tryed to polish them before but I gave up due to an anodized like coating on the wheels (It was the factory colour under the yellow paint).. This picture shows the result of 2 hours in my blast cab.. see why i gave up lol

PICT3542.jpg

The time has come to have another go at polishing.. I split the wheels & sent them to the local blasters but he said it would be to much work due to the thick coating on the dishes... So I just left the centres to be blasted

My friend used these discs to eat the rust on his Mk1... They strip like a b**ch and leave minimal damage to the metal below the paint.. Highly recomended tbh

IMG_9729.jpg

IMG_9734.jpg

1 hour a piece later and the dishes look like this

IMG_9022.jpg

I used 80 grit wet & dry to remove the deeper scratches the sanding disc had left

IMG_9020.jpg

I worked down the grades 80 - 120 - 240 - 360 - 400 grit wet and dry

IMG_9021.jpg

This picture shows the 3 different stages

IMG_9019.jpg

I sanded them down again 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000grit and added a few layers of autosol metal polish

IMG_9062.jpg

At this point i worked out i had not removed enuff of the deep scratches left by the disc, so I had to take them back all the way back to 120grit and worked up the grades back to 1200 grit then added 5 layers of Autosol.. They now look like this

IMG_9725.jpg

IMG_9727.jpg

Ive got over 40 hours in the dishes alone... Im still waiting on getting the centres back from the blasters but they will need much less work to get them shiney hopefully.. leaving me just the bolts to polish

I can't wait to get them built back up!!!!.. thanks for reading :)

Cheers folks... I really can't wait to finish them

Sarah.. Ive still got my Caddy daily hack and I have not long bought a Mk1 Scirocco which will home these wheels

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice job Winston mate!

Look forward to the finished product!

S23

The Cleee-O
:star: Gorgeous wheels!!! And that is some mass dedication to getting them looking good, but the end result is gonna be incredible. Can't wait to see these! :D

This is not good at all, not one pic showing an actual angle grinder!

Looking good, I nearly called in on the way to Brooky the other day to see if you were about as I wanted to see the Rocco, but I had to get back lol

Small update

In the time the blasters had the wheels they did 1/2 a centre lol... So I took them back to do myself.. They could be done by now ffs. It turns out the wheels would have been quite badly pitted even after the fine blasting, So thats saved me some cash tbh

After removing the black paint with the grinder like i did with the dishes. I had to remove the pitting, I did this with my mates detail sander and 80 grit sand paper.

IMG_0474.jpg

As they stand today.. 1 down.. 3 to go and then all the dishes and centres need machine polishing to give them that finishing bling factor before i bolt them back together.

IMG_0472.jpg

Not long now fingers crossed :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Hero.

Not seen you in ages mate, you'll have to come to a meet when they're all done... in like, 2014 :p