ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

splitting gearbox from engine. cant get it off, help ....

gti
hi im currently replacing the crunchy gearbox on my 2004 182.

ive got the driveshafts out. all the box bolts and sensors etc are removed.

ive got about a 5mm gap and can see the flyweel but i just cant get the box off any furthur. ive tried the wiggle i off approach but no luck

any ideas? thanks

clio 172 phs 1
Do you have the subframe removed? Also have u removed the 2 threaded rods with the torx head on them which are threaded into the block through the g/box? it makes it a lot easier to remove with the 2 threaded rods removed.

Last edited:
  gti
its a knightmare, ive go a new box so could i just hammer it off? its asif theres something keeping it on but i think its jsut age because i cant see anytying at all that would be stopping it

clio 172 phs 1
If you have the subframe removed and the threaded bolts out it shouldn't be difficult at all to remove,a little wiggle but you shouldnt need to hammer it!

E90 320d
Press the clutch pedal. I have done that a few times. The force pushes the box off nice and evenly (Unless the clutch is dead)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Get a pry bar or a large screw driver in the gap and try and lever them apart.

It'll be the splines of the output shaft seized on the clutch so wiggling, shaking and prying will work if done with some swearing.

Make sure all bolts and nuts are off.