ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying a Trophy

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
You wouldn't catch footballers doing this kind of thing...well, maybe one!
stephen-ireland-audi2.jpg

Wonder what colour it is now he's (Stephen Ireland) at Villa?? ;)

williams and trophy
flol so you are now suggesting paying a load to have it sprayed blue, then pay another load to spray it red again before selling it? Are you pissed or something?

The bits you are missing is that everyone is telling him not to paint it because it was cost lots of money for a very silly reason. It may be his choice, in the same way it would be my choice to go and key every panel of my car for a lol just so i can paint it all over again. I'm sure most people would say that was a silly idea.

Trophy's are red. Its as simple as that. I am not sure if anyone ever painted a Williams pink or whatever, but from a purists point of view, if they did, no knob would buy it as they are meant to be blue. And its the same principle with the Trophy which is meant to be red.

As for your comment that lots of people mod cars in other ways to take it away from standard, and that no one moans at that, its becuase there is actually a market for modded clios, you could actually sell one. There is however no market crying out for a blue Trophy that someone has painted as they are scared their car will get egged for being red.

lmao. read the thread properly. its not about the cost to him. its about his personal preference. which is why people mod their cars. not everyone has the same preference. which is why people either buy a std car and put their mark on it by doing something to it that THEY want to.

as for the purists point. im sure some people would be put off, but if they could get the car say £1500 cheaper than any other, they might well be tempted. if i went to look at a williams,, the main thing for me would be that it was bodily sound, 9/10 it would need painting by now anyway so thatd be something i would be taking into account before i even went to look at it. the pink trophys will also need painting. so 1 thats £1500 cheaper would pay for the respray and still put it at the same price as one that still needs painting.

Stripped yozza'd cup
hmmm. how many people have had bodies, s/c kits, turbo mods...do they return their car back to std to sell, or do they leave them fitted to offer something diff to a buyer in the hope theyl get more money for it?

How is a supercharger even remotely comparable to spraying your car blue so as not to offend a football team?
Yet again, you're just replying to bait an argument. Yes, it's his car, he can do what he likes with it.

Would you buy a blue trophy?! I expect not... I certainly wouldn't. It will effectively render the car unsaleable.

White clique
^^ yes thats right 2live all trophy's are now due a respray, i forgot all cars need a respray every 6 years.

i'm out.

Passat
Thinking of buying one and just torching the c**t after this.

Ha, no I appreciate everyones views and yes, I had had a beer last night. I just thought it would be something different. That's what most of us want in our car in some respect isn't it?

And as for the abuse...you're on a frigging Clio forum. I'm not the only one who could do a bit of growing up.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The thing with 2liveloltroll is if anyone even dared to change the original factory number plate on a 80 year old spider chariot,he cry himself to sleep.

Also, if it's all about the drive, and nothing to do with the colour or the name, why would he care that a Trophy-spec blue 182 would "NEVER" be a Trophy?

Evo 5 RS
Thinking of buying one and just torching the c**t after this.

Ha, no I appreciate everyones views and yes, I had had a beer last night. I just thought it would be something different. That's what most of us want in our car in some respect isn't it?

And as for the abuse...you're on a frigging Clio forum. I'm not the only one who could do a bit of growing up.

Daft question gets daft answers, simple as that. Be nice now

Mini Cooper S sport
oh the irony. the lad that painted his white....remember a non standard colour, got nothing but praise

But Trophys are a special, limited edition and only come in red! Not the same.

The point is, changing the colour because of a football team is f**king ridiculous.

williams and trophy
^^ yes thats right 2live all trophy's are now due a respray, i forgot all cars need a respray every 6 years.

i'm out.

not all cars no. the pigment in the red paint will turn it pink in time. isnt there already a thread on how to try look after the paint on here??

if you turned up to look at a trophy and the paint had faded and turned pink....would you then assume that this wasnt a trophy due to it being the wrong colour??

Now stripped 172 cup
LOL blue... you will be wanting to make it pink next like the away kit!

please give it a rest!!

Evo 5 RS
2 live, sorry fella but red cars don't fade like that anymore. Certain chemicals are put into the laquer to help provent UV light damaging the paint. You're living in the past...
Although they will still fade in time you're talking years and years depending on how well the cars kept

I was under the impression that modern paints don't fade due to the laquer?

Not that it's even a valid argument. T-Cut a Trophy because it's faded a bit or spray it blue. Tough choice.

Honda & VW
Buy a blue 182, get the sach dampers and the Recaro seats and whack some Trophy decals on the side if you so wish, this way you will still be able to sell it and also not have spent a fortune to then never get it back

Your original idea is a VERY daft thought if you ask me

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
2 live, sorry fella but red cars don't fade like that anymore. Certain chemicals are put into the laquer to help provent UV light damaging the paint. You're living in the past...
Although they will still fade in time you're talking years and years depending on how well the cars kept

I was under the impression that modern paints don't fade due to the laquer?

Not that it's even a valid argument. T-Cut a Trophy because it's faded a bit or spray it blue. Tough choice.

Sadly both you guys are kinda wrong.

Years ago when Reds were solud colour (1coat) you could polish them up. These days and even the dc2's. Red's are clear overbase. Red basecoat and clear lacquer (top coat).

Owners are already reporting problems with their handles pinking. Don't forget the fading is under the uv protection.

Surely everyone remembers Milano Red! Only way to fix the problem is repainting!

Anyway I digress. The op is an utter tool for even asking the question. Imo Capsicum is one of the best Reds and one of the best colours on any car.

Meh. Just sand the clearcoat off and the T-Cut the base coat. JD.

Or spray it blue because it's the drive that matters, not the fact that it's a Trophy. Even though you can't use the hardware on any other 182 because it won't be a Trophy.

williams and trophy
lol. so a 182 with trophy stickers seats and susp is a trophy then??

the plaque means nothing.

this must be the case with the mk1 valvers and williams' too then. fukkit, why pay the premium of a williams when a sports blue valver is exactly the same with widetrack and interior/wheels. lol. aye alright.

Stripped yozza'd cup

the plaque means nothing.

this must be the case with the mk1 valvers and williams' too then. fukkit, why pay the premium of a williams when a sports blue valver is exactly the same with widetrack and interior/wheels. lol. aye alright.

You seem to have resorted to argueing with yourself..... If you buy it 'for the driving experience' then in all respects, yes, it is exactly the same as a trophy.
The things that are unique to the trophy are what makes it a trophy, the red paint is one of those things.

Dunno mate I'm asking you. You said the only thing that matters is the drive, so I'm guessing a blue 182 with Trophy hardware is the same a blue Trophy? Or at least as much as a blue Trophy is still a Trophy?

williams and trophy
im not argueing with myself lol. the driving experience will be the same.but it will still NEVER be a trophy, unless it was manufactured as a trophy. a green williams is still a williams a capsicum rs500 is still an rs500...a tweeked cossie even tho it may have the same bits as the rs500 may make it look like one, but it will NEVER be an original.

williams and trophy
lol. im deeply hurt lol.

feirny..everyone has an opinion , perma bans dont count for the clique huh?? rules are rules...and when they are broken you as mod should be seen to act on them, not sweep them under the carpet cos its 'your mate' thats broken them.

williams and trophy
would i paint a williams...yes...i wouuld have no problem with that.

would i paint it because of a football team....no.

the OP has already stated its a silly idea but one that hed be tempted to do.

who are we to argue?? i drive a spider infested rust ridden shed. you drive an over rated overpriced dagenham dustbin

williams and trophy
yeah, maybe quite a lot of the replies were a little harsh tho??

end of the day its his choice is it not?