ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spraying black plastic bumpers

My bicycle!!
Right my mate wants me to give him a hand spraying his bumpers, now, they are like textured, how would i smooth that down to ensure a smooth surface to spray to, i was thinking sanding, but i know that sanding plastic creates fluffing on it!

any sugestions?

:S

my sidestrips were textured, and i just used different grades of wet and dry to smooth it down, took quite a while though................same with my front bumper strips acctually come to think of it

if i had like a black+decker mouse for sanding it would have been miles better and quicker, but i didnt so traditional wet and dry it was

use wet and dry paper and keep it wet, wont fluff up then, just dont use too coarse, start with say 300grit and work upto 1200grit so its really really smooth

Punto/Clio GTT
give them a sanding with P320, it wont furr up, only if you use coarser paper it starts to do it.

if any does furr up, just wetflat it down with P800, P1000 or P1200.

as for the texture, just build up layers of high build primer. you using a spraygun or aerosols? if you got a spraygun n compresser, just build up loads of layers of 2k primer, if youre using aerosol cellulose, give them a few coats and leave it to sink in for a day or so, then sand it down and give it another few coats of primer

kic

former 1.2 16v, now corsa
a rough key with some fine grit, quick spray with primer (the primer fills in cracks/texture), smoothe with wet and dry, another spray of primer and rub with wet and dry before paint, saves time in sanding trying to get the high spots of the plastic down to the deepest cracks if you get what i mean

JUST SEEN ABOVE POSTS!

Last edited:
  E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
If you dont put an adhesion promoter or plastic primer on before your high build it will all fall off, it wont crack if you do it this way. Plus dont fill big scratches with high build as it will only shrink back two weeks later and look gash.