ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying 'Clio' sign, Bullets and Diamonds HELP!! Post pics

Clio 182
Fellow Clio Enthusiasts im going to attempt to spray my 'Clio' sign, Bullets and Diamonds just looking for some useful advice for the best possible finish and shine. Ive tried previously and it came out very dull and annoyed me im doing florescent orange by the way lol so please anybody with pics and helpful advice please it would be greatly appreciated!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Did you rub it down and use a primer before spraying the first time round? Not sure why it came out dull, how many layers did you spray on?

Please don't do florescent though it looks crap on a roar car imo.

Clio 182
Did you rub it down and use a primer before spraying the first time round? Not sure why it came out dull, how many layers did you spray on?

Please don't do florescent though it looks crap on a roar car imo.

I didn't sand/rub it down I thought I could get away with it but failed! I used primer but only 2 coats and only 2 coats of orange.

Oh and the only reason I'm doing it fluorescent is in memory of my mate he loved his clio sport and bright colors I think his looked quite good it was something different.

You need to key the surface (sand down so its not shiny and the paint has something to stick to) clean clean clean!

3/4 coats of a primer, leaving 30 mins between each coat (maybe use a plastic primer) then leave for a an hour or 2 to dry.

Make sure its not tacky, flat it back a little bit with a 2500 wet n dry paper (do it wet) to get it smooth.

Clean clean clean 3/4 coats of colour, same process as with primer.

Then 3/4 coats of lacquer, hopefully you shouldn't have to flat the lacquer back though (I think?) Leave overnight to dry.

Astra (H) VXR
^^ This

pretty much the same as i did with mine..

you deffinately need to sand them down though, the chrome plastic will not accept the paint properly if you dont. it just runs!!

i used a pearlescent paint on mine and they have come up quite well, will try post some pictures later.

Clio 182
You need to key the surface (sand down so its not shiny and the paint has something to stick to) clean clean clean!

3/4 coats of a primer, leaving 30 mins between each coat (maybe use a plastic primer) then leave for a an hour or 2 to dry.

Make sure its not tacky, flat it back a little bit with a 2500 wet n dry paper (do it wet) to get it smooth.

Then 3/4 coats of lacquer, hopefully you shouldn't have to flat the lacquer back though (I think?) Leave overnight to dry.

I used white primer on my failed attempt do you guys think I should use plastic primer instead? I just want the florescent to be bright and shiny how its meant to be. What gives it the shiny gloss finish is it the lacquer?

Clio 182
^^ This

pretty much the same as i did with mine..

you deffinately need to sand them down though, the chrome plastic will not accept the paint properly if you dont. it just runs!!

i used a pearlescent paint on mine and they have come up quite well, will try post some pictures later.

Yeah I'm on my way to halfords as I type this to get some equipment! What sanding paper roughness did you use? If you could post pics that would be great!

Astra (H) VXR
Yea plastic primer and build up the coats.. Then lacquer them that gives it he shine

D506349A-ACEE-4D76-B98F-2F48FC3E836C-8552-000009E0348B1B4A.jpg

Lost the pic of the door bullets but the hopefully that gives you the idea

Astra (H) VXR
Also I just bought a halfords multipack of different grades... The sanding is only to rough the service a bit so the paint takes to it..

Clio 182

I'm trying to get a shiny finish is there anything else I would need or will this come with the lacquer???

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Put the lacquer can in a bowl of warm water for a while before spraying; gives a great finish afterwards :)

Here's how I sprayed my bullets:

Firstly I masked up the bullets and used a block to smooth down the raised numbers.

4.png

Then went through 600, 800 and 1200 wet and dry paper to remove the rest of the numbers and scratches (as well as keying it so it could be primed)

6.png

8.png

I then sprayed a few coats of primer.

9.png

Finally I gave them about 2/3 coats of gloss black (Didn’t need lacquer)

10.png

Finished product :)

13.png

Sorry for all the pics but I hope they help. I thought It'd be easier showing the process instead writing of a block of text :)

Dan

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Here's how I sprayed my bullets:

Firstly I masked up the bullets and used a block to smooth down the raised numbers.

4.png

Then went through 600, 800 and 1200 wet and dry paper to remove the rest of the numbers and scratches (as well as keying it so it could be primed)

6.png

8.png

I then sprayed a few coats of primer.

9.png

Finally I gave them about 2/3 coats of gloss black (Didn’t need lacquer)

10.png

Finished product :)

13.png

Sorry for all the pics but I hope they help. I thought It'd be easier showing the process instead writing of a block of text :)

Dan

really good that! wish mine looked somewhat like them but they are tacky standard ones :( need to do my side strips also!

Williams 2
What does the term "flat it back" involve exactly?

In terms of getting a good, shiny finish it just means using a fine wet and dry paper to get the paint nice and flat. 1500 is common for wet sanding.

This gets the paint nice and flat and takes the top off any defects in the paint, aka 'denibbing', you then have to compoud after to remove the scratches and bring the shine back up.

^That.

Just gets rid of any nasty bits/orange peel at the top of the paint + creates a nicer shine once polished up nice.

I also just saw I wrote "clean coat" I obviously meant clear coat :p

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
In terms of getting a good, shiny finish it just means using a fine wet and dry paper to get the paint nice and flat. 1500 is common for wet sanding.

This gets the paint nice and flat and takes the top off any defects in the paint, aka 'denibbing', you then have to compoud after to remove the scratches and bring the shine back up.

Thanks for that. A DA sander would be a good option after flatting it back then?

Williams 2
Thanks for that. A DA sander would be a good option after flatting it back then?

DA sanding AFTER flatting back isn't a good idea no lol.

You need to use compound after flatting the paint back either with a machine polisher or by hand.

DA's are good sanding large flat panels like doors and bonnets. When spraying small bits and bobs just flat it by hand with wet and dry.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
DA sanding AFTER flatting back isn't a good idea no lol.

You need to use compound after flatting the paint back either with a machine polisher or by hand.

DA's are good sanding large flat panels like doors and bonnets. When spraying small bits and bobs just flat it by hand with wet and dry.

If I'm going to spray the interior of my car mondial blue. I didn't mean sanding sorry, I meant I have my own Dual Action polisher. Would I use that with the compound to polish the paint up after flatting it back?

If I'm going to spray the interior of my car mondial blue. I didn't mean sanding sorry, I meant I have my own Dual Action polisher. Would I use that with the compound to polish the paint up after flatting it back?

Yeah a DA would be perfect.

EDIT: Maybe not for a rattle can job though.

Last edited:
  Williams 2

As above, electric DA polisher would be good, might be a bit tricky doing little bits of trim though (getting them to stay still whilst you polish etc)

Lacquer out of a can isn't very 'hard' so might even be easier using compound by hand but see how you get on.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Thanks both, I have a compressor set up in my workshop. I already have a gravity fed gun, also have all the paint, lacker, hardener and thinners ready to go. I've bought an air fed mask a few weeks ago on eBay, about to get a 3 stage filter this week.

Your help is very much appreciated

Williams 2
Thanks both, I have a compressor set up in my workshop. I already have a gravity fed gun, also have all the paint, lacker, hardener and thinners ready to go. I've bought an air fed mask a few weeks ago on eBay, about to get a 3 stage filter this week.

Your help is very much appreciated

Lol you're definatley ready to go then.

Out of interest, is your DA polisher air powered?

When the weather is nicer I'm spraying my spoiler for the astra using rattle cans. Keeping the part warn seems essential. When I did a matte black spray job on my front diamond on my old Clio between each coat I stuck it on a hot radiator for 15 mins. The heat thins the paint when it's wet and it seems to help gravity make it naturally smooth itself out.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Nick

Astra (H) VXR
Looking at some of these bullets, mine are coming off at the weekend!! Colour code the lettering I think..

You will need to flat it (dull the shine) before you lacquer,else there is a strong chance the lacquer will fail in the future as that base coat is cured fully now. We use a flatting compound, which is ~1000 grit to flat lacquered paint, combined with scotch bright pad, either way you'll need to very carefully flat it so not to go through the paint. Obviously if this was a metalic you would have to repaint, but as its a solid black you should be ok.

There is also a slim chance when you lacquer it of a paint reaction if you use a different type of paint.......

Haha :p

You know how I used gloss black paint and didn't lacquer over the top, what would happen if I did?

Would it give it a protective layer or look sh#te as the gloss black is already shiny?

Astra (H) VXR
You will need to flat it (dull the shine) before you lacquer,else there is a strong chance the lacquer will fail in the future as that base coat is cured fully now. We use a flatting compound, which is ~1000 grit to flat lacquered paint, combined with scotch bright pad, either way you'll need to very carefully flat it so not to go through the paint. Obviously if this was a metalic you would have to repaint, but as its a solid black you should be ok.

There is also a slim chance when you lacquer it of a paint reaction if you use a different type of paint.......

Trade secrets... Or are the details wrong so you have to repair them... Ahhh I see what you did there!! Good plan!! Hahaha :)