ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying front grills

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
What's the best way to prep plastic before spraying? Wet and dry? Then panel wipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
be interested to know... doing mine in the spring
Only just found out both front wings are plastic- damned frost protector wont stick LOL

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I just gave mine a quick clean and sprayed some matt black aerosol on them. Still look good after 6 months

dan's cast offs.
scotch pad, clean and then halfords adhesion promoter or whatever they call it? i use it on ally and all sorts, really good stuff. watch out though goes on like water.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Cheers! I'll be having it sprayed at work as I don't trust my self [emoji3] I want it perfect! I know what I'll be doing this weekend then!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
mine will be in the back garden, sunny day, glass of cider and bumper raised 3 foot up in the (Non existent) air
Just want the flaking paint gone

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
After cleaning the car it's the grills that let it down! Quite badly faded so purchased a spare set to spray black and hopefully makes the car abit more pretty [emoji3]

E46 M3, Clio 182
I used black plastidip to paint mine. Gave them a very quick wipe down, followed by a few generous layers, which seem to of worked really well!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Why not try some G Techniq C4? Yeh it's expensive but will last for ages and won't chip like paint will.

2004 Clio 182 cup
I used halfords plastic primer an matt black flexible paint think it was called no problems whatsoever

Attachments

• 20161222_195428.jpg
    20161222_195428.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20161222_195342.jpg
    20161222_195342.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 58166ae821402_1.jpg
    58166ae821402_1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20161227_183216.jpg
    20161227_183216.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 297

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Forget where I got mine. It's not a cheap date but the small bottle lasts for ages

It's about 15 after a quick mooch

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah saw that mate, expensive but worth it if it lasts ages like you say. £15 for 30ml or £50 for 360ml?! That'll last longer than im alive!

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Why not try some G Techniq C4? Yeh it's expensive but will last for ages and won't chip like paint will.

I will grab some pictures for you later. The other nice thing about plastidip is that it's very durable and much less likely to chip than paint!

Have you got any pics of the plastic dip Matt?

I'm curious to see the results, plus I've seen G Technic G4 give great results

E46 M3, Clio 182
Have you got any pics of the plastic dip Matt?

I'm curious to see the results, plus I've seen G Technic G4 give great results

Unfortunately I don't own the car anymore (or have any pictures on my work PC). There is a new thread for the car though created by Jimbo1990 :)

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I used to work in body shops and this is how i would do it. I would also recommend the G4 good results, easy to apply and lasts a while. You can also use the old heat gun trick and that brings the colour right back.

* Remove and clean the grill, use some degreaser or IPA
* Key the surface either with a scotch pad or some fine grade sandpaper.
* Wipe the grill down with more degreaser or IPA
* Use plastic primer, you can get it in an aerosol. Follow instructions, probably best to do at least two coats
* Spray with your colour of choice, first coat go light and whilst it's still tacky go for the second coat. It's better to do some light coats then heavy wet runny ones.

Any more info let me know.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I used to work in body shops and this is how i would do it. I would also recommend the G4 good results, easy to apply and lasts a while. You can also use the old heat gun trick and that brings the colour right back.
* Remove and clean the grill, use some degreaser or IPA
* Key the surface either with a scotch pad or some fine grade sandpaper.
* Wipe the grill down with more degreaser or IPA
* Use plastic primer, you can get it in an aerosol. Follow instructions, probably best to do at least two coats
* Spray with your colour of choice, first coat go light and whilst it's still tacky go for the second coat. It's better to do some light coats then heavy wet runny ones.
Any more info let me know.

I'm probably going to give Technic G4 a go. Easiest, quickest and looks good. Probably try small areas like the 2No exhaust surrounds in the bumper, as they are virtually grey. Failing that i'll have a go at spraying with your pointer's. Thanks Rojer :up:

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I used halfords plastic primer an matt black flexible paint think it was called no problems whatsoever

Paul they look superb!

Did you apply any lacquer to them Paul? Would be a shame for them to chip after all that effort :)

I got some Solution Finish black trim restorer, and it’s worked well for the last 6-8 months....can’t quite remember when I applied it.

But looking at Paul’s pics again, I’m probably going to spray all the grilles, and fog light surrounds when I change my cracked n/s fog light.