ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying

Has anyone had any experience with spraying wiht an air gun / compressor.

My m8 put the idea of gettting one inot my head 2day, i can get a decent sized compressor for about £120, and gun is only about £30 ish.

Ive been quoted by a m8s uncle to paint my front and rear bumpers £100, my thinking is this will save me big bucks, esp as im plannign to get a bonnet, and front and rear bumpers and skirts, and dash.

Ive sucessfully painted my trim wiht spray cans.

What does anyone think, settign my sights on my ability too high? Or a good idea?

bad idea you need a larger compressor a better quality gun also an air feed mask because of the cyanide in the paint hardner

Im not to sure TBH - yeah, you could paint the bits using the gun etc but remember that preparation and temperature are critical for a proper job. Bodyshops usually put the car/parts etc into a heated tent while doing the job and also leave them to cure at a certain temperature as well so if you also do this then go for it, otherwise it might be better to cough up for a proper job......

could be done, but like above, would have to prepare properly for a good job. dont just meen the parts, you will have to prep the area, i.e. warm, no wind, as dust free as poss. is possible in theory though. theres a gtt round my way that did this, and although he had to re-do it a couple of times!! not bad job though!

You need a proper booth and as somone said you need masks and stuff to stop syanide getting to you. get your uncle to do it mate. but end of the day its your choice.

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

I wouldnt bother mate.

I watched my dad for many years doing bodywork and spraying. Its not easy! You wouldnt get the right finish without really good equipment, which doesnt come cheap.

& as people have said above, youll have dust all over the place! If its metallic, laquers not the easiest thing to put on too. Plus youve got the added cost of the paint itself, depending on what youve got is not particularly cheap.

If i were you, id let your uncle do it, but you could prep. the areas which need spraying for him. As M.B. said, prepping is everything - get it wrong and it will reflect badly in the end result. Prepping takes time, quite alot. A proper bodyshop would mainly charge for the time to just prep. the car, not so much for the spraying.

If i were to take my valver to the bodyshop for a re-spray of the entire car (its all stripped out inside & out, and the engine was taken out last night), it would probably only cost me a few hundred quid, instead of well over a thousand! This is because its all stripped out, masked up, and rubbed all over for a key, and painting is all thats left. See the difference?!

Youre choice mate but i personally wouldnt bother, and would just prep. the car yourself in the future if you need anything doing. Assuming of course you can use filler well!

Hope this helps,

Al