ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

squeaking on full lock?

Clio 182
Hi,

Just recently whenever I'm doing a 3 point turn or similar, there is a squeak that I think comes from the front suspension somewhere..

Is this common, is something likely to be knackered, and is it likely to fail its MOT as a result (which is today!)

cheers

Nick

Clio 182
definately not a power steering issue - its not that kind of sound.

it happens even at very slow speeds, so I dont think its to do with the suspension compressing.. its sort of a rubbery squeaking sound, so maybe bushings (which I believe is an MOT fail.. stunning!)

Clio Sport 172 Cup
I get exactly the same noise when on full lock, it doesn't seem as bad as it used to be. Let me know if it fails on this or not as my MOT is due next month,

Cheers.

172 cup
I've never had this problem with my cup, but a mate who has a totally standard 172 cup has it, and seems to think his front break line rubs the shock and makes a squeaking sound on full lock. think he only has it turning one way though.

Clio 182
So do I, its when I turn right.

Just changed my discs and pads, all the brake lines seem in order

Just have to wait and see I suppose!

Clio 182
well its had its MOT and passed - but to be fair I dont think they did much MOT-ing since they ignored my lack of a cat.

Going in for a service in a couple of weeks so I'll get it checked out then

Think this is caused by a nut catching somewhere on the front suspension (I don't understand all the in's and out's of it I'm afraid :eek: )

Renault know about the problem and offer a 'fix' which involves grinding down something to stop it catching - this can lead to problems with corrosion though if they don't protect it again properly.

A better fix is to put a washer (5 or 6mm IRRC) on the suspension top mount. (The V6 comes with this standard I believe.) A while ago some members were producing these washers for a small fee. I bought some and it reduced the squeeking a bit, but not totally. Might be worth searching the thread. Think fredyozzasport suggested this solution.

Clio 172 Ph1
Maybe aux belt rubbing on tensioner when on full lock. Check with a help of a friend.
I have that problem, so i am changing tensioner.