ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stahlbus speed bleeder valves

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got any experience with these?

The bleed valves on my brembo calipers have started weeping on track, probably due to opening and closing too often.

I'm having them refurbished and would like to avoid this happening again, would these speed bleeder valves work on track?

Only reservation I've got is that they seem to stick out a bit more which might make them vulnerable to snapping off if a stone hits them?

A bit like the Stahlbus oild drain valve, looks good but without an undertray I'm not sure I'd like it sticking out that much.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I've sent a message to demontweeks and Max at M.S. Custom Engineering (where my brakes are now). See what they come back with.

@frayz I seem to remember you were quite happy with the Stahlbus oil drain valve, have you given these any consideration?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
They are very common in the bike world, I wouldn't have any issues with running them in regards to confidence.

That's were I've found them, my brother mentioned a lot of his friends have them on their bikes.

@Louis agreed, they are expensive but if I'm messing up my bleed valves again and need them refurbed I'd rather spend the 80 quid. And it makes for easier bleeding apparently, saves getting out the eezi bleed on trackdays.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Is that Castrol SRF?

I was thinking of at least going to RBF 600 from ATE typ200.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've sent a message to demontweeks and Max at M.S. Custom Engineering (where my brakes are now). See what they come back with.

@frayz I seem to remember you were quite happy with the Stahlbus oil drain valve, have you given these any consideration?
I use Castrol SRF in both the Clio and Cayman, great stuff.
My oil check valve has been good so far. :)

looks like a game changer!

If I was rebuilding calipers MLB I would 100% go for the speed bleeders - I hate bleeding brakes and that makes it look dead easy.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, typ200 isn't much better than standard stuff ime. Rbf would last a couple of track days and srf will last a season of racing with only about 50ml taken out the calipers which made no difference

Well at least that's going on the list for when the calipers get back👍

You have the Goodridge speed bleeders and they are leaking?

Standard valves are leaking, looks like marring on the surface where the bleed valve sits in the caliper. Goodridge speed bleeder still need tightening in the caliper. But they do look good as well I have to admit, super easy and if upgraded fluid means less bleeding they would be a good alternative.

Have you used the Goodridge ones?

looks like a game changer!

If I was rebuilding calipers MLB I would 100% go for the speed bleeders - I hate bleeding brakes and that makes it look dead easy.

That's the oil drain valve, nearly bought that but think it would stick out too much from the oil sump.

Same for the speed bleeder, seem to be a good bit of kit and make bleeding brakes dead easy, but I'm afraid it'll stick out a bit too much?

Better fluid and the Goodridge ones might be an even better option.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Well at least that's going on the list for when the calipers get back👍

Standard valves are leaking, looks like marring on the surface where the bleed valve sits in the caliper. Goodridge speed bleeder still need tightening in the caliper. But they do look good as well I have to admit, super easy and if upgraded fluid means less bleeding they would be a good alternative.

That's the oil drain valve, nearly bought that but think it would stick out too much from the oil sump.

Same for the speed bleeder, seem to be a good bit of kit and make bleeding brakes dead easy, but I'm afraid it'll stick out a bit too much?

Maybe, I think some people fit sump oil temp senders which stick out quite a long way so its probably ok?

The goodeidge nipples are half the price too, my only concern would be air getting up the threads while you are bleeding the brakes while the Stahlbus ones solve that issue nicely. Are you on 15" wheels?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Not yet, having the calipers machined for PMS brackets as part of the refurb and looking at 15" wheels for track. Does mean I can't test fit..

I've read some reviews and they did mention air getting in through the threads which should be avoided by a special coating on the threads which will need to be reapplied regularly. Someone suggested they Teflon taped them all 🙄

Anyone know what thread length the 197 Brembo bleed nipples are?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Yea I have the Goodridge ones and they seem to work well. Same size as a stock nipple so you're not worried about them catching.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
And they don't leak around the threads while bleeding I assume? What fluid do you use? For track as well?

I'll have the calipers back next week and will measure how much clearance I've got. Demon Tweeks came back with 30-35mm out of the caliper.

According to stahlbus Clio 197 calipers need m10x1 20mm valves, but they also say that's for TRW calipers, they are Brembo made aren't they?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

(Apologies for the slight off topic)

Rob,

I run a full PMS sump guard that I still had to modify to house the drain plug. I wouldn’t fancy running one without a guard covering it.
FF6CC35C-42BA-4E7C-91F9-F99D8AE026D1.jpeg
7DA0EE64-FCCB-4F53-9635-43C96637A8F7.jpeg
363305BD-E54A-4EBC-B2B3-442471EC9CCB.jpeg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at the scratches on your sump guard I wouldn't either 😂

Mine bring as low as it is I'd be afraid of it dropping its oil every drive..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I live in an area where I drive a lot of undulating lanes every day. So a sump guard was always up there as an addition to when I lowered it. Same reason I removed my genuine cup splitter… it was only a matter of time. 😅

406 V6, Race Buggy
Someone suggested they Teflon taped them all 🙄

I teflon all my bleed nipples when I refurb calipers tbh, makes bleeding way easier. Never used the speedbleeders though as I vacuum bleed everything anyway - I just fit the 2-piece wilwood valves to everything and anything that has damaged seats.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve since had some alloy pucks turned up and welded onto my sump guard to shim it down about another 10mm. This gives a nice layer of protection that I’m sure will be fine for road use. I wouldn’t run the plug valve for stage rally use.