ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

standard clio 182 revlimiter ?!

clio 182 :)
Hey all ive searched the forums looking for the standard rev limiter on a clio 182, i have found that it should be around 7250 and 6800 if cold, i drove my new clio hard for around the 2nd time since ive had it (only picked it up last weekend) and noticed it wasn't even touching the 7k mark b4 limiting and its definitely not cold ide never do that to an engine always make sure its at the half way marker where it sits all day happily , it looks to be going to about 6500/6800 mark and shift light coming on and revs bouncing any help would be much appreciated

thanks kieran.

Clio 182
How long have you been driving it before you're driving it hard?

the temp indicator will tell you that the engine is up to temp but it could still be 5-10 mins before the engine is warm enough for the map to switch over to the 7k+ rev limit.

If you're only doing short trips of a few miles it won't be getting up to temperature at all.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
That temp gauge is for the water.. not the oil. Oil takes longer than water to heat up.

Anyways iirc you got it right thw first post. 7250 hot or 6800 cold.

i drove it about 20 miles sat at 50-60 country lanes to my friends work picked him up went to give it some on the way home and just noticed it wasnt going through to the 7k mark, and temp indicator where's that when its at home haha sorry ive only had it a couple of days, the needle was at half way and never seems to go above that.

cheers :)

ah right that cleared that up, but its not like i have been on a short ride surely the oil should be hot after 20 miles of roads with tight bends accelerating to 60 from 30 zones

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I think i remember hearing about a broken/faulty thermostat causing a lower rev limiter?

Try a search and see what comes up

finally got it revving right over to the 7k mark after driving around most of the evening with a few friends thermostat or temp sensor could be on its way out i suppose it dose seem odd that it takes a hell of a long time to get it hot enough to let the map switch over, could do with an oil temp gauge really

cheers for the help guys kieran. :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Change the thermostat, it should click in quicker then, the dash moves to the centre a few degrees below the switchover point so it looks like its hot enough when it isnt.

Ours took AGES to get upto temp before I changed the thermostat.

Even with a new thermostat its still a good couple of minutes at least, but FAR better than it was.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
3 ten mm bolts to remove, really easy, but make sure you bleed the system when you put it back together

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Reckon mine was like this too tbh, rev limit cut in about 6800 ALL the time...
Done rstuner 98 Ron map and now it's revs out past 7k, tbh I change at 7k or ever so slightly over out of choice anyway, wouldn't want to hit the new limit of (if I've been told correctly) 7600rpm!