ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard discs and pads for the track?

Couldn't really find a definitive answer from a search so I'll ask. Car has just had new discs and pads all-round and I'll change the fluid to ATE superblue (now not blue), will this set up be ok on standard tyres (Pirelli P-ZERO's) on track? My plan is to burn the brakes and tyres up at Oulton on the 20th of Feb then fit uprated discs and pads with R compound tyres for the next day in May.

It will be sufficient but it won't be great. All depends on your driving style, how hard and late you brake, how you cool the car down, how long you let it cool, how hot the temperature on the day is etc.

You could probably cook them quite easily if you are braking hard and late. Just keep the sessions shorts and cool down properly.

It will be sufficient but it won't be great. All depends on your driving style, how hard and late you brake, how you cool the car down, how long you let it cool, how hot the temperature on the day is etc.

You could probably cook them quite easily if you are braking hard and late. Just keep the sessions shorts and cool down properly.
Cheers, you reckon a set of M1155 front pads will be good for some punishment? As I do like to brake hard and late (who doesn't on track) and don't really want to be cooling every other lap as its only a Novice and 20 minute sessions.

I've never tried them personally mate so I couldn't tell you.

I used standard brakes on my first ever track day and they weren't too bad. But they did over heat after a couple of laps.

If you've just had new discs and pads put on you could just get some decent track pads, and whack them in for the track day, then change them back out to the new pads for the road again.

Its a track only car mate, will give some front 1155's a go for now. Love your build thread by the way, exactly how I want mine. You ever done Oulton Park in it?

Its a track only car mate, will give some front 1155's a go for now. Love your build thread by the way, exactly how I want mine. You ever done Oulton Park in it?

Oh are you saying theres 1155s in there now, or that's what you want to put it?
I had read the post as you have just had standard pads put in....

If it's a track only car then try CL RC6 (if you haven't already bought track pads). I've just fitted them in mine :)

I've not done Oulton though no. I would like to. It's just a bit of a journey from me to be feasible when I have Brands 20 mins away..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Oh and ive also used hc brembo discs and euro car part pads (£19) on track too. They were suprisingly spot on.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh and ive also used hc brembo discs and euro car part pads (£19) on track too. They were suprisingly spot on.
I used been I discs and (after the ds2500's fell apart after 2 laps) then some £25 halfords own brand pads. Even With two drivers, they lasted all day absolutely fine!

It does make you wonder what we waste our money on...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ive not seen him for a while tbh. Ive seen Carl (bloke) a few times recently who is mates with him too and as far as i know he's doing okay.

Arctic Blue FF 182
I did Snetterton on Sunday with standard Pagid pads and discs all round. I'm pretty hard on my brakes and could do a handful of laps before I had to back off for a couple of laps to let them cool down.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I think it depends on the circuit you're on too, like my local Oulton for example, two of the braking points are on fast downhill sections. So even off throttle you're not slowing as much as you would on a level section. I could be wrong though.

6 MPS looks capable, any mods done to it?
Mods in description on video mate but running around 300hp/300ft/lbs with yellowstuff pads on standard discs and R888's. Best time on that day was a 2:12 but kept getting held up then it pissed down, defo capable of a sub 2:10 which isn't bad for a 1700kg tank on marshmallow suspension. I'm hoping the Clio can get at least a 2:12 on the 20th...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I used been I discs and (after the ds2500's fell apart after 2 laps) then some £25 halfords own brand pads. Even With two drivers, they lasted all day absolutely fine!

It does make you wonder what we waste our money on...
One of those drivers never brakes though..

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I'm doing my first track day at Donington on the 19th November. Is it worth changing my pads to something more track based? I'm currently using Brembo HC Disc and Brembo OE pads, which were fitted about 3 months ago (approx 4k road miles). Also got braided hoses at the front and good quality fluid (can't remember the brand but it's normally recommended on here), which was changed within the last year i believe.

I was considering either DS2500 or CL5+, car is also my daily, so i'll be trying to keep out of trouble, but if i switch the pads over i'd most likely keep them in for road use too, so main concerns really were initial braking performance when cold. I keep reading more and more contradicting information as to whether they are worse or equal or even better than standard pads when cold.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Depends on driving style, but I'd get track pads and just swap between them and your road pads. I have Pagid OEM pads and after one lap of the ring they were cooked

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Well i'm torn between just picking up another set of Brembo's as spares in case i need another set. At least if i do need to change pads, I'll know i need to manage my braking a little better, and keep an eye on them so that i know i can get home.

Another part of me is say why cheap out on something like brakes, I know i'll probably end up doing more track days, and i'll not have to worry about them on the day if i get some track pads.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Imo swapping between track pads and normal pads assuming using the same discs would've be my go to combo, happy to proved wrong.

Are your brakes good at the moment?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Yeah brakes are perfectly fine, had all new pads and disc about 3 months ago front and back. Braided line and new fluid within the last year too.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Have you done days before? Apologies if you say you have.

Is just get a decent pad that's good on the road and better on track.

I've used 1155 mintex and rc5+, both of which were great.

Personally if it's your first time I would leave it as it is and do the track day. That way you can see what areas need improving on.

I did oulton last year on oem pagid and they Cooke really easily. No buggy just had to take it easy on the brakes.

Just did oulton again on Saturday using brembo HP performance pads. No issues overheating at all. Perfectly fine for the road too. Also used ds2500's in the past and they were fantastic when warmed up on track and no issues on the road.

PH2 172
Yeah brakes are perfectly fine, had all new pads and disc about 3 months ago front and back. Braided line and new fluid within the last year too.
Even after several months of road use,the £21 Brembo`s will cook within 3 or 4 laps of track use.This is evident by a rancid acrid burning smell entering the cabin.
This is quite normal for organic pads.
When you reach this state of affairs,cruise back to the paddock & allow the brakes to cool for 10-15 minutes,leave the car in gear & don`t apply the handbrake.
After that,job done & you can hammer them all you like.
Anyone who says they trashed a set in 10 laps has not observed this procedure.
I got 16k out my last set including 8 track hours,with 3mm of pad material to spare.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Experimented this morning on the way to work. Last few miles is all NSL country lanes, so kept speeding up and braking to try and simulate what might happen on the track.
Noticed the horrid smell when i pulled up to work, but didn't have any noticable brake fade. The pads were smoking quite a bit though, i was a little worried at first to be honest.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh mate. Doing what you tried plays no relevance to on track really.

Speed will be much greater than that on the road, I hope ;)

As above. You normally spend 10-20 minutes on track at a time. So that's a lot of heavy breaking from say high 4th gear to 2nd gear.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Speeds will be higher and therefore pressure, but I'll not be braking from say 100+mph to nothing, it'll mostly be dropping 30-60 mph into corners at Donington I reckon. I think there is only one point that'll be braking really heavy and that'll be at the end of the back straight.

I'm going to review finances once i've been paid at the end of the month and decide what route i'm going to take. I'll pick up a cheap set of Brembo's as back up if funds aren't there and just see how things go. Obviously being sensible with how long I stop out and keeping a close eye on the brakes all day, as for 1 i wouldn't want to smash up the clio through brake failure and 2 I'd hate to ruin someone elses car and day.

Hopefully funds will be there and i'll pick up something better.

Last edited: