ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor on its last legs?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Visited the parents yesterday and stopped at a shopping centre on the way over.

The car had been fine, but when we returned from the shops, the 182 wouldn’t start at all. No clicks, could hear the fuel pump engage but zero attempt to fire when the key was fully turned.

Did the quick self test for codes - nothing came up. Locked the car and unlocked it to see if it may have been alarm/immobiliser related - that seemed fine. Then left the car in 1st, took the handbrake off and rocked it forward and backward slightly.

Got back in the car and it fired straight up - making me think that the starter had locked. This is the first time it’s ever done this - and I’m assuming it won’t be the last. As the starter is the original item and knocking on 15-years-old, is it safe to say that it’s days might be numbered?

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
I think it will turn over even with an immobiliser issue. Just won't add fuel so you can eleminate that. Maybe a broken earth? Try all the earth points, gearbox end engine end ( near thermostat), behind the nearside headlight. Think that's it

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
Just had a thought, best way to check if it's earth is grab yourself some wire or jumper cables. One end on negative side of battery and other end on something metal on the engine block and then try starting it up

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I had this exact same problem. Turn the key and absolutely nothing, give it a bump start and it would fire right up. Leave it five minutes it would fire straight up. All intermittent issues where the starter just wouldn't fire on the key. Funniest one was getting pushed by a mates saxo as no one wanted to push by hand (back bumper was already due for replacement with spare in the shed)

New starter motor 18 months ago and that's all but long forgotten