ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stealthy V6

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice mad scientist idea! Surprised no one has put an F4R in the front of one of these V6 Clios ;) Twin Engine Clio <3

Rubbish idea TBH, would just be adding a load of extra weight to make the handling even worse, not to mention two disconnected drivelines each with their own power delivery would make it even more rubbish for handling

Twin engines cars like that just dont ever work well IME, far better to just add more power to the rear engine, plus then you have the front to put the petrol tank and things like that, not to mention charge cooler rads etc.

RS172 Flamer
Rubbish idea TBH, would just be adding a load of extra weight to make the handling even worse, not to mention two disconnected drivelines each with their own power delivery would make it even more rubbish for handling

It was just a crazy idea and a project like that would be more of a Drag/Show car rather than for handling :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
I'm using a 6 speed non quattro 01E transaxle. 034 in the states are running 1200hp through one. At the moment, I'm not really hunting for big numbers and 0-60 times etc. I've done that before and it didn't make for a fun car or ownership. The whole goal is to make the car a bit more of a weapon in the corners. The added bonus of fitting the Audi bi turbo v6 is a couple of hundred more hp is easily availably before stripping it down. 350hp in a vee is enough. It'll see 60 in 4.5 seconds and be enough to excite most people on track. I for one think they are a right hoot on track as standard and don't really need modifying. I'm just going the next stage.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Fuel tank will stay in its original position between the driver and engine luckily. No body mods needed luckily.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fuel tank will stay in its original position between the driver and engine luckily. No body mods needed luckily.

Thats a real bonus then, although im sure the project will still be an involved one.

Those 01e boxes are mentally strong and will also put the engine weight in a great position, good choice :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Thats a real bonus then, although im sure the project will still be an involved one.

Those 01e boxes are mentally strong and will also put the engine weight in a great position, good choice :)

If my measurements and drawings are all correct then its should turn out to be a very simple install. The only one off parts will be the driveshafts, engine mounts, gearbox mount and usual exhaust setups. Gear selector arms and cables are all off the shelf. Furtunatly designed and tested by gt40 kit car enthusiastsin the states. This means I'm pretty much guaranteed a nice, positive gear change.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Gearchange is such a big issue, I literally spent about 18 months (not full time, just mutliple attempts over that time frame) of keep trying different linkages I made to get a calibra turbo 6 speed gearbox working well in mid engined layout but because of where the shifter was on the box itself I was never really happy with it.
In the end I just fitted a VX220 box and linkage instead, perfect first time then!

Vee

Mk2 V6 #007
Answers the question perfectly as to how to get a high powered v6 - change the engine.

That opens up a whole new can of worms though...

Best of luck anyway :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Its easy power but I still reckon the old engine has as much to offer once a turbo/s have been fitted. Its always been the gearbox that held it back in my opinion. Eventually I will revert back to the reno lump I'm sure as I'm sure gunna miss the sound of it.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Well the gearbox has just had a good going over and seems to be in great condition. As a matter of course I've had the output bearings replaced so I don't need to worry at abusing it. Unfortunatly I was planning on fitting a Porsche 968 lsd but couldn't find a good one in time. I'll have to make do with an open diff for now but dropping the gearbox out will be dead easy so a later change won't be too much trouble.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Quick small update before the car goes into the shop next week.

This is the box as I bought it a few months back. Following a good going over, it was time to clean it up good and proper. It was probably clean enough to stick straight in to most, well used engine bays but I have the option of having it on show should I want to cut the centre bar out of the bumper again. Not only that but I'm sure a few people may try and take a good butcher under the car to see how I've mounted the engine and 'box in the way I am. Anyway, after a bit of elbow grease, its now ready to face the music and 600hp should I wish to throw that much at it.

Next job, ENGINE!.......

Will it fit!?

image_zps5f5316ee.jpg

Place your bets now!

This was the first time both engine and gearbox were mated to one another. Was very relieved to find that the VW Passat 'box fits perfectly to the S4 lump. It's just a case of getting the engine detailed where needed and adding a few new parts before fitment. Have signed up to a very good Audi forum which offers heaps of great info along with great build threads. Have tracked down an ecu to get it turning over and now I am seriously looking into K04 or RS6 turbo's. Turns out as they are so cheap to get hold of! With a simple injector upgrade 500hp upwards is very very easy to reach with the later setup. Purely because they flow so much more air at lower boost levels. Would be around 450 with K04's.

Ph1 172.
This car will absolutely insane when it is all done. I wish I had the the money, knowledge and time for such a project. Really looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Wow how did I miss this before.

What a legend you are sir.

Fantastic project and truly a one off.

Amazing engineering and just balls for doing it- legend! Can't wait to see it

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Thanks guys. Although it hasn't been done before it really is all very simple stuff. Its just a case of sorting one problem at a time.

S4 Avant
Good to hear you're sticking with the bi-turbo setup. Much easier and more cost effective to get power from.

Engines are quite happy to take 400+bhp, and sound amazing revving out to 7,000rpm!

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Call me half empty, but surley with all that power and such a short wheel base - it'll be a facking handfull?

This is true but like I always say, the car only has as much power as your right foot allows. It will with out doubt have more than enough power but the main aim was always to get the weight distribution much better than any transverse engine setup will allow. Fingers crossed it'll be a balanced chassis.

S4 Avant
Take it you're using the front drive shafts to power the rear wheels, and leaving the prop shaft out of the equation?

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Take it you're using the front drive shafts to power the rear wheels, and leaving the prop shaft out of the equation?

In a way yes but there was no rear prop to begin with. The gearbox I'm using is a fwd 01E which is very similar to the Quattro but has no Torsen center diff. Welding/locking that up turns out to be a weakness after a while so I hunted down a VW Passat high torque version. Hopefully this should prove very reliable.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Before...
image_zps679492bd.jpg

During...

image_zps8934dd74.jpg

After...

image_zps6f7ab681.jpg

Time for a little Audi gearbox.....

First of all, we hauled the 01e gearbox into the car so we could see whats what. It was then a case of making decisions of what needs what doing to get the the transaxle as far back as possible. Initial signs were great and the gearbox very nearly fit with zero body modifications. However, the main casing is 10mm too tall to fit the whole way back. This meant I had to cut a section out below the boot latch which seems to add little or no strength to the back end as there are a few 2x2 box sections going from left to right. Yes these pictures look drastic but it'll all be tidied once the paintwork is done.

image_zps41f10050.jpg

Out came the tools...

image_zps9fdd9820.jpg

After the dreaded no return point. Bingo! It fits perfectly.

image_zps5b67708f.jpg

image_zpsc860950d.jpg

Hmmmmm......engine soon

Cro

Meg'd r27
Absolutely fair play! With the price of these things rising it's a ballsy move... I like your style :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Absolutely fair play! With the price of these things rising it's a ballsy move... I like your style :)

Yeah must admit its been abit of a calculated risk. However, I bought the car a few years back to enjoy and drive. Turns out I've probably rebuilt most parts on it so I can't see me getting rid of soon. It wont be audi powered forever and im 100% sure it will be refitted with a renault engine at some point. Besides, I've got a mk1 Mini which is my investment toy.