ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steel Wheels For A 172 Track Car?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hey,

My slightly battered and bruised 172 cup is going to become my track car. But it is going to be on a budget. Want some 15" wheels to save money on tyres so have been looking at some steel wheels on the bay.

Just wanted some educated responses with regards to if this is a good idea and also a little advise on if I will have issues fitting them? For example I have seen a set of 2000 scenic 15" wheels. However with all the steel wheels that are available I am worried about the offset and fitting them, will i need spacers?

Thanks,
Will

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
A lighter car and lower power can get away with it as its not requiring so much heat energy to be dissipated. Our 205 rallye track car used steel wheels due to the weight of larger alloys upsetting the handling.
That car weighed 750kg with a driver and had about £4k of suspension and tyres and only 75bhp meaning it didnt require you to use the brakes that much :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Jon_r is selling exactly what it sounds like you want, a set of 15" dynamic wheels, with or without tyres. If you become a full member you'll be able to see the FS section.

Last edited:
  DCi 100
You'd be a fool not to buy some ruin-a-care-free 100 quid set of 15's alloys knocking about.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Yeah, I will renew my membership, I completely forgot I hadn't done it.

Thanks for the input on the steel wheels, I should have seen that tbh. I will just have a good look round on ebay for some cheap alloys instead.

Anyone got any other words of advise with regards to a track car. It is on a budget and the only upgrades initially will be braided hoses, 15" wheels and tyres (it needs a new set of tyres anyway so may as well do it now) and strip some of the interior. Then get out on track and enjoy it. If I break or decide I really need something then I will upgrade. I have no plans to increase the cars power.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Braided lines wont do a lot unless the standard ones are worn out, so plan that around a brake fluid change. Other than that just go out and have fun.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Braided lines wont do a lot unless the standard ones are worn out, so plan that around a brake fluid change. Other than that just go out and have fun.

I plan on doing a fluid change while I am getting the car ready so I will fit them while I am at it. The plan is to have as much fun as possible, but I don't wanna make the effort only to have a rubbish day because there is an obvious change or upgrade Ishould have made before going.

Stripped yozza'd cup
New pads and some brake ducting would be the only things that I would worry about immediately.

Also, buy the lightest wheels you can, some of the cheap s**t weighs a tonne. Team dynamics PR 1.2's are pretty light and can be had for good money.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'd prioritise a brake fluid change if you've not had it done in the last 30k miles or so. It's a weak link, and could ruin the day no matter how new your pads/discs are.

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
If you are on a budget, use 2nd hand tyres with about 3mm of tread on them. Brake fluid change is good advice. Oil and filter change, and take oil and water with you. cars get hot, and you might end up using some of each. Check your wheel nuts after every session. If you can, get tuition at the beginning of the day, to help you get the most out of the track. They normally know it like the back of their hand. Drive at a speed you feel comfortable with, and within your limits. I share the driving with my mate who I own the car with. We help and encourage eachother, and it helps when they can see your mistakes and vice versa. It is the most fun you can have legally, for £300, which if you share a car, is really £150 each