ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering feels weirdly loose?

172 Cup
Wonder if anyone could help,
i'm new to the site and am still learning the basics.

i have a 172 cup and the steering feels very loose and tends to feel looser as I begin to accelerate
it sometimes veers to one side

does anyone know what the problem could be? and also how would i go about getting this sorted?

thanks

(i'm not the most mecahnically minded)

What do you mean by loose?
Like the assistance is varying
There is play somewhere?

If the car isn't moving and you wiggle the wheel do the wheels move or is something broken / worn?

If your'e not mechanically minded but are keen to learn then I'd say there's not harm in getting busy. learn to check over the condition of the steering and suspension, its pretty straightforward if you have axle stands and don't mind getting down on your back.

First thing to check is for free-play in the balljoints (lower arm and track rods) any play here is a fault. Bushes can also be worn but unless your used to how stiff they should be (stiff) then its harder to say on a forum. Bushes to check are the lower arms (x2 per side), anti roll bar (x4) and the steering rack (x2, should be almost "solid"). The steering rack itself can wear, as can the column u/j's. Then there is the condition of the struts themselves - the top mounts on the suspension struts can become worn/soft to the point of causing issues and of course the damping (the "shocks") can be worn out.

And thats just the front end! Rear "shocks" are prone to failing prematurely (tend to leak oil). Good thing you can get them fairly cheap (though don't buy non-genuine if you bought the car for its driving characteristics). But on the rear that is pretty much all that causes issue... oh, except the rear bearings can be shot (often due to impropper fitment of rear brakes)

Other things... Snapped spring? (ride height would be noticeable) - Tracking? (often overlooked when buying a new car, and always get a printout of a "full 4-wheel alignmement" so that if there is an issue you can post it up here and you will get useful advice) - tyres? (if worn unevenly then that points to a history of worn out balljoints and/or poor tracking, but the worn tyres can still cause issues even if the defects have been corrected).

Phew! Basically, its complicated. But hope that helps get you looking in the right direction. And I've probably missed a few things as well!

From experience, its probably lower arm ball joint(s) or track rod end(s) :smile:

Last edited:
  172 Cup
jeez, you're mechanically minded then haha!
i'll check those things first.
really appreciate the help Kev thanks!