ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering play ph1 172 help pls...

Vw caddy tdi
Basically had mot today car went thru fine just advisory rear shocks which had I expected. Being on a four post ramp at friendly garage the car was given the once over. From the way it drives thought I possibly had worn ball joint(s), top mount(s), steering uj or combination of all 3. On closer all of the above didnt seem badly worn but on closer inspection when holding the bar that connects the track rod ends to the rack a knockin and play can be felt!! Im told I need a new rack is this true?? any ideas what they cost or how big a job this would be? Does any one have any experience in this area cos a rack sounds expensive but I would like to rectify the steering play issues , b4 today I was going to replace shocks x4 + all top mounts and both lower arms complete with ball joints in the hope that would freshen it up a bit and solve the sometimes vague steering feel but now unsure what to do next....:S

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
On a car your age you prob should change all the shock now anyway so get that done. Any joints and buses that have play in them, get them replaced. Once you have done this test drive and see if it solves your problem, if not go for the new rack, thats how i'd work it.