ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Rack Width?

172 Cup
Bonjour!

Possibly a long shot, but does anybody have (or is able to measure) the width of a 172 Cup* steering rack? That would be the distance between the inner tie rod ball joint centres.

Fingers crossed somebody has a rack and a tape measure in front of them.. you never know. :tonguewink:

*Only has to be a cup if the rack widths are different.

172 Cup
If you could that would be perfect! I just need the measurement from one ball joint centre to the other, but if you could measure the linear travel lock to lock as well that would be a bonus. :smile:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If you could that would be perfect! I just need the measurement from one ball joint centre to the other, but if you could measure the linear travel lock to lock as well that would be a bonus. :smile:
I can't measure the ball joint centre to centre as I don't have the cup steering arms though mate. I'll try and get the other measurements tonight for you

172 Cup
Ah.. does it have any steering arms on it?

If it does have some on and the Cup ones are different at the inner BJ's then I'll still be interested to know.. maybe I can work something out by looking at my arms, I'm just trying to avoid taking my rack off as it's a PITA job!

It's just the inner BJ's I'm worried about. :smile:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ah.. does it have any steering arms on it?

If it does have some on and the Cup ones are different at the inner BJ's then I'll still be interested to know.. maybe I can work something out by looking at my arms, I'm just trying to avoid taking my rack off as it's a PITA job!

It's just the inner BJ's I'm worried about. :smile:
It's in a completely stripped down state fella! Lol! The steering arms are off, the casings separate and the main steering shaft is out! Lol

172 Cup
Ok that's actually not that much of a problem.. If you can measure the width of the rack gear then I can work out where the BJ's are in relation to that by looking at mine. :D

172 Cup
Awesome, really appreciate the help! :smile:

One more thing.. could you measure the rack travel lock-lock? I guess measuring from the end you did earlier to the end of the rack body on full lock, then turn to opposite lock and measure again would be the best way.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Awesome, really appreciate the help! :smile:

One more thing.. could you measure the rack travel lock-lock? I guess measuring from the end you did earlier to the end of the rack body on full lock, then turn to opposite lock and measure again would be the best way.
No problem at all mate.

I'll have a measure up later on for you buddy.

172 Cup
1215mm sounds like a lot.. the wishbone inner pivots are ~650mm apart and the inner track rod BJ's are definitely inboard of them!

@NorthloopCup - No problem! The travel isn't so urgent, so just do it whenever you can. :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You're such an elusive b**ch :tonguewink:

Come on...... How much work can you actually do to a rack without a new rack and pinion? Painting and stroking don't count.
Flol! I'm filling it full of unicorn semen. It's apparently good for reducing friction and works better than Teflon. Not sure on the texture though - it's a bit gloopy. :tongueclosed:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
1215mm sounds like a lot.. the wishbone inner pivots are ~650mm apart and the inner track rod BJ's are definitely inboard of them!
It's not when you consider the track is 1436mm on a cup so that gives you 4.5" each side from the ball joint to the outside of the wheel which shouldn't be far off.