ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack

can be done in a couple hours given the right tools. id recommend a liberal dose of spray de-seizing product (whatever it is called in english) on all hydraulic connectors for a couple days before. sometimes the connectors are really hard to undo.

why are u changing the steering rack? if the reason is a sloppy steering, save the money and weld the rubber joint in the steering column.

gm

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 20 February 2004
How much of a pain are these to fit ? Haynes doesnt cover it !!

i went to have my tracking done and he said the rack was crap !! theres a bit of play !! Whats this welding lark ? That what Kingstromba did ?

You sure it is the rack and not the base of the steering column? I was told I needed a new rack, and I actually needed a new column. Have you had it thoroughly inspected by a good Renault mechanic?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

play is normally caused by the steering column(uj) or track control arms on the rack that can be separatly changed.

They the track rod ends ? theyre well easy to change !! Ill get a mechanic to look at it !! steering column sounds the better option !! fingers crossed !! Cheers all

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

track control arms bolt to the rack,the track rod ends screw onto the track arms,the track rod ends bolt to the hub.

arrrgghh gotcha now !! so hows the whole steering system work ? whats all this rack and pinion malarky !! Im trying to learn so i can do most of my own work on my car !!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the only thing missing off the above is the rotary valve movement is controlled by a torsion bar rod.this is so you get full pas when turning on the spot but less pas whilst driving because full pas whilst driving would be dangerous.the torsion bar rod flexes more when the wheels are harder to turn(eg-on the spot) so allows the rotary valve to turn more so allowing more fluid/pressure down to the rack piston giving you more pas assistance.the torsion bar rod is placed in between the column and the rotary valve.it is inside the valve assembly in the steering rack.

Sorry to bring this up again. I have had a look at mine and where the column goes into the lower uj there is loads of play. If I get this welded what are the issues? As far as I can see the UJ either side take care of the axial and angular misalignment so only risk is welding it short/long, which shouldnt happen.

Surely Renault must have done it like this for a reason or is it just that a press fit is dead cheap to do? Or is this the telescopic bit in case you crash, in which case Im less keen to get it done?

Plus if anyone has had it done did you just spot weld it in the car or did you take the column out? Cheers,

John

Quote: Originally posted by Dno194 on 20 February 2004

Have you had it thoroughly inspected by a good Renault mechanic?ck
LMAO! I wouldnt put too much faith in what they say - i coughed up for a new rack on their say so but it was actually the column (which i had suspected it was most likely to be going by what people say on here said beforehand). Just my experience but itll always depend on the garage and if they know their clio stuff.....

Erm...a few people have had the joint welded which will always be far cheaper and will not have any bad side effects other than the weld (possibly) breaking and the sloppieness coming back. Out of preference i would have the column replaced with a new or low milage used one as i have to think the rubber is there to serve a purpose. Im not saying welding is wrong but its unlikely Renault would build in an obvious design flaw into their number one hot hatch at the time.....

I should imagine the column would need to come out to be welded as its a small space....

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the rubber is probably there to reduce road vibration felt through the steering wheel and is probably designed to shear off to protect the driver in the event of an accident.quite a few people on here have had theirs welded up and theyve never posted about any complaints.

totally agree. regarding the fact the crappy joint has been retained in the hot clio versions is probably due to the cost and complications of redoing crash test certification. rarely manufacturers change anything in the chassis-steering system-engine attachments once certified.

i have never seen any other car with a rubber joint in the steering column.

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 22 February 2004
the rubber is probably there to reduce road vibration felt through the steering wheel and is probably designed to shear off to protect the driver in the event of an accident.quite a few people on here have had theirs welded up and theyve never posted about any complaints.