ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel falling to bits

Clio 182
Hi

I have a 2004 (04) clio 182 with 35,000 miles on clock. I know a few people on here have had this issue but the steering wheel has started to fall to bits. The leather has become all rough and looks melted and the right thumb grip has split and is becoming really bad.

Anyway I have been on the phone to Renault customer services about this. The first guy i spoke to said he would put up a case for me and said chances are Renault may replace my wheel out of goodwill and someone would get back to me. The car is 1 year out of warranty. On Friday someone did phone me but she said this is a wear and tear issue and that it would not be covered by them. She did offer me £50 compensation for my inconveniance.

I've not accepted the money, as I dont agree this is wear and tear. This shouldn't happen to a 4 year old car. Anway on Wednesday Renault are going to ring me back to see if I would like to accept the £50 and i'm not sure what to do. Does anyone think I have a case here to fight and what would be best way to go about it or is it going to be a waste of time, should I just accept the £50?

Any advice would be appreciated guys, thanks.

David

£50 is a lot better than most have been offered. Some have managed to get a new steering wheel though.

I love the old classic 'wear & tear' line tbh, really they should say 'it''s not up to the standard it should be' but they don't wanna admit it !

I think i'm yet to see a mint wheel tbh, unless the cars a silly low miler or very new of course.

BMW F21 125d
Mine looks "melted" on the top, the thumb grips are in perfect condition, its almost like the top half of the wheel bcos its seen more of the sun than any other part, has reacted badly to it and almost blistered! Looks shite, and feels terrible. Mines a 53 Plate 172. I never thought of contacting Renault Customer Service.

Clio 172 mk2
The right hand side of my wheel is starting to look 'melted' but it's obviously something to do with where you hold the wheel most/wear.

Still unacceptable, just sub-standard materials really

Astra van,Mk1 nova
im yet to try and get something out of renault about my steering wheel;) melted at the top and i have a thumb grip missing!

182 has now gone!
Mine is an 04 182. The thumb grips are ok, just the right handside of the wheel. It melted and looks horrible. I may try customer services and see what they say. Worth a try....

C

Cupster

^^ lol

Same here, mention that you're a forum member on which with lots of others are facing the same 'wear and tear'!! I would happily back you up.

Mines a 53 on 31k. My "wear and tear" is directly in the line of the windscreen and side window, I normally hold the wheel at the bottom but strangely no wear there!!! hmmm!

clio trophy No56
I just tried last 2 weeks ago but yes you got it "Wear & Tear".
I seriously think reno need to review their service as in my world its crap, infact i wouldnt even call it service.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Focus on the level of complaints amongst this club, they have to listen eventually if the numbers warrant it...and if they want to see evidence of how bad the problem can get I'd gladly send my wheel to them for their review...

100_3063.jpg

100_3061.jpg

100_3059.jpg

someone needs to get a formal petition type list going with names and contact details etc...

mine's 3 1/2 years old and the right hand side is melting.

Clio 182
someone needs to get a formal petition type list going with names and contact details etc...

mine's 3 1/2 years old and the right hand side is melting.

Petition sounds like a good idea, anyone any good at setting one up?

205Gti,HondaCBR600RR
Why not get a thread stickied just for people to put their names, model and age of the car in?

My 182Cup wheel has finally started melting. It doesn't have the thumb grips, but the 'leather' is melting. My mates FF182 has also melted. Solution? Don't buy s**t cars anymore :D

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
Same happens here in Venezuela, they do say that if you put lotion/perfume/cologne it does affect the steering wheel materials...but most times they do replace it or offer you a new one at a horrible price...

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Mines a 05 FF182 and its melting at the top. Just hope my grips stay intact lol. Will be having a word with reno when i next go down.

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
Is it just the Renaultsports with rubber grips that do this? (my Cup has the bubbling appearing, the thumbgrips are ok though so far). Does the same thing happen with the 182 Cup (Dynamique wheel?) wheels?

If not I think I may either get one of those, or replace with a Momo but I worry about removing the airbag - one day I might need it and when I'm a toothless wonder I may regret ditching the airbag.

182cup & 172 racecar
Is it just the Renaultsports with rubber grips that do this? (my Cup has the bubbling appearing, the thumbgrips are ok though so far). Does the same thing happen with the 182 Cup (Dynamique wheel?) wheels?

If not I think I may either get one of those, or replace with a Momo but I worry about removing the airbag - one day I might need it and when I'm a toothless wonder I may regret ditching the airbag.
Yes it does,mine is a cup.

clio dynamique 1.2 16V
Mine to, its an 05 dynamique and when i bought it, it had less than 17500 miles on it and guess what steering wheel was 'melting' on right hand side.

The material must be so poor!

could be worse you could have a ph1 steering wheel!
My vees on 31k & the wheel is fine, i'd give it 9/10 (and that's being picky) I must be a one off.

A re-trimmed one came along, so I put that on the car instead, I still have my original mint wheel (not for sale though)

mine's also 'melted' but, honestly, some of you must be holding onto the thumbs grips as if you're giving birth or something!

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Two clio's an 05 182 on 31k and a 55 Trophy on 20k.

Both are 'melted' on rhs. Thumbgrips OK.

If anything the newer lower mileage Trophy is the worst.

Trophy still under warranty so may give it a go.

Got an address for custiomer service? I like to write stroppy letters people have to answer.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
could we get some petition started supported by the club?

i was going to go in and order a new one at HUGE expense to myself because my car is 100% mint otherwise

mine is melted and right hand thumb grip trashed!

Clio 182, Mercedes S320CD
Ive got an 04 Clio 182 and when it was on 40k started to melt at the top and I hold the wheel at the bottom. Obviously this is strange as other people have mensioned. However both rub grips were ripped so I decided to rip them out rather than sanding them and it looks a lot better because there is another grip underneath. My camera is not working at the moment or I would of taking a photo.

Oh and that picture above of the steering wheel melting is an absolute disgrace. Lets hope Watchdog help us!!!

Clio 182, Mercedes S320CD
All clio sports have the same problem with all the steering wheels.

Ive had 2 W reg 172's both steering wheels melting

Had a 172cup 2003 facelift. Rubber grips ripped

And my current 182 ripped and melted.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Mine (02 172) is a bit worse for wear at 85k, it's a shame really as my last car, bmw 320i had done double the miles nearly and the entire interior was pretty much mint.

I've thought about getting it re-trimmed, but feel reno should offer some assistance themselves for shoddy build materials/techniques.

Last edited:

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
If we could get Renault to cough up in some way, that would be great, but it's seriously making me considering going the steering wheel + seat + harnesses route. This is why -

Option A) Buy new wheel from Renault - Pricey, and will only go the same way as the old one eventually

Option B) Buy something like a Sparco - Cheaper, but you lose the airbag and I just think it's one of those things you will never forgive yourself for if you have an accident and mash your face up on the wheel. I had a load of cars that never had airbags, but once you've got one it seems like tempting fate to get rid of it (am I getting old???!)

Option C) Buy a Sparco, and recliners or buckets with harness holes, fit harnesses - Probably the most expensive, but you get a decent non-bubble-prone wheel, you might save some weight, better for the track in terms of being held in and you are pinned into the seat so tightly that it doesn't matter about the lack of airbag. Only problem is I need at least one seat in the back, hmmm....