ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Wheel Re Centreing. 04 Dynamique

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, I picked up a 2004 (MK 2 PH2) Dynamique as a run about today all is good except the steering wheel isn't quite straight. When driving in a straight line, its as if the steering wheel is at 5 past on a clock? Make sense? Not majorly off, but enough to annoy me!

Could be cause its been in a crash (I doubt it, doesn't look like it has and is HPI clear), or it could have been that steering wheel has been off at some point and not re alligned correctly.

Now Ive never removed a steering wheel in my life, Im guessing the steering wheel is bolted onto a Splined shaft? if thats the case, can I whip the wheel off, put it back on a few splines anti clockwise and all will be good? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

thanks

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hi, I picked up a 2004 (MK 2 PH2) Dynamique as a run about today all is good except the steering wheel isn't quite straight. When driving in a straight line, its as if the steering wheel is at 5 past on a clock? Make sense? Not majorly off, but enough to annoy me!

Could be cause its been in a crash (I doubt it, doesn't look like it has and is HPI clear), or it could have been that steering wheel has been off at some point and not re alligned correctly.

Now Ive never removed a steering wheel in my life, Im guessing the steering wheel is bolted onto a Splined shaft? if thats the case, can I whip the wheel off, put it back on a few splines anti clockwise and all will be good? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

thanks

The steering wheel has different sized splines on it so it's not possible to put it on out of alignment. It'll just be the tracking for sure. The minutest of changed in the suspension geo from hitting a pot hole could cause that. Has it had new track rod ends at any point as that's my guess.

Get it on a proper hunter alignment or give this a go http://www.elantragtclub.com/id554.html

It's very easy and how nascar do it and I've always had absolutely bang on tracking with the DIY method.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Nice one, saved me a job there!

Ill drop it to the people who set up my Type R For track, which I sold before it touched a track lmao.

Thanks pal!

LY FF182
Tracking was miles out, all sorted now :)

How was the camber? I set the tracking on mine about 5 times before I used a camber gauge and realised I had 0.8 one side and 1.3 the other. Went "ahhhh that's why it's not straight" haha

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@kpowell911 Good to hear :) A nice and easy fix

@Edges I'm 99% sure the camber isn't adjustable without camberbolts so something must be on the wonk or it's being measured on minutely off level ground. I've had odd camber readings before using a gauge but it was just the ground.