ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Wheels (Snappy Ones)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Sure was Bentley and now retired I believe iirc

Had three wheels done by him, all been flawless.

I don't rate royals work myself.

I agree with your last comment unfortunately.
Snappy for me wins ha da down and just looks far better quality

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Skoda Octavia VRS mk3 wheel done by the main man himself (I had the controls surround wrapped separately)

IMG_20210113_160001_312.jpg

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll hopefully be getting my OMP wheel done in the next few weeks. Was booked in early Feb but he’s postponed it twice now. Hopefully worth the wait.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I’ll hopefully be getting my OMP wheel done in the next few weeks. Was booked in early Feb but he’s postponed it twice now. Hopefully worth the wait.

Yeah think I had to wait 3 months for mine, same last time though so was sort of expected. Still worth it.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with your last comment unfortunately.
Snappy for me wins ha da down and just looks far better quality
Everyone seems to w**k Royal off something rotten but the amount of shite retrims I've seen from them is quite alarming. Never, ever seen a bad work said about Snappy and thr fact he has had some Royal wheels in recently to fix says it all.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
How much does a decent alcantara retrim set you back these days? Had an alcantara wheel in my GTI Clubsport and it was superb. Wanting to do similar to the RS6 wheel.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
How much does a decent alcantara retrim set you back these days? Had an alcantara wheel in my GTI Clubsport and it was superb. Wanting to do similar to the RS6 wheel.
Anywhere from £150 to £400 depending on the company, turn around time, material used and customisation.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Snappy's work does look really good but I had a royal wheel done in my RS alcantara and leather and could not fault it for under £150, the main draw was the exchange wheel if Snappy had that option I would have used him as the car could not be off the road while it was being done but he obviously does not need the work so no need to offer this.
This was mine after 40000 miles of use still looked like new
7.jpg

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Let’s start out by saying that I think Snappy is good at what he does and this is going to be a honest review.

I asked him to do something he doesn’t really do/hasn’t done before and that’s a OMP Racing steering wheel with some M colour tri stitching.

Timeline:
9/12/20 - booked steering wheel in for beginning of Feb ‘21
29/1/21 - two week delay by Snappy
12/2/21 - a further two week delay by Snappy
1/3/21 - Steering wheel arrives with him
27/3/21 - hasnt started on the steering wheel
11/4/21 - Finally started on the steering wheel
19/4/21 - Photo of finished steering wheel
21/4/21 - Received steering wheel with some (sub par quality of finish)
23/4/21 - Steering wheel sent back after a lengthy conversation about rectification which Snappy was really understanding.
13/5/21 - Steering wheel received with alterations as per original request in Dec ‘20.

Things to note; Snappy was professional in resolving the issues and always replied quite promptly to questions or me badgering him for an update.

The stitching quality is very good and I’m glad that he’s done tri colour stitching as that opens up further options for others on here that have moved to BMW’s

If I had known that my steering wheel would have taken over 5 months to get trimmed - I would have used someone else.

A couple photos of the process.

F4A120BE-4E0A-4F68-B441-C9ED098D9CE5.jpeg

M colour stitching
266E4D5B-C336-4214-95D3-41F50BFD3191.jpeg

The first attempt finish
4CE70963-2EFE-4F10-95AC-3B95463D2C16.jpeg

47FF139C-3339-4580-B34A-D7F26ED81713.jpeg

8AEAB41F-6925-45A8-BB8A-0F51ADE646C7.jpeg

TDC overlapped and as it’s a racing wheel the rear of the steering wheel is felt a lot through gloves - which didn’t feel great with the ripples.

F6C42151-0495-4B71-9871-03012076B1BD.jpeg

Comparing it with a brand new OMP 350mm steering wheel..

The finished article!

083A74C0-83CC-432A-B151-2BD74C1D5D73.jpeg

AFD141A5-781E-46F9-A8DF-3B7135D8CFEA.jpeg

B32D59F5-4204-4036-BA21-16EF5C854D54.jpeg

E12D0CDB-25A4-40FE-AD62-E248173C1101.jpeg

I am happy with the finished product. I understand that Snappy is a very busy person and a bit of a victim of his own success as I imagine he’s only got so many hours in a day.

Would I recommend him to others?
I think I would, but the timeframe wasn’t acceptable for me. I know other trimmers that would have had a week turnaround on this item but I wasn’t in a rush for the steering wheel back as I have two other wheels.

Clio RS200
Snappy's work does look really good but I had a royal wheel done in my RS alcantara and leather and could not fault it for under £150, the main draw was the exchange wheel if Snappy had that option I would have used him as the car could not be off the road while it was being done but he obviously does not need the work so no need to offer this.
This was mine after 40000 miles of use still looked like new
View attachment 1527827
Just wanted to say cheers for the post. I was resigning myself to months on Snappy's waitlist and being without a car, but following your review I went with Royal and I'm super pleased. Did the 'while-you-wait' service — £175 for smooth leather top/bot, Alcantara L/R, and job done in 30 minutes. The work is brilliant in my opinion for the money, and the convenience and service was faultless. Nice guys at Royal.

Attachments

• PXL_20220503_103858432.jpg
    PXL_20220503_103858432.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 138

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
I ended up using snappy, after messaging him he said he would take a month or so and I’m expecting it back in the next couple of days.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Just wanted to say cheers for the post. I was resigning myself to months on Snappy's waitlist and being without a car, but following your review I went with Royal and I'm super pleased. Did the 'while-you-wait' service — £175 for smooth leather top/bot, Alcantara L/R, and job done in 30 minutes. The work is brilliant in my opinion for the money, and the convenience and service was faultless. Nice guys at Royal.
That looks chunky, is it thicker than standard?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Don't like their stuff? I've seen a few in E46's and they looked decent to me.
Seen quite a few poor quality bits from them over the years but I guess it depends how fussy you are as he's still pretty cheap for a trim really in comparison to some of thr high end ones

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Seen quite a few poor quality bits from them over the years but I guess it depends how fussy you are as he's still pretty cheap for a trim really in comparison to some of thr high end ones
The chap (who's wheel I've seen) was was emphatic with them that he wanted the standard 'thickness/diameter' to be kept - I guess it forced them to strip the cover right off before retrimming - its in a CSL and the owner is pretty fussy!

Do you have any better recommendations? I want the wheel trimmed in my e46.

Clio RS200
That looks chunky, is it thicker than standard?
Good question. Feels pretty good in the hand, but I only had the original for a short time so couldn't judge perfectly. Here's the original — you might have a point!

Attachments

• PXL_20220331_152629114.jpg
    PXL_20220331_152629114.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 79

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
The chap (who's wheel I've seen) was was emphatic with them that he wanted the standard 'thickness/diameter' to be kept - I guess it forced them to strip the cover right off before retrimming - its in a CSL and the owner is pretty fussy!

Do you have any better recommendations? I want the wheel trimmed in my e46.
Snappy or LG personally.