ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wobble, increases with speed, violent at 50mph+

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I noticed a bit of a wobble throught the steering recently but haven't been above 40 for a while so didn't think much of it. I thought the lower gearbox mount was the culprit (have already changed the upper mount, dogbone and upper gearbox mount about 3 months ago). Anyway went on the motorway yesterday and it's ridiculous above 50mph, it feels like a side to side wobble through the wheel but it eases off when you stop accelerating. In the past 6 months the car has had 2 new wishbones, a new track rod end and wheel bearing (nearside), new top mount kit, new inner and outer ARB bushes. A few weeks ago it had new front discs and pads but this wobble has only been apparent recently. The front wheels have been on and off a few times since then and I've swapped the fronts to the back today and checked the tyre pressures are all correct (32fr/30r) with no change. I was going to have a look at the dogbone tomorrow, but could it be the shocks possibly? I remember going over some cobbles a few weeks ago and it seemed to be rattling about quite a lot and the ride in general seems worse than it used to be
over potholes, but generally ok (am running prolines and standard shocks). Any ideas?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Was hoping not to hear that, no clunking/knocking around corners though and sailed through the MOT last week.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
drive shafts, one of the vans at work had damaged drive shafts and it wobled the steering and car until going over 60mph. ( dont try that!!)

get it checked out for faulty drive shafts if im tbh

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I also had a similar issue which after many weeks of head scratching turned out to be a fubar'ed diff in the gearbox.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Hard to keep in a straight line, didn't feel safe for more than about 5 seconds at 65, entire car rattling by that point.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Well I popped the offside shaft off and opened up the inner CV joint. All the grease was grey/silver with swarf everywhere, here are the findings:

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg
Gouges and scoring

IMAG0142.jpg

And the actual cause.

IMAG0146.jpg