ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stiff brake pedal, brown trousers!

350z, Subaru Legacy
A few times over the last couple of days, I have gone to brake only to be greeted with a very stiff pedal and minimal braking!

I have found lifting off and re-applying pressure to the brake helps a bit(less stiffness, more braking). It's not doing it all the time, has done it while the brakes are both cold and hot...

Sticky calipers, bad fluid?

Not had issues with brakes before so any help appreciated!!!:S

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Jim,

I had a similar thing when i had the car and changed the vacuum valve at the bottom of the brake servo, although id be really surprised if thats gone again. The brake fluid in the car has had a hard life, might be worth while getting it changed, although id speak to fred about what to put in it, as i managed to boil ATE Super blue fluid so christ knows!

I reckon a new set of DS3000's and new fluid and it would be spot on again,. or slow down lol

BMW M135i
Hard pedal means no servo assistance so check everything servo related. Vacuum hoses and the one way valve etc. After that it could be the actual servo itself.

350z, Subaru Legacy
Cheers for the responses guys, saw your PM Dave cheers.
I wasn't even going that fast lol honest officer!

I remember you'd had trouble with a set of Bluestuffs before and Ferodos are what I'm used to so I was probably going to change the pads anyway.

How much are those valves, and where could I get hold of one?

Also, how might I diagnose if it is the servo etc. (not much of a mechanic:eek:)

Jim

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
the valves a re a pig to get, you cant buy it separately, only with a new servo which is mega bucks, and a very big job. speak to clio spares, or visit a scrap yard. anyone breaking any model of clio will have the valve so keep your eyes peeled mate.

Its probably the current set up thats caused the probs TBH

350z, Subaru Legacy
Are the valves/ servos the same across the Clio range? i.e will any of them do?

Dave when you say the current set up, do you mean how the vacuum pipe is connected to the inlet mani?

Cheers,

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
There's nothing g with the vacuum to inlet, it's either the valve or a fred says mate.

I'd listen to Fred first though, it's note a common fault and very unlikely to have happened twice

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I have had a few where the vacuum pipe has melted from the heat off the manifold, happens on MOTs when trying to get through cat tests. Might be worth a look, can sometimes be hard to spot as the pipe sorta implodes on itself - usaully just down from where it connects to the inlet.

350z, Subaru Legacy
Ok cheers, I'll check the pipe later in the week when I have a chance - try to see if it's anything obvious.

I have had a few where the vacuum pipe has melted from the heat off the manifold, happens on MOTs when trying to get through cat tests. Might be worth a look, can sometimes be hard to spot as the pipe sorta implodes on itself - usaully just down from where it connects to the inlet.
bit of a bump....

just had my car mot and this has happend to mine.just spotted the pipe imploding...

any ideas of how to sort this out.??or a part for it..

I managed to sort it out by joining some better hose.it will be a temp fix until I get a new part..... I must say it's a s**t place to put it...

Thank god for this forum.i would of been hunting for the problem for a while..

Attachments

• 20170418_151743.jpg
    20170418_151743.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 264
  • 20170418_151732.jpg
    20170418_151732.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 203