ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STOP and BATTERY lights

2 days ago my 172 cup started being a bit weird

On tick over the stop and battery lights come on - but as soon as you rev above 1k rpm they go out

They stay out all the time your driving but as soon as you stop at lights and it drops below 1k on tick over they come back on again

If I put the headlights on they're on all the time

I THINK this means that the alternator isn't kicking out enough power - so when its turning slowly (tick over) it flags an error on the dashboard

And obviously when the lights are on it's just too much drain for it

The battery seems ok (little green eye on it is fine lol)

Is there anything I should check before looking for a new alternator?
The belt/alternator make a whining noise on tick over as well and occasionally there's a bit of a burning smell
I wondered if the belt was too loose - but it seems fine

Iceberg Ph1
If you have or can get hold of a Voltmeter stick it on your pos and neg battery terminals and turn the car over, it should read circa 14v, this means your alternator is working fine, if it is not then your alternator is buggered, by the sounds of it though, this seems to be your issue..

Also check the battery without the engine running and see if it reads near to 12v, it maybe a worn battery

Will do - got a voltmeter at home

My gut instinct is it's not doing 14v without spinning quickly
So I suspect I need a new alternator

Wonder how much that's gonna cost me :(