ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

STOP and oil warning lights, but oil level fine.

182FF with cup packs
Twice this week, shortly after starting up for the first time in the day, after I've been driving for about a minute or two, the STOP and oil warning lights have come on for about 10 seconds.

The first time, I got to work, left the car for a couple of hours and checked the oil. The level is perfectly fine, and it's still nice and golden, as I should hope as I had it serviced only about 6 weeks ago.

When I switch on, it also says "oil ok", and I've connected up my RSTuner to read any diagnostic codes and there was nothing there.

Any ideas?

182FF with cup packs
oh, I dunno if it's related, but also a couple of times in the last week since the weather turned cold, when i first start up the idle seems to be hunting a bit. Going upto 12-1300rpm only for a short while though.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Because its so cold, the ECU raises the revs a little bit to help it run more stable, till its a little warmer then dies off, nothing to worry about.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.

In the winter, the engines are obviously colder, the ECU realises this and makes the idle speed increase slightly so the idle remains stable, when the engine warms up the ECU reduces the RPM at idle. back to its normal rate.

182FF with cup packs
In the winter, the engines are obviously colder, the ECU realises this and makes the idle speed increase slightly so the idle remains stable, when the engine warms up the ECU reduces the RPM at idle. back to its normal rate.

I relaise it does this, but shouldn't it be fairly stable rather than hunting up and down between 900 and 12/1300?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Sorry i mis-read your post, Gaz could be right with a oil pressure problem, of you could have a leak around the inlet pipes/manifold? .. maybe a split or something,

If diagnostics aint picking it up, could be a partly split pipe somewere?

As said, it sounds like it might be oil pressure. Don't take this lightly. It can have plenty of oil in the sump but if the pressure is low, you could be saying hello to a a rather large repair bill.

182FF with cup packs
OK, thanks for the advice guys, I'll get it booked in and get them to look at it, expecially as they serviced it not that long ago.

Clio 172 RS2
Pinko for what's it worth i had this too lately... STOP; LOW OIL light.
Only after start up from cold... scared the hell outta me.
Stopped the engine immediately , checked the level which was fine.

After re-start no warning?

Let us know the outcome when she's booked in!

Loss of oil pressure is the last thing we can use.
2 bad Renault Sport didn't install oil temp. & oil pressure gauges...

RB 182 cup
surely it could just be a dicky pressure switch ir the wire going to it?

really cant see it being a pressure problem on that newer car

Clio 172 RS2
Hi Tom, yeah it must be a sensor or something.

Still it makes you wonder for the worst.
Crankbearings failing / throwing rods! :eek:

182FF with cup packs
Well, I finally got to the bootom of it.

Garage couldn't get it to repeat whenever I left it with them, so I left it with them over the weekend and they figured it out. (also helps that they had a new guy start who's a Renault expert).

It turns out that when I had it serviced (dofferent garage near work) THEY PUT THE WRONG SORT OF OIL IN IT!

Just went and checked out the reciept, and low and behold they used 5W40. So when it was warmer, there was no issue, but with the colder nights and mornings, the thicker oil they used wasn't warming up quickly enough.

I'm now gonna see if I can claim the cost of the oil change and cost of investigating.

BG 182 FF
my old 1.2 use to do this sometimes the stop light would come on sometimes briefy a few weeks after I did a oil change, so did another oil change with a new sump washer and nut and never happened again.

BMW M135i
I'd want the oil pressure checking before i'd be happy with it 5w40 is the right oil and it should have the opposite effect when cold as the pressure will be higher with the thicker oil causing a higher restriction hence greater oil pressure. So it should easily satify the pressure switch, unless its leaking or knackered.

Its probably just the pressure switch being dodgey but i'd want it checked and sorted as its a lot cheaper to fix the pressure switch or even a dodgey pump before a rebuild is needed!

182FF with cup packs
I'd want the oil pressure checking before i'd be happy with it 5w40 is the right oil and it should have the opposite effect when cold as the pressure will be higher with the thicker oil causing a higher restriction hence greater oil pressure. So it should easily satify the pressure switch, unless its leaking or knackered.

Its probably just the pressure switch being dodgey but i'd want it checked and sorted as its a lot cheaper to fix the pressure switch or even a dodgey pump before a rebuild is needed!

The pressure switch was swapped out at the same time.

Now I don't know what to think if 5w40 is standard.

Oh well, if it doesn't happen again, then alls good.

BMW M135i
Which is thinner so if anything is more likely to run a lower oil pressure if anythings wrong, wants changing back to 5w40 ideally and if it doesn't do it again it was the pressure switch.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I was getting this last night - had my 36k service done about 2 months ago and all is fine. Happned a few times before from a cold start.

EVERYTIME this happens the car is on a hill

When I dip for oil on level ground - it's ok :S restart and the lights go out.
Oh and I'm using the Renault Elf Evolution 5w40 oil as reccomended

The car has been sitting on almost level ground since last night so I'll go out and re-check

"Navy" N17 TWO
Strangest thing is, when it happened last night I had just parked at a mates 5 mins before starting it again so it was still warm!