ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopping Brakes Rusting??

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Helloooo,

Quick question really. I recently fitted brand new Brembo HC disks all round and have noticed they are starting to show signs of surface rust. Anyway I can prevent this???

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Drive and use your brakes ;)

If it the vented edge and hub bit, just paint them sliver. NOT the contacting surface bettween pads and discs tho

SQ5
Use them? ;)

It's bare metal, unfortunately it'll happen.

You could remove them and spray with VHT paint all over then when braking it'll clean the surface and keep the rest covered ;)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Yeah the contact parts are fine, its just the edges that have started to show signs, think I have OCD so it bugs me!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I presume you're not on about the surface of the disc, but the top of the rotors/edge of it? I know a lot of people paint over it with hammerite. Don't know if it works but I presume it does.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
SRS? Good luck when you need to use the brakes!

Yes, I've just gone out and put WD40 and copper grease all over my disks.......I learnt my lesson when I put WD on my sister push bike when I was about 9 because her brakes were squeaking and she went plowing into my Dad's Volvo.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I presume you're not on about the surface of the disc, but the top of the rotors/edge of it? I know a lot of people paint over it with hammerite. Don't know if it works but I presume it does.

That's correct yeah and the edge around the hub where the alloys bolt onto.

SQ5
Yes, I've just gone out and put WD40 and copper grease all over my disks.......I learnt my lesson when I put WD on my sister push bike when I was about 9 because her brakes were squeaking and she went plowing into my Dad's Volvo.

Lol I'd wrote before the copper grease, but some people on here would put WD40 on their brakes!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
This thread cannot be serious?

Your avatar is s**t.

Needs this:

5556918380_386c9d4d7f.jpg

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
This thread cannot be serious?

The thread is serious, I just wanted to know if there was much I could do about it, I've never had new brakes before so wondered what my best option was, paint or a spray etc. I am clearly not being serious about covering my brakes in WD or copper grease.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member

LOL!

Seriously though, as others have said.

Whip the wheel off and paint the edge and the central bit with a lick of Hammerite, job done!

Audi A5
I Got some black high temp spray on order to spray my callipers and disc's. I know its only petty but for £7 I think its worth it.

Evo 5 RS
Most decent discs come with a coating to stop corrosion, or the cheaper ones have a zinc coating. Both will still rust. Move on!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Didn't know that.

Will be wanting some on the rear soon :).

renuine rears, only, ever. All other disks come with sub-standard wheelbearings. The only other way to do it is buy separates and press in good bearings, but it usually works out more expensive

FOOOOOKING hell don't use hammerite - it turns soft and gooey when it gets hot - that s**t will be sprayed everywhere first time you use the brakes hard

If it really bothers you take the discs off - clean them all up with some wire wool till they're sparkling then spray them black with some VHT paint. Go for a drive and the pads will burn the paint off anywhere they touch - the rest will stay black.

Or like others have said buy some discs that come with a colour coat already on

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
FOOOOOKING hell don't use hammerite - it turns soft and gooey when it gets hot - that s**t will be sprayed everywhere first time you use the brakes hard

If it really bothers you take the discs off - clean them all up with some wire wool till they're sparkling then spray them black with some VHT paint. Go for a drive and the pads will burn the paint off anywhere they touch - the rest will stay black.

Or like others have said buy some discs that come with a colour coat already on

You can buy high Temp hammerite for use on BBQ's etc.