ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange brake wear

172 Cup
Hi all,

I was under my 172 cup this afternoon and noticed that the o/s/f inner brake disc was only wearing on the centre of the disc and not on the whole disc as it should be. Can anyone think of a reason why this may be the case? The n/s/f is wearing as it should.

Pic:
StEdmundsbury-20130208-00070.jpg

Cup In bits
It's normal for tired brakes to go like that, short or infrequent journeys will cause it. In your case it looks like your burst CV boot has been throwing grease onto your disk though. New disk/pads and CV boot time for you!!

172 Cup
Thats what I don't understand though, the pads were new about 15 months ago, and the car gets driven 45 miles each day. The CV boot is an issue though, the nearside one isn't secured on either, bit strange when I look at the MOT history and it actually failed for the same problem in december 2011!

Cup In bits
Grease from the CV has caused it and 15 months is a long time mate. Your going to need two new driveshafts,disks,pads,and maybe abs sensors soon if you don't get that seen too.

172 Cup
I'm gonna go down to the garage next week and get them to shove some more grease in the CVs and clip them back on. Hopefully that'll sort them out, and I'll get some new brakes in a couple of months when I've got the money. Luckily with it being a cup I don't have to worry about ABS :). No idea why its got ABS rings on it though. Cheers for your help

182cup & 172 racecar
They all come with abs rings, cup ones aren't special. I would have those pads out to check them. looks like it's just the piston rubbing on the disc.

Would be very noisey though.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Speak to G172 and sort yourself out with some new discs and pads. Putting new pads on those discs was just a waste of cash really as thats not just happened.

Common for the inside face to look like that though after a few years abuse. Time to replace them though chap... new discs and pads at the sametime (don't you bloody dare put those current pads on new discs).

Mick

Cup In bits
I'm gonna go down to the garage next week and get them to shove some more grease in the CVs and clip them back on. Hopefully that'll sort them out, and I'll get some new brakes in a couple of months when I've got the money. Luckily with it being a cup I don't have to worry about ABS :). No idea why its got ABS rings on it though. Cheers for your help

Never realised it was a cup, you would be doing well to have ABS in hindsight :eek:

172 Cup
I'm sure its not the piston rubbing on the disc, would have probably noticed something was up without needing to look haha. I don't think I'll bother taking them apart until I buy new discs/pads. As said, it looks like its been like that for some time and the brakes do work so I'm sure leaving it another month or two will be ok.

I'm just surprised none of it was picked up on at the MOT in november!