ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange handling issues - Koni shocks/standard springs - 172

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Right, I swapped my standard shocks for some koni adjustables lastnight.

All top mounts done up tight, set the hardness to half way all round, and took it for a test drive. OMFG. It was like there was a child with ADHD holding the steering wheels. Skitty, camber grabbing, and generally felt unsafe.

Now, I havent touched the track rod ends, ball joints or anything like that, but am wondering whats gone on to upset the car so much?

Could the tracking now be out? Are the shocks a little shorter? More camber?

HELP, lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
IIRC, there's two Koni shock types, shorter and standard?

If you've got shorter shocks, and standard length springs, I'm going to guess that the dampers are currently doing 0 as they are fully extended, and the car is just bouncing around like mental on the springs.

Either that or you've knocked the tracking MILES out.

I'd check the shock type, then the tracking.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
IIRC, there's two Koni shock types, shorter and standard?

If you've got shorter shocks, and standard length springs, I'm going to guess that the dampers are currently doing 0 as they are fully extended, and the car is just bouncing around like mental on the springs.

Either that or you've knocked the tracking MILES out.

I'd check the shock type, then the tracking.

Surely they will still damp, irrespective?

How do I check fella?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I'd get an alignment check done before worrying about anything else...

When I had a play with the camber on mine I stupidly didn't recheck the Toe afterwards and it drove like you described..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Surely they will still damp, irrespective?

How do I check fella?

I've never ran Koni's so I have no idea I'm afraid, but having springs that are effectively too long for your shock would undoubtedly cause the shock to be less effective.

As Jamie says, alignment checks are cheap enough, I'd get that done first maybe.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Probably knocked the toe out by a mile, my Trophy was awful until i got it sorted ...

Wheel literally writhed around in my hands.

lol. Thats the one.

Quick-s**t it is for tracking tomoz then

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
OK, popped down to kwik-fit, put it on the lazorz.............. out by a f**king country mile, lol

Had it all lined up to -1.5deg on both sides. Now the steering wheel feels l#nice and weighty, and turn in is nothing short of awesome.

Gonna take it for a shake down later and set the koni's up. Thinking start off mid way and go from there. Any suggestions? Backs harder for show boating etyc etc??

PH1 172
OK, popped down to kwik-fit, put it on the lazorz.............. out by a f**king country mile, lol

Had it all lined up to -1.5deg on both sides. Now the steering wheel feels l#nice and weighty, and turn in is nothing short of awesome.

Gonna take it for a shake down later and set the koni's up. Thinking start off mid way and go from there. Any suggestions? Backs harder for show boating etyc etc??

good news there then! how much did kwickfit charge?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Softest all round for me roads are too sh!te for any harder!