ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange issue with my Trophy!

M2 Comp
Had a little trouble with my car this morning- I was driving to work when I noticed a sudden loss of power, when I accelerated in any gear the engine just felt bogged down and didn't do anything.

I pulled over and turned the engine off, tried to restart it and it wouldn't start. Eventually got it going (with some throttle) but I had to rev it in order to stop it from cutting out. When doing so, I noticed the temp gauge was moving up and down also. Now the temp gauge doesn't work at all.

Car now seems to start ok, I haven't driven it myself, but a family member drove it to the garage that normally work on my car and said it seemed ok, if maybe a little hesitant (they hadn't driven the car before so obviously not sure how it should be).

Anyone have any ideas?

A shiny black one.
My money is on temp sensor. Had the same problem with exactly the same symptoms you've described.

M2 Comp
Thanks for all your replies guys - really do hope it's the CTS...

Was only thinking about planning a trip to the 'ring last night, but not sure i'd trust it to get me there now!

M2 Comp
Ok so got my car back tonight. Nothing has been done as no issue could be found. However, on the way home, it started again (typical!).

It seemed fine to start with, for a good few minutes driving, but the problem then reoccurred. This time, I didn't loose power but I could see the temp gauge fluctuating as I was driving, going from cold to half way and vice-versa. Then as I pulled onto my driveway, the car was idling at 2,000rpm and when I pressed the accelerator the revs didn't increase and it was misfiring.

I've been doing some research and it seems it may not be the CTS, but the associated wiring? Can anybody shed any light on this and a way to check/fix? I'm tempted to order a CTS anyway, but don't want to replace it if it's in perfect working order...

Any input much appreciated!

Yes I had the exact same issue. Although my dealer tested the sensor and found that it was ok. It turned out to be the wiring where it plugged into the sensor. I suspect that this is actually the problem in nearly all cases.

M2 Comp
Yes I had the exact same issue. Although my dealer tested the sensor and found that it was ok. It turned out to be the wiring where it plugged into the sensor. I suspect that this is actually the problem in nearly all cases.

I'm leaning that way having read a bit more about it! Do you know how the dealer fixed it?

It was a Renault dealer, so most likely with some chewing gum and Selotope. I really don't know, but it never did it again.

PH2 172

Mick at Diamond Motors in Long Eaton is your wiring demon.

M2 Comp
Spent a bit of time on it tonight, I just disconnected the CTS, gave it a clean and reconnected making sure everything was nice and tight. Started it up and problem solved! I've done a good 30/40 miles since and its not missed a beat...

Time will tell if it has actually worked. I've ordered a CTS today anyway as I thought I might as well change it for what they cost.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I see you've sorted the problem now . But i had exactly the same on my 182 when it was literally 2 weeks old . All it was , was a loose connector for the temp sensor . I gave it a bit of a wiggle and it went away and 8 years later it's never come back .

M2 Comp
I see you've sorted the problem now . But i had exactly the same on my 182 when it was literally 2 weeks old . All it was , was a loose connector for the temp sensor . I gave it a bit of a wiggle and it went away and 8 years later it's never come back .

Fingers crossed that'll be the case with mine then! Must admit, it wasn't noticeably loose.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fingers crossed that'll be the case with mine then! Must admit, it wasn't noticeably loose.

Mine didn't feel loose either to be honest . But with it only being 2 weeks old I wondered what the hell was going on . You wouldn't expect that with a car brand new car . It was only after reading on here about the temp sensor issue that i realised what the problem was . Fingers crossed for ya It's the same problem .

M2 Comp
Mine didn't feel loose either to be honest . But with it only being 2 weeks old I wondered what the hell was going on . You wouldn't expect that with a car brand new car . It was only after reading on here about the temp sensor issue that i realised what the problem was . Fingers crossed for ya It's the same problem .

Cheers mate, and good work with yours, bet there aren't many one owner cars about now!

Mini JCW
It must have been you I spotted on the way to work then!

Pulled over in the Melbourne(ish) area on a country road?

Glad it's sorted though dude.

M2 Comp
It must have been you I spotted on the way to work then!

Pulled over in the Melbourne(ish) area on a country road?

Glad it's sorted though dude.

:lolup:

Yes that would of been me!!

Although possibly not me in the car depending on what time you passed...