ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange noises..........can't be diagnosed!!

133/225/CLS AMG
The missus 182 Cup has just been into Renault to have a noise investigated.

Its a creaking noise, only hear it at low speed such as parking or creeping over speed bumps etc. Can't really tell where the noise comes from except that it seems to be towards the front.

They have had the car today and can't actually locate the cause of the problem. They checked the shocks, suspension bushes, steering column etc.

They're taking the car back in next week for a couple of days so hopefully they'll crack the problem.

If anyone has any ideas or has experienced anything similar with their's, please let me know.

The dealers are actually pretty good from my experience but they haven't had a Clio come in with this particular problem.

Cheers :D

plus i'd check the shocks yourself...renault missed the fact that one of mine was leaking and was causing a creaking sound...

titanium 182,
the lower arms sometimes creak even if the bushes are not worn
sounds like a light creaking rolling along at very low speeds usually just removing them and re fitting to the correct torque and clean up bolt etc cures the problem asuming all is ok with lower arm etc, may not be the same problem but worth mentioning to them

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
All these creaks and knocks are part and parcel of the Clio Sport front suspension....no matter if stuff is worn or not, there are always noises as the whole setup is so firm with minimum tolerances.

I've come to accept the noises mine makes, but the top mount noise definitely is curable.

133/225/CLS AMG
I'll get these mentioned when it goes in for the second check next week.

Cupholder - funny you mention the noise even when something isn't worn, she's said that it hasn't made the noise since coming back even though they want to take another look. If they've taken apart the parts mentioned and put them back, maybe thats resolved it already?????

Tangoed Works
Got mad grinding on mine and they are taking it in for 2 days next week. Hasnt effected the handling, just bloody embarassing driving with loud creaking in a new car. Guy said top mount turrets may need slight grinding.

We will see next week.

133/225/CLS AMG
Sounds like a very similar kinda problem to my missus car.

Let me know how you get on with the dealers next week. The missus car is going in for two days next week as well, so we'll see what they say.

titanium 182,
the top mount noise normally occurs when on a fair amount of lock from what i have experienced .a renault dealer should of checked for it as it takes no time to check and is a well known prob, defo get the lower arm syndrome checked though and good luck with it

133/225/CLS AMG
Cool, I'll make sure she's got notes of all these points when it goes back in haha.

Cupholder - that symptom you described is exactly what it went in for a couple of months ago!! Full lock to the right and getting a similar creaking noise.

Peddled device
Had this when l first got my 182.Took it in twice but they never cured it :( It is best heard when going slow over speed bumps.........now l just go over them at 40mph ;)

133/225/CLS AMG
My Megane 225 is French, so was my Clio 172, Renault 5 and the other 3 Clios but none of them made funny creaking noises!! lol

But we'll let the dealer take a look, at least they are more than willing to try and resolve it so we'll let em.

Worse case is that it still makes the noise, at least we'll know its not gonna break on us haha.

182... again!
Mines just started creaking when steering slightly left or right at low speed. I'm assuming it's down to dry bushes somewhere considering the weather recently! Shall be interested to hear how you get on...

FF Black 182 + Cup Packs
Alex,

Mine is doing exactly the, only when moving the wheel at slow speeds and normally only when wheel is being turned 1/2 or max of one full turn. Did you or anyone find out what this is?

EP3 Civic Type R
Try owning a Ford... lol.

Taking the suspect bits apart and re-assembling may have just been enough to move or reposition whatever was rubbing/creaking before hand with any luck if the noise hasn't re-occured since!

BMW Z4 3.0i
I had the top mount squeaks when cornering on full lock with a bit of speed. Renault sorted that for nothing.

About a year before I sold my 172, it developed a different creak though. Sounded like something moving about around the front of the car. It only did it going over bumps, was only noticeable at low speeds because road noise was louder than the creak at speed. It was also much more liekely to happen going over a bump if I was braking at the time. Renault couldn't diagnose it. I gave up and just lived with it. Nothing broke after it developed and I didn't notice any difference in handling. It was just one more creak to go with the other creaks and rattles! All I can say is I rarely drove my 172 without the stereo on, it just depressed me!

clio 182 sport/
it was the same problem for mine and it was the suspenion top mounts. they took off the strut assy on both sides took the big nut off the top and greased each section and never heard a peep out of it again.:)

FF Black 182 + Cup Packs
picking it up in the morning, the have told me that it was a loose bolt in the steering column. will find out more tomorrow erm just checked the time, later today